Recreating the effect?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Tally Ho, All I can say is that 2 glasses doesn't get me drunk. Perhaps you have more drinking ahead of you to get your tolerance up. If you are a light weight, you will surely get drunk before you can notice anything

I think you misunderstood me, and I don't want this thread to devolve into a debate about who can drink who under the table.

I believe the local WS chapter can attest that I'm not a lightweight. It takes more than 2 drinks for me to get drunk too, but when I feel "secondaries" I feel them almost immediately (after a few sips). After 2 drinks it is replaced by a normal alcohol "buzz" (not drunkeness, mind you).

I've never drank enough absinthe to get drunk, although two gatherings ago I was quite buzzed. In fact I don't drink any spirit with the intention of getting drunk anymore. It's always a social thing. Though on Mead Day, it ends up happening.
Porkchops are good

#62 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Great article! I do try not to over-do it (sure, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions), but in those cases where I have, "mixing different types of alcohol" is by far the biggest culprit. And now I see why this is BAD (though, *of course* it seemed like a good idea at the time!)
My only personal experience that is at odds with the article is that a lot of physical activity (dancing) makes me feel better, rather than worse .... maybe because the dancing encourages me to drink more water.
:arrr:

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#63 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

While I seldom agree with (or even understand) anything that Boggy has to say

I'd be happy to be your half Polish- American translator for a 1% interest in Marteau, G. :devil:

Oops, obviously I've been watching far too much Dragon's Den on BBC America, lately.

My deepest apologies. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#64 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

I'm flattered by your confidence.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#65 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Oh, good point.

Make that 10%. :tongue:

#66 Eric S.

Eric S.

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

To me absinthe alongside any apertif has to be a sipping experience. It is just one of those unique drinks that has to be savored, it is a true art of the distiller and something to behold. The best part of the experience in drinking absinthe or even ouzo is detecting all the flavours and herbs inside each sip, and as the temp in the room changes the flavour profile seems to change too.

#67 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'd say it's your imagination. Cheers!

It's all a dream. Shhhhhhh!

Like this?

...red wine will wreck me...

Same for me as you and Boggy. I'm not very experienced with it to begin with, that might have something to do with my wreckage. Two glasses of a red and you have to take my keys. Well, maybe a bit of hyperbole, but you know that danged purple menace and those tannins!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#68 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

I'd say that crosses over into Nightmare!

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#69 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Headachesville, Daddio. I can knock back a few shots of Tequila to augment my beer buzz and suffer no ill effects. However, if I drink more than one glarse of red wine with dinner I get the stuffed-up headache within a half hour.

The moral? Cook with white whine so whatever you serve with dinner won't make the Bad Things happen. :laugh:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#70 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

if I drink more than one glarse of red wine with dinner I get the stuffed-up headache within a half hour.

That almost sounds like a sulfite allergy to me.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#71 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

I've seen that a lot. Try sulfite free wines. It's alleviated those symptoms for most of the people I know.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#72 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

if I drink more than one glarse

That almost sounds like a sulfite allergy to me.

Sounds Scottish to me. ;)

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#73 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Sounds :pirate: to me.

#74 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Aye, Matey, but 'tis nothing like the headache from a tankard o'grog :arrr:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#75 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

Red wine :3872-DrunkBanana: Danger! Will Robinson Danger!

I discovered red wine hangovers in colege, gallow red on sale for $.79 a gallon. It was a really bad weekend. Made cheap whiskey hangovers look good. I'm too old for that now.

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#76 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

Noteworthy is the fact when I am drinking wine (red, white, fortified, etc) on its own and I do not mix it with spirits, I am safe-I can easily drink 4 bottles of dry or sweet red (11-13%) in one sitting, or up to 2 litres of Sangria (in the range 9-15%) and I do not suffer at all and these, for some, might be enormous amounts.

However, if wine follows any spirit (sipped in moderation or not™), it does give me a hangover-I believe it is something in the wine than binds with fusels or congeners or acetylaldehydes in the spirits and make the concoction be deadly.

During one wedding reception I have consumed one small bottle (500ml) of Sobieski vodka-I was feeling alright, just "au courant", but when I have drunk one (yeah: ONE) glass of red wine thereafter, I have got drunk all of a sudden. Since then I am sticking either to one type of drink, or drink them in rounds: first the wine, pause, then for example whisky, pause, some absinthe, pause, brandy, pause, beer, pausing helps a lot. I have spent my New Year's Eve that way-been drinking everything that was at hand, but not one after another or by using other as a chaser-God forbid. No hangover.

Also, starting with the weakest stuff and increasing the alcohol content gradually helps-instead of chasing a glass of vodka with beer, first eat the beer and then shoot the shot of vodka. These methods I highly recommend to everyone.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#77 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

I've seen that a lot. Try sulfite free wines. It's alleviated those symptoms for most of the people I know.

My wife usually gets 'em. Usually. I have been known to cook with the cheaper stuff, so there's a bit of that floating around here as well.

e weakest stuff and increasing the alcohol content gradually helps-instead of chasing a glass of vodka with beer, first eat the beer and then shoot the shot of vodka. These methods I highly recommend to everyone.

I must disagree, this has led to uttter disaster in my experience. Have the strong stuff first, then gear down and relax on that bed of Stout. Throw some pork products in there and you've got a good day!

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#78 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Sounds Scottish to me. ;)

Ulster Scot technically, but raised embittered East Coast. And just can't do the single malts, or whisky in general. Must be a genetic defect....

#79 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

e weakest stuff and increasing the alcohol content gradually helps-instead of chasing a glass of vodka with beer, first eat the beer and then shoot the shot of vodka. These methods I highly recommend to everyone.

I must disagree, this has led to uttter disaster in my experience. Have the strong stuff first, then gear down and relax on that bed of Stout. Throw some pork products in there and you've got a good day!

Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, all in the clear.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#80 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Eating is indeed important-if there is nothing to eat, I won't partake in booze galore, no way. That is also acceptable what you are suggesting-remember having some vodka with friends and eating beer or two or five before going to sleep, so there is some superficial logic therein. Actually, the beer eaten just before going to bed provides vitamin C and vitamin B and helps dehydration.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#81 Zzz

Zzz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

ah i love this website!
"All Too Easy," said he who was visible. "I feel convenient," said he who was not.

#82 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Must be a genetic defect....

It's a "lowest of the low" Trainspotting thing.

The English are wankers, but the Scots were colonized by wankers. ;) :cheers:

#83 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

Actually, the beer eaten just before going to bed provides vitamin C and vitamin B and helps dehydration.

so does a heaping tablespoon of brewers yeast before retiring....
A 16 oz glass of fresh carrot juice helps too.....ice cold and chugged for breakfast.

#84 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

I find one of the most utterly fascinating things about absinthe, for me, is that no matter how much I drink of it/anything with it/before it...

If I END with absinthe that evening... I wake up the next day right as rain. Better then Advil and a Multi-vitamin. To be clear on this, I am not using hyperbole. Absinthe drunk at the end of a long night, and I will wake up feeling 10x's better then if I had just drunk whatever else it was I had that night.

I can think of zero science or logic to back this up, but there it is. (Okay... a little science. I have practiced my 'scientific method' and done 'much experimentation' to 'test my hypothesis', and it has proven correct every time.)

If anyone can explain this, I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, expect Larsy to be ending his loooong days at Tales every night with a little Marteau!

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#85 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

quote]
so does a heaping tablespoon of brewers yeast before retiring....
A 16 oz glass of fresh carrot juice helps too.....ice cold and chugged for breakfast.

I am allergic to carrots in any form-I would puke all the goodies out. Fruit juice generally is not advised due to acid creation in the stomach, waer™ or unsweetened tea, on the other hand, are perfect.

#86 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

What the hell is waer?

#87 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:58 AM

Heh heh, exactly.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#88 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

:laf:

Extrait de tansy, probablement.

Also known in the trade as bewaer™.

#89 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

waer™

The cure-all for nearly everything. I drink plenty of this all throughout the day.

*sip*
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#90 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Carrots are not fruit. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association