Marc

The Barcelona cache - 30 bottles

Honestly, to those that have never purchased, a sample is a great way to go.

However... the other camp would say a sample is utterly pointless, since (to me/many) having the original bottle is worth way more than the booze inside.

(but then, I'm a bit spoiled. I've had plenty of pre-ban, and I just am happy with the bottles now!)

Oxy is killing me with this! Enough for four glasses for 100GBP... that's roughly $142, or $35.50 a glass... Considering a glass of Marteau costs $14 at my local pub, this is a steal for vintage absinthe!

But my bride would kill me!

I just looked again right now and it seems like there are no more samples. I'm glad I weathered that storm... I came close!

I've been away from the forum for a long time, but I found my way back recently as I have a question regarding this cache actually. I was able to acquire one of the A samples.. the label is still, for the most part, intact.. Wanted to get some opinions on what I should do with this though. Should I leave it sealed and keep the intact bottle as a collectors item, or do I open it up and enjoy it with friends? I have tasted absinthe older than this, so it's not a matter of getting my first taste of pre-ban absinthe. I'm just curious to see what some other opinions are..

Send it to me. I'll drink it and tell you if it was worth opening or not! :tongue: Seriously though, I've always pondered this. If I had boat loads of cash I'd no doubt become a collector of rare spirits and such, but I couldn't possible imagine having something like that bottle, or older, and not drink it! I could hold off on the 200 year old rum, but pre, or close to pre-ban? No way!

I'm just curious to see what some other opinions are..

Since it is past it is expiry date :twitchsmile: , it might be detrimental to your health, better send it to me and I will analyze it thoroughly and tell you if I survived the poisoning or not :devil:

Thanks for all the offers to try it for me.. I'm glad everyone is looking out for my health! ;)

I decided to uncork her last night and share a glass with a good friend. I'll still have the bottle afterwards, and I get to enjoy the contents!

I took some pictures, will post them once they are ready.

Breathtaking! Is that an original dripper as well?

It was bought from Oxygenee maybe 3 years back.. Not an original, however it does look old for some reason. Needs a polish probably. The ones for sale on the site now seem to be silver in color. I'm glad I was able to get this one, I prefer the gold.

While I'm on the subject, I had a question about it's use. As you can see in the pictures, I place the spoon and sugar below the Cusenier brouilleur.. Is this correct? I tried putting the sugar/spoon on top of it but the sugar clogged the small hole.

While I'm on the subject, I had a question about it's use.

The original French instructions say to drop the sugar cube into the metal goblet then add water. I've done this with mixed results. If I'm in no hurry whatsoever then I'll do it that way; it can take upwards of a half-hour for the drink to be prepared as you wait for a dislodgged granule to disolve out of the small hole. The only way I made this work consistantly is to "pre-soak" the sugar cube. I place the cube in the goblet, drip just enough water onto the cube to kinda saturate it then wait until it looks like it has the consistancy of sludge. Then I add the rest of the water. Again, this requires patience. When I'm not feeling particulary patient, I use a wee bit of simple syrup added to the water in the goblet instead of a cube and it works perfectly every time. :cheers:

When did Pernod Fils Tarragona stop production all together? If there are bottles from the 50's & 60's, what happened? Or is that rancid Pernod available today just the evolution of the original product? If they were making it the traditional way into the 60's, why'd they stop? Why can't they do it again?

A French manager from Pernod visited the Spanish facilities in the 60's and said 'Whooaa! You can't make absinthe, it's illegal!' So they stopped. And almost every other Spanish producer stopped, too. For a while, at least.

At least that was the story I was told by one of the largest wine/spirits distributors in Spain.

No money in it for Pernod-Ricard until recently and it is still only a very tiny drop in their bucket.

From reading all the history it seemed as though it was never officially made illegal in Spain, at least nothing jumped out at me saying so. Whatever. Thanks for the info!

It wasn't declared illegal in Spain, but the French apparently didn't know it (or care, or didn't want to be professionally associated with it) and the Spanish producers didn't want to be doing something that Pernod wasn't...

But I thought that the Spanish Pernod was just an offshoot that someone from the French Pernod started? Hey, whatever... going in circles.

Pernod moved to Spain after the ban in France, if I understand correctly. Anise became more forward due to the "Spanish palate."

I think Pernod-Ricard just bought the rights to the name somewhere along the way (does someone more knowledgeable know when?), thus the only continuity there (i.e. the current Pernod) is the name.

Definitely chime in if I've botched something!