Sign in to follow this  
Meatwaggon

Anyone tried the Pernod Fils Tarragona before?

I just saw today that Oxy put up some new cache bottles, and I'll tell you, although it's not technically pre-ban, it's old. And I really had to spend some time convincing myself not to spend the $800 for a bottle without a label. (a bottle w/ label is just under $1000) Seems like it'd be worth buying just for the fact that it is old, has a special part of absinthe history (the remnants of PF) and is probably, for the price, a great step towards pre-ban. I really almost bought one. Man, now that this thread exists I'm going to be reconsidering until it falls into the depths of forum limbo!!!

THANKS...

I've got a pretty good sized cache of Tarragona which I've compiled from my trips to Spain with bottles spanning a 20 year period or so.

The older ones are magnificent. The younger ones, not as good, but still enjoyable.

I won't comment on the price though.

However, if there is anyone interested in sampling some of the Brulard, PM me.

The Tarragona fronm the 20s-30s is generally quite comparable to the pre-ban Pernod Fils.

The 50s/60s stuff, as Brian said, is quite enjoyable, but lacks the depth of the older Tarragonas, with the wormwood being much more in the background, and the anise becoming much more dominant.

Based on the single review posted at FV it's apparently got too much badiane, and definitely different tasting than the pre-ban PF. I've got money burning in my pockets (or checking account) but after reading this review I'm waffling a little more.

Actually I'm on the fence about it also. I've made no commitment, yet.

I haven't totally dismissed it either.

it's apparently got too much badiane, and definitely different tasting than the pre-ban PF.

The older bottles, yes. The first PF Tarragona, I believe from the early 30's was one of the best vintage brands I've ever tried.

The 1934 Tarr I had was close(ish) to some of the middlin' pre-bans.

The post-1950 tarr's were a different beverage. Delightful in their own right, but not an absinthe. Closer to a Pernod.

(and yes, there are middlin'/not great pre-bans... I hate when people assume that old = good EVERY time. Yes, you are lucky to be drinking a pre-ban.. unless it sucks.)

I have had only two Tarragonas, so the comparison is limited, however the 1930s is a very good example of post-ban, whereas the 1950s strives towards pastis and the likes. When compared with pre-bans (like Berger or Duval) they are a tad worse; badiane content is not the issue there.

I was able to pick up a bottle of this cache, and short answer is, I enjoyed it. I would not, however, put it on the same level as pre-ban. Before this I had the pleasure of sampling an Edouard Pernod Lunel c1880, and the experience was very different. What I really enjoyed about the Tarragona is the fact that it was my first vintage bottle. I really had fun opening it up and experiencing the history. It's also a nice collectors item once I drink her up. The bottles definitely were not in great shape and thats why they were offered at a great price. I doubt I will ever have the cash to afford a full vintage bottle in good quality, so this was the next best thing. I've only had the one glass so far, so once I try it again I'll try and post a proper review. Until then, here are some pictures!

_MG_2161.jpg

_MG_2162.jpg

_MG_2163.jpg

_MG_2164.jpg

_MG_2165.jpg

_MG_2168.jpg

_MG_2172.jpg

_MG_2174.jpg

_MG_2177.jpg

_MG_2179.jpg

Very nice pics, Chuck! :thumbup:

And your assessment of that era's Tarragona is shared by a few of our members here.

If you haven't tried 1930s Tarragona, jump on any opportunity...it's in the same league with pre-ban Pernod Fils.

Yes, great pics! Did you feel it needed both of your (brownish) sugar cubes, which maybe I could presume are not as sweet as, say white sugar cubes? Have you tried it without sugar yet?

Yes, great pics! Did you feel it needed both of your (brownish) sugar cubes, which maybe I could presume are not as sweet as, say white sugar cubes? Have you tried it without sugar yet?

Oops, I should have clarified this originally.. it's really just one brown sugar cube. I split the cube in half because the whole piece doesn't fit under the auto brouilleur.

I find the brown sugar a little less sweet than the white.. I understand it's also less processed than white.. but who knows for sure. I haven't tried it without sugar yet, but plan to this weekend hopefully.

Very nice pics, Chuck! :thumbup:

And your assessment of that era's Tarragona is shared by a few of our members here.

If you haven't tried 1930s Tarragona, jump on any opportunity...it's in the same league with pre-ban Pernod Fils.

I'd love to try it, I'll have to keep my eyes open for some samples/bottles. I noticed you're in Bellingham actually.. I'm down there from time to time, it would be nice to share a drink together sometime!

Also, thanks for the compliments on the pictures. Alas, I can't take credit for them though. My good friend is a photographer by trade, so he was kind enough to take them for me.

Edited by Chuck5021

I've tended to not sugar vintages, typically. My reasoning is that, at that price/rarity, I really JUST want to taste the absinthe. Damn the mouthfeel (I already know what absinthe feels like in ma mouf'!).

Course, I am a half-cuber anyway, so that may be part of it.

I'd call that bottle a beautiful keeper and a nice piece. Congrats, friend!