Photo

Anyone tried the Pernod Fils Tarragona before?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

Wondering if anyone has insights on this 'post-ban' absinthe. :cheers:
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#2 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

I just saw today that Oxy put up some new cache bottles, and I'll tell you, although it's not technically pre-ban, it's old. And I really had to spend some time convincing myself not to spend the $800 for a bottle without a label. (a bottle w/ label is just under $1000) Seems like it'd be worth buying just for the fact that it is old, has a special part of absinthe history (the remnants of PF) and is probably, for the price, a great step towards pre-ban. I really almost bought one. Man, now that this thread exists I'm going to be reconsidering until it falls into the depths of forum limbo!!!

THANKS...

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Buy it!

They don't make it anymore. *fork in the eye winky smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

I've got a pretty good sized cache of Tarragona which I've compiled from my trips to Spain with bottles spanning a 20 year period or so.

The older ones are magnificent. The younger ones, not as good, but still enjoyable.

I won't comment on the price though.

However, if there is anyone interested in sampling some of the Brulard, PM me.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

The Tarragona fronm the 20s-30s is generally quite comparable to the pre-ban Pernod Fils.

The 50s/60s stuff, as Brian said, is quite enjoyable, but lacks the depth of the older Tarragonas, with the wormwood being much more in the background, and the anise becoming much more dominant.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

Based on the single review posted at FV it's apparently got too much badiane, and definitely different tasting than the pre-ban PF. I've got money burning in my pockets (or checking account) but after reading this review I'm waffling a little more.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#8 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Actually I'm on the fence about it also. I've made no commitment, yet.

I haven't totally dismissed it either.

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

it's apparently got too much badiane, and definitely different tasting than the pre-ban PF.

The older bottles, yes. The first PF Tarragona, I believe from the early 30's was one of the best vintage brands I've ever tried.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Ditto.

#11 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

You guys are not helping at all :unsure: :wacko: :no: :g:

#12 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

And you were doing so well in the Obsello Absenta thread. <sigh> *wink*

#13 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

The 1934 Tarr I had was close(ish) to some of the middlin' pre-bans.

The post-1950 tarr's were a different beverage. Delightful in their own right, but not an absinthe. Closer to a Pernod.

(and yes, there are middlin'/not great pre-bans... I hate when people assume that old = good EVERY time. Yes, you are lucky to be drinking a pre-ban.. unless it sucks.)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#14 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

I have had only two Tarragonas, so the comparison is limited, however the 1930s is a very good example of post-ban, whereas the 1950s strives towards pastis and the likes. When compared with pre-bans (like Berger or Duval) they are a tad worse; badiane content is not the issue there.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#15 Chuck5021

Chuck5021

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

I was able to pick up a bottle of this cache, and short answer is, I enjoyed it. I would not, however, put it on the same level as pre-ban. Before this I had the pleasure of sampling an Edouard Pernod Lunel c1880, and the experience was very different. What I really enjoyed about the Tarragona is the fact that it was my first vintage bottle. I really had fun opening it up and experiencing the history. It's also a nice collectors item once I drink her up. The bottles definitely were not in great shape and thats why they were offered at a great price. I doubt I will ever have the cash to afford a full vintage bottle in good quality, so this was the next best thing. I've only had the one glass so far, so once I try it again I'll try and post a proper review. Until then, here are some pictures!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I like my coffee black, just like my metal

#16 Chuck5021

Chuck5021

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

and a few more..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

Very nice pics, Chuck! :thumbup:

And your assessment of that era's Tarragona is shared by a few of our members here.

If you haven't tried 1930s Tarragona, jump on any opportunity...it's in the same league with pre-ban Pernod Fils.

#18 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

Yes, great pics! Did you feel it needed both of your (brownish) sugar cubes, which maybe I could presume are not as sweet as, say white sugar cubes? Have you tried it without sugar yet?
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#19 Chuck5021

Chuck5021

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yes, great pics! Did you feel it needed both of your (brownish) sugar cubes, which maybe I could presume are not as sweet as, say white sugar cubes? Have you tried it without sugar yet?

Oops, I should have clarified this originally.. it's really just one brown sugar cube. I split the cube in half because the whole piece doesn't fit under the auto brouilleur.

I find the brown sugar a little less sweet than the white.. I understand it's also less processed than white.. but who knows for sure. I haven't tried it without sugar yet, but plan to this weekend hopefully.

Very nice pics, Chuck! :thumbup:

And your assessment of that era's Tarragona is shared by a few of our members here.

If you haven't tried 1930s Tarragona, jump on any opportunity...it's in the same league with pre-ban Pernod Fils.

I'd love to try it, I'll have to keep my eyes open for some samples/bottles. I noticed you're in Bellingham actually.. I'm down there from time to time, it would be nice to share a drink together sometime!

Also, thanks for the compliments on the pictures. Alas, I can't take credit for them though. My good friend is a photographer by trade, so he was kind enough to take them for me.

Edited by Chuck5021, 11 March 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#20 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I've tended to not sugar vintages, typically. My reasoning is that, at that price/rarity, I really JUST want to taste the absinthe. Damn the mouthfeel (I already know what absinthe feels like in ma mouf'!).

Course, I am a half-cuber anyway, so that may be part of it.

I'd call that bottle a beautiful keeper and a nice piece. Congrats, friend!

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association