Photo

A little Monkey Gland history (and recipe)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Riley

Joe Riley

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Interesting: Monkey Gland

Calls for Obsello.
Fine Spirits Manager,Ace Beverage Washington, D.C.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

I could see Obsello working just fine in a Monkey Gland. I disagree with the writer, however. I think a Monkey Gland is a fine cocktail. Darcy seems a little jaded.

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Agreed. I like a good Monkey Gland.

But he's probably right about the PR angle.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#4 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

Sounds pretty delicious to me.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#5 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

Darcy seems a little jaded.

He's just looking for a wife.

This is a tasty drink, but I've only had it one time, and with an absinthe far better than Obsello.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#6 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

Monkey Gland is nice. And inspired me to mess around and come up with the Garden Party.
:cheers:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#7 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

I was about to say "I love a good Monkey Gland...", but that didn't sound quite right. The Monkey Gland is one of my favorite absinthe cocktails so far. I think it's a great balance of tastyness once you find the right proportions (I recommend either the recipe from the absinthe issue of Imbibe or the one on the Marteau website).

I always use grenadine (although I only have Rose's, one of these days I'll have to get some good stuff), can't imagine raspberry syrup working nearly as well.

I've used Obsello, Marteau, Kübler, Leopold Bros., and Henri Bardouin all to good (but slightly varying of couse) effect. Obsello was especially good if I recall correctly. Both Aviation and Voyager are excellent gins to use, though I use New Amsterdam when I'm conserving the good stuff.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#8 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

I just ran across your entry for the Garden Party, Pete. I've been trying to find more recipes using both absinthe and St. Germain, looks like I'll have to give your recipe a try!

#9 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Cool! Let me know what you think. :cheers:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#10 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

I recently had a Monkey Gland at Tini Bigs in Seattle (of course made with Voyager Gin and Pacifique Absinthe) and it was the best cocktail I've ever had. They made it with some of the bar's own locally made grenadine that kicked butt!

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#11 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I've tried the Monkey Gland a few times by respectable bartenders, and still dislike it. I may be going to ZZ tomorrow, I'll take your good advice Zman and try it there!

Green Baron-you're in Seattle, get thee to Trader Joes! Pick up some pomegranate juice and shake it with equal amounts of sugar. Store in freezer.

#12 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the tip Rhonda! I hadn't realized it was that easy. So that really motivated me, but as I'm wont to do, I decided to make it more complicated for myself. I started searching for recipes, and I found this article at Cocktail Chronicles.

I bought some POM and decided to go with the 'cooked' method and reduced extra slow to avoid any potential burnt taste. I also couldn't resist throwing just a few dashes of sweet vermouth and orange bitters in there. Since I have no granular sugar, I hit it with a combo of sugar cubes and simple syrup. To give it some fridge longevity, I added some 100 proof vodka (I pretty much detest vodka, so I was happy to find a use for it).

Although it doesn't impart the pretty neon orange Monkey Gland glow that the artificially colored Rose's does, I can definitely appreciate the real pomegranite fruit flavor. Yum!

I'm also finding out that if you use Marteau, you definitely have to be careful. The vegetal spice notes (that make it so great in a Sazerac or on it's own with a splash of maraschino to give some examples) can overwhelm if you overdo it like I did.

#13 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

That's the common error that leads many to claim that absinthe is hard to mix with; mostly these are marketers who just want to sell more absinthe.

I seldom use more than 1/4 oz of Marteau—or any other absinthe—in a cocktail, which is about equivalent to a bar spoon full, or three or four dashes. Since absinthe is used in cocktails pretty much just like bitters, I keep some in an old bitters bottle.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#14 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

I find those arguments absurd. It's been, historically, one of the most-used mixers on cocktail history (pre-ban), and post ban, absinthe substitutes still profliferate. They often see ratios and f--k them up, using an oz instead of a teaspoon, or other such nonsense.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association