Sign in to follow this  
tayker

Whiskey

Much respect to all of you folks. I could not drink whiskey straight or neat, maybe i should try sometime but I LOVE whiskey Crown Royal is a soft spot for me and my family. If dad drinks it you usually end up doing the same. However Burbon is another one of my favorites w/ coke or some lemon lime soda.

Since my Aberlour 10 is all gone, I got around to opening the Aberlour 15 the other day. Very nice indeed. I'd gone to see an old co-worker to share a cigar and some scotch. I cringed as he told me he usually drinks Inver House. Now it seems that I've "spoiled" him. I took a bottle of Highland Park 18 too and we both favored the Aberlour. I still have a bottle of Aberlour 15 Double Cask that I picked up passing through Heathrow that is still sealed. All in all it was a great day as he insisted we go visit his daughter, who I hadn't seen in years. She sent her kids out for clams and crabs and we had a nice little feast. I fell head over heels for one of her dogs, an Irish Wolfhound that was one of the most endearing pets I've come across. If only they weren't so huge I'd want one.

Mmm, whiskey is definitely my favorite spirit. Absinthe is a VERY close 2nd, but I've had a love affair with Irish whiskey since I was a wee laddie. I have a Jameson Distillery Reserve with my name engraved on the bottle. :) I won't be opening that until a VERY special occasion comes along. It's a blend of 3 pot-still whiskeys. The Jameson's pot-still is almost impossible to get in the States (I think). My bro picked it up on a vacation to Ireland. Good bro.

So it's good then. Do you think it would do good in some of the standard rye cocktails? I've been thinking about buying for awhile now but for $85 its a tough call.

I got mine for $65, and I'd say it was worth it. I haven't made a Sazerac with it yet but I have no doubts it will shine in one.

I just picked up a bottle of the High West Rendezvous Rye and it's great for sipping.

I think this is the whiskey that won the ADI craft distiller Best of Show. Too bad they don't make it themselves. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, because it is good whiskey. You just need to know what it really is: whiskey made by the major distilleries that doesn't fit into their portfolios or blends.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/search?q=high+west

I finally got to try this whisky at a bar here. I thought I should try it first before forking out the cash. Man was it ever good. A bit similar to the Forty Creek whisky but a lot more depth of flavor, reminded me of brandy. I don't think I have a choice now but to fork out the doe for a bottle.

I brought home a few bottles of unaged ("white dog") whiskey with me from a recent trip to Nashville. It's pretty interesting stuff--much more palatable than the moonshine I had occasion to try now and again growing up in the South. But very different than what I expected. What I find fascinating is how different it tastes from aged whiskey. I never really appreciated this with the homemade stuff; all I ever tasted was the alcohol, which quickly numbed my mouth and torched my sinuses. At lower proof, it has a curiously fruity, melon-like flavor--very similar to a cachaca or a pisco.

Of the few cocktail recipes I've found calling for it so far, my favorite is the New Carre, which is served at Toby Maloney's bars. The recipe can be found in a Tennessean article that ran while I was in town (on page 3, right). I also liked the White Manhattan pretty well.

Anybody else been playing with commercial unaged whiskeys?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the brands of white dog I brought home are MBR, Buffalo Trace, and Death's Door. Of the three, I'd say I like the Death's Door best.

Edited by AiO

I have had Buffalo Trace white dog, and of course i frequently enjoy Balcones new make.

I love the taste of unaged whiskey. It is odd to me how unaged whiskey seems to go straight to my head.

Hey all. I finally managed to find a bottle of Red Breast 12yr. Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey. I had been wanting to try it for awhile, and now I'm very happy I dropped the $$$ on a bottle. I think it's fantastic. It's a little more robust than your 12yr. Jameson, but very similar sweetness. Definitely needs a drop or 2 of water to open up. Anyone else a fan?

A big BIG fan.

Wait a couple of months and try it in a hot toddy with a little demerara sugar. Heaven.

Heh, maybe I will. But then, I enjoyed it so much, I'm not sure I could bear to add anything to it. I daresay it would detract from the experience! Hmmm... but now you have me thinking...

From Imbibe, by David Wondrich:

Hot Toddy

2 oz. Redbreast

3-4 oz. hot water

1 teaspoon Demerara sugar

To a warmed mug, add sugar, hot water, and spirits. Stir.

Trust me.

You guys have me interested.

In other news, my Jameson collection is almost complete. I'm on a limited budget, so I'm not going for any old stuff they don't make anymore, nor the Vintage bottles. $250 is a tad steep for a single bottle of anything. I've got the regular stuff, the 12 yr., the 18yr., the Gold Label., and the Distillery Reserve (a gift). I'm still looking for the Signature Reserve, but they only sell it in duty-free shops at airports, and I don't fly that often... oh well.

Managed to get my hands on a bottle of Old Comber 30yo in original box for my da as a 'thank you' for all the help, and because it was his birthday as well. Getting the bottle has proven to be easier than getting him to open it and try!

Personally I'm very fond of the Black Bush, plus it's more affordable in these crappy economic times for me;)

Also, in regards to the hot toddy (same for the hot ports as well) we always serve it with a slice of lemon and the cloves as Brian mentioned. The smell and taste of either is enough to warm anyone!

comber.jpg

Edited by GrayWolf

Wow, nice find! You can't beat a Irish Pure Pot Still in a Hot Toddy. Usually I just go for sugar and hot water. Sometimes a lemon peel but I think thats a whisky skin.

Tonight Ron and I are sipping a few things. Leopolds Maryland style Rye and the American whiskey(e?)

Oh, there was some Rittenhouse Rye amongst the bunch. Ron took pictures. I was merely a spectator and taster. Not a bad gig tonight. :cheers:

Tonight Jen and I are drinking Laphroaig. It's absolutely delicious!

Hands down my favorite Scotch. As a matter of fact, I like the in-your-face attitude of the young 10-year. Perfectly briny salty air and heavily peated. Just brilliant. Hi. I'm the epitome of an Islay malt. Pleased to meet you.

Tonight Ron and I are sipping a few things. Leopolds Maryland style Rye and the American whiskey(e?)

Oh, there was some Rittenhouse Rye amongst the bunch. Ron took pictures. I was merely a spectator and taster. Not a bad gig tonight. :cheers:

Pictures are on facebook. Gimme a second and I'll post some here..

Tasting some of the Leopold whiskies

254160_10150631818040247_505500246_19051097_3619067_n.jpg

Tombstone cocktail

263939_10150631808455247_505500246_19050903_8288131_n.jpg

2 oz Rittenhouse Rye

1 tsp Rich Simple Syrup (I used 2 bar spoons)

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

I'm a whiskey lover at heart myself as well, particularly bourbons. For those of you who are sitting the line on neat vs. iced, I highly recommend Blanton's. It's perhaps one of the smoothest whiskey's I've had with out need for rocks or water. I tend to enjoy a touch of chill though for my normal cap (this is florida, and it's beastly hot most of the year) but I also highly recommend the use of "whiskey stones" or "bourbon balls" (essentially large spheres of ice frozen so solid they don't really have a chance to melt much before you finish a standard pour. Eagle rare and Maker's 46 are also great for a lower price point, and I've recently become endeared to the evan williams single barrel vintage for those weeks when funds are tight.

Also, highly recommend Mitcher's single barrel rye for a very nice sazerac, and redbreast for irish whiskey fans.

(edit to remove quotes)

Edited by nny12345

evan williams single barrel vintage

I bought my first bottle of this fairly recently, the vintage 2000, bottled just shy of 10 years of age. Very good whiskey, neat and in cocktails. It was a few dollars more than my usual Buffalo Trace; unfortunately I don't currently have any BT on hand, I'm curious to try a side-by-side tasting.

Last time at the store I grabbed a bottle of the standard black label Evan Williams just to see how it compares to the single barrel. Haven't tried it yet, but can hardly go wrong at $13 for a full liter. I hope.

Just got some Dark Corner Distillery moonshine tonight.

Great stuff, amazingly smooth for unaged corn whiskey.

Really good quality stuff. Made here in Greenville SC (we are visiting) right in downtown.

Last time at the store I grabbed a bottle of the standard black label Evan Williams just to see how it compares to the single barrel. Haven't tried it yet, but can hardly go wrong at $13 for a full liter. I hope.

9 months later I've had chance to try this once or twice :)

The EW black label is a very good whiskey. The single barrel has much more depth, a rich vanilla/caramel/toffee that comes with the extra age, along with prune/raisin dried fruit notes. The black label is just a nice, classic bourbon, the usual vanilla and light spice, maybe a little more "spirity" than the single barrel but by no means rough or underaged. Great value at $13, but I'll continue to splurge a bit and keep Buffalo Trace around as the all-around cocktail bourbon.