• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

I tried my everyday 12yo Highland Park neat, and with a couple drops of water like someone mentioned in another thread. I have to say I still like it on the rocks. Neat was sweet but with a burn. 2 drops of water open the flavor and made the sweetness more prevalent, but there was a burn at the finish. To me, on ice I get the flavors sans the burn. I still have some 10yo Bushmills and 1792 that I haven't tried yet.

Thoughts?
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 -MD-

-MD-

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

I think it really all comes down to personal preference.

I like it with a couple drops of water, but my father (who can and does afford much better Scotch than I) only takes his on the rocks. And his palette is just as advanced as anyone I know.

To me, it's a drink like Armagnac...to be sipped and savored straight (I view the burn as part of the overall balance). To him, it's a nice chilled and refreshing after-work drink...to be sipped and savored on the rocks.

Go with what you like the best; don't let anyone dictate rules (except for the "don't light your absinthe on fire" one). ;)

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Some of us have more sensitive palates and mouth tissue. That first few big gulps out of a can of Coke feel like my mouth is full of fire ants, yet I love it. So I'm a rocks guy, otherwise the burn detracts from the flavor. But I use only one cube for the better whiskies.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#4 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

When I order a decent whiskey, I'll ask for a glass of ice with it, and then add individual cubes as necessary.

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

The coldness from the ice tends to desensitize the mouth from some of that alcohol burn, which is why you don't experience it as much that way.

When doing a tasting, or a review of a whiskey/whisky, I tend to first try it neat, then with a few drops of water. That's the normal process for a professional taster as well.

When I'm solely drinking for the enjoyment of it, I normally drink it either neat or with an ice cube or two.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

If I'm drinking a bourbon (which is rarely), I'll usually open it up with a couple of drops of water, but if it's a single malt scotch, I'll generally enjoy it neat.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Depends on what I'm drinking and my frame of mind.

#8 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Usually neat, sometimes with a small splash of cold water if after the first taste I feel like mellowing out the alc. heat a bit (and it can pretty obviously change/open aromas and flavors). I rarely put ice in anything I drink; not sure why, just habit I guess.

#9 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

One thing I've learned about whiskey in general, that I think applies to Scotch, bourbon and Irish Whiskey, it's hard to nail down a consistent top 10 - let alone a top 3. Most absinthe costs ~$50-$70, and it's easy to gauge a ballpark of where to start.

Whiskey can cost from $20-$400+, then you have ages, single malt/grain, vatted/blended, and other nuances. UGH! I picked up some 12yo Macallan, and I have to say that I like the 12yo Highland Park more - which is cheaper. Right now I want a whiskey that has some of the smoky hints of scotch with the sweetness of bourbon, but balanced nicely.

Edit:
To clarify
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#10 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

Neat, especially Single Malts and Bourbons. Used to be ice-guy, but 3-4 cubes per 2/3 full tumbler of whisky.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#11 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

From years ago, when I drank scotch all the time, Black Label on the rocks was my drink of choice. I still drink any blended scotch that way. Neat in one of those special Riedel single malt glasses is the norm for any single malt. But when it comes to items like Macallan Cask Strength and Aberlour a'bunadh I find that a little water is usually helpful, whether frozen or not.

#12 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

Anyone here ever try Stranahans Colorado Whiskey? I'm having some on the rocks right now, very nice.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey website.
See my DIY video projector with a 7ft wide screen at the address below!

http://www.lumenlab....?showtopic=2833

Artificial intelligence will never replace human stupidity.

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Yes, I have tried it. If you don't like it, you can send me the rest.

#14 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

That's ok....I'll struggle through it. :)
See my DIY video projector with a 7ft wide screen at the address below!

http://www.lumenlab....?showtopic=2833

Artificial intelligence will never replace human stupidity.

#15 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

Anyone here ever try Stranahans Colorado Whiskey? I'm having some on the rocks right now, very nice.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey website.

Lovely malt whiskey. They're in the process of moving to another location in Denver. They will finally make their own mash after buying their wash for years. It's a neat operation, and the distillers are all way cool.

#16 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

We drink Stranahan's instead of water here in Colorado!

The best whiskey cocktail I have going right now is a Fancy-Free made with Stranahan's, Luxardo Maraschino, Fee Bros. whiskey barrel aged bitters, and Fee Bros. orange bitters. I find the Stranahan's has enough of a spice to it that it makes up for going with the Fee Bros. bitters in place of the Angostura. Yum.

Thanks for the update Leopold, I hadn't realized that they were moving and going to start fermenting their own wash. Once they get settled it'll be time for another visit!

#17 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

Makers Mark coming out with a 94-proof barrel aged with toasted oak staves. Might have to give this one a try.

http://www.whatdoesj...s-mark-whiskey/

Posted Image
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:28 AM

I heard that it was going to be bought by a certain retailer and bottled as an exclusive to that retailer.

Kind of like how Park Avenue Liquors buys scotch for the same reason.

I had a small sample of it a few months ago. Quite good.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Makers Mark coming out with a 94-proof barrel aged with toasted oak staves. Might have to give this one a try.

Nice! Sounds fabulous.

I heard that it was going to be bought by a certain retailer and bottled as an exclusive to that retailer.

Well, spill the beans when you're able to. I think I'd like to add a bottle or three to my bar.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#20 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Will when I can. :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#21 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Brian has his finger on the pulse of the liquor world. If it happened a minute ago, he knew about it an hour ago. I swear! :wave2:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#22 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:58 AM

He's a good one! :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#23 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

Brian has his finger on the pulse of the liquor world.

There are worse places to have your finger. I'd say we're all kind of lucky to have someone in our midst who's in the know!

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#24 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

Oh pshaw. :blush:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#25 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

There are worse places to have your finger.

...and there are worse things than fingers to have in those places.... :laf:
:laugh: Surprise! Surprise!...that's not my finger!!!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by OneBadPig, 28 January 2010 - 04:27 PM.

"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#26 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

I was thinking of a meat grinder?

#27 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

I think as long as nobody's fingers are being pulled everything should be okay...

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#28 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

I was thinking of a meat grinder?

I guess my mind was in the gutter....
Went to the nearest liquor store with a shopping list of Laphroaig 10, Glenfiddich, and MacCallan 12. Out of stock on those...the only thing of interest was Tallisker but it came with a set of glasses that i had no interest in.
Tomorrow we might try again at another store.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#29 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Went to the nearest liquor store with a shopping list of Laphroaig 10, Glenfiddich, and MacCallan 12. Out of stock on those.

Hmm.. OBP you really need to make a stop by. (Not pictured: Jameson 12yr and Knob Creek 9yr)
Posted Image
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#30 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Damn, i need to quit farting around and get to Austin. I am obsessed with single malt Scotch lately....

Balcones Distilling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association