Sign in to follow this  
tayker

Whiskey

I tried my everyday 12yo Highland Park neat, and with a couple drops of water like someone mentioned in another thread. I have to say I still like it on the rocks. Neat was sweet but with a burn. 2 drops of water open the flavor and made the sweetness more prevalent, but there was a burn at the finish. To me, on ice I get the flavors sans the burn. I still have some 10yo Bushmills and 1792 that I haven't tried yet.

Thoughts?

I think it really all comes down to personal preference.

I like it with a couple drops of water, but my father (who can and does afford much better Scotch than I) only takes his on the rocks. And his palette is just as advanced as anyone I know.

To me, it's a drink like Armagnac...to be sipped and savored straight (I view the burn as part of the overall balance). To him, it's a nice chilled and refreshing after-work drink...to be sipped and savored on the rocks.

Go with what you like the best; don't let anyone dictate rules (except for the "don't light your absinthe on fire" one). ;)

Some of us have more sensitive palates and mouth tissue. That first few big gulps out of a can of Coke feel like my mouth is full of fire ants, yet I love it. So I'm a rocks guy, otherwise the burn detracts from the flavor. But I use only one cube for the better whiskies.

The coldness from the ice tends to desensitize the mouth from some of that alcohol burn, which is why you don't experience it as much that way.

When doing a tasting, or a review of a whiskey/whisky, I tend to first try it neat, then with a few drops of water. That's the normal process for a professional taster as well.

When I'm solely drinking for the enjoyment of it, I normally drink it either neat or with an ice cube or two.

If I'm drinking a bourbon (which is rarely), I'll usually open it up with a couple of drops of water, but if it's a single malt scotch, I'll generally enjoy it neat.

Usually neat, sometimes with a small splash of cold water if after the first taste I feel like mellowing out the alc. heat a bit (and it can pretty obviously change/open aromas and flavors). I rarely put ice in anything I drink; not sure why, just habit I guess.

One thing I've learned about whiskey in general, that I think applies to Scotch, bourbon and Irish Whiskey, it's hard to nail down a consistent top 10 - let alone a top 3. Most absinthe costs ~$50-$70, and it's easy to gauge a ballpark of where to start.

Whiskey can cost from $20-$400+, then you have ages, single malt/grain, vatted/blended, and other nuances. UGH! I picked up some 12yo Macallan, and I have to say that I like the 12yo Highland Park more - which is cheaper. Right now I want a whiskey that has some of the smoky hints of scotch with the sweetness of bourbon, but balanced nicely.

Edit:

To clarify

Neat, especially Single Malts and Bourbons. Used to be ice-guy, but 3-4 cubes per 2/3 full tumbler of whisky.

From years ago, when I drank scotch all the time, Black Label on the rocks was my drink of choice. I still drink any blended scotch that way. Neat in one of those special Riedel single malt glasses is the norm for any single malt. But when it comes to items like Macallan Cask Strength and Aberlour a'bunadh I find that a little water is usually helpful, whether frozen or not.

Anyone here ever try Stranahans Colorado Whiskey? I'm having some on the rocks right now, very nice.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey website.

Lovely malt whiskey. They're in the process of moving to another location in Denver. They will finally make their own mash after buying their wash for years. It's a neat operation, and the distillers are all way cool.

We drink Stranahan's instead of water here in Colorado!

The best whiskey cocktail I have going right now is a Fancy-Free made with Stranahan's, Luxardo Maraschino, Fee Bros. whiskey barrel aged bitters, and Fee Bros. orange bitters. I find the Stranahan's has enough of a spice to it that it makes up for going with the Fee Bros. bitters in place of the Angostura. Yum.

Thanks for the update Leopold, I hadn't realized that they were moving and going to start fermenting their own wash. Once they get settled it'll be time for another visit!

I heard that it was going to be bought by a certain retailer and bottled as an exclusive to that retailer.

Kind of like how Park Avenue Liquors buys scotch for the same reason.

I had a small sample of it a few months ago. Quite good.

Makers Mark coming out with a 94-proof barrel aged with toasted oak staves. Might have to give this one a try.

Nice! Sounds fabulous.

I heard that it was going to be bought by a certain retailer and bottled as an exclusive to that retailer.

Well, spill the beans when you're able to. I think I'd like to add a bottle or three to my bar.

Brian has his finger on the pulse of the liquor world. If it happened a minute ago, he knew about it an hour ago. I swear! :wave2:

Brian has his finger on the pulse of the liquor world.

There are worse places to have your finger. I'd say we're all kind of lucky to have someone in our midst who's in the know!

There are worse places to have your finger.

...and there are worse things than fingers to have in those places.... :laf:

:laugh: Surprise! Surprise!...that's not my finger!!!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by OneBadPig

I was thinking of a meat grinder?

I guess my mind was in the gutter....

Went to the nearest liquor store with a shopping list of Laphroaig 10, Glenfiddich, and MacCallan 12. Out of stock on those...the only thing of interest was Tallisker but it came with a set of glasses that i had no interest in.

Tomorrow we might try again at another store.

Went to the nearest liquor store with a shopping list of Laphroaig 10, Glenfiddich, and MacCallan 12. Out of stock on those.

Hmm.. OBP you really need to make a stop by. (Not pictured: Jameson 12yr and Knob Creek 9yr)

DSC01257.jpg