17 replies to this topic

#1 ZeeOhSix

ZeeOhSix

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Well although I love my job, and I cannot even begin to think of how many millions the Army has spent on me throughout flight school, it is soon time to pay the piper and head on over to Afghanistan for a year. I will be leaving in about 2 months, 3 at the most. That being said, I now have 6 bottles of Absinthe, and although I will surely drink some by then, I will also surely buy many more before then. Is there any particular thing I should be aware of when storing my absinthe for a year? They will most likely be stored in a commercial storage facility with most of my other belongings. After reading so much on how well Absinthe ages, and many positive outcomes, I am looking forward to tasting them when I get back, however I don't want to come back with hundreds of dollars of ruined Absinthe. Is it advisable to simply cork them with their supplied corks and put them in a box for a year? Thanks,

-Nathan

#2 Bkultra

Bkultra

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Absinthe should be stored in a cool, room temperature, dry place away from light and heat. They should also be kept out of the refrigerator and freezer as anethole can crystallize inside the bottle, creating a 'scum' in the bottle which may or may not dissolve back into solution as the bottle warms. Properly stored absinthes not only maintain their quality, but may improve in aroma, flavor, and complexity with aging.

The public storage unit might not have the ideal temperatures depending on where you live.

#3 ZeeOhSix

ZeeOhSix

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

That was what I was most afraid of. The Absinthe will be stored in North Carolina, and although the items inside the storage unit may not be subjected to the extremes in temperature, it may still get close to freezing and also rather warm in the summer. I am looking into a climate controlled unit for my Z06. Perhaps I will keep the Absinthe in there as well. All of my most valuable possessions ought to be together anyhow right?

-Nathan

#4 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

My basement is the perfect temperature! :devil:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#5 Bkultra

Bkultra

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

And I will be more than happy to keep your vet in my garage :devil:

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

Is there any particular thing I should be aware of when storing my absinthe for a year?

Don't let your friends know where it is.

They will most likely be stored in a commercial storage facility with most of my other belongings. ... Is it advisable to simply cork them with their supplied corks and put them in a box for a year?

That'll never do. I'd be happy to keep an eye on them for you. PM'ing you my shipping details.

Seriously though: cool room temp, corked tight, upright, out of light.

Edit: Jeez. One phone call and everyone beats me to the punsch.

I am looking into a climate controlled unit for my Z06.

Put the absinthe in the back seat of the 'vette.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#7 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hey, we're on top of things, boss.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#8 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hey bro. Wherever you can find the coolest, darkest, driest place is as good as you can do. One important, if slightly difficult thing, to do is to NOT open any bottles you don't plan on FINISHING before you deploy. Complete/drink a bottle before you crack open another.

Shelf life goes up exponentially (sp?) when you do that.

Or, no joke and kidding aside, give yer bottles to a buddy who has a decent place to store 'em. They take up almost no space, and (as long as you trust the guy/gal) they will be there, safe and sound when you return to us.

When ya get back, lemme know. The first (8) drinks are on me.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

What they said.

Stay safe over there Nathan.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#10 ZeeOhSix

ZeeOhSix

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

One important, if slightly difficult thing, to do is to NOT open any bottles you don't plan on FINISHING before you deploy. Complete/drink a bottle before you crack open another.

Shelf life goes up exponentially (sp?) when you do that

Larspeart, thank you for the advice, but I am usually so giddy when a new bottle arrives, that I open it and have a taste within the hour. I completely lack the self control for that. I'll let DUNY store the unopened bottles for me, while I keep the opened ones in my cupboard.

I'll do my best to find someone in the area to store them at their house for me. Now if only I could find a friend who is completely repulsed by the taste of anise, and even so, I'm not sure if I could trust them to keep theirs hands off.

#11 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

I'm sure you can find plenty who hate anise. Wanna better-ensure their not meddling? Just tell them "I need you to store my Black Licorice Liquor"... 8 outta 10 Americans will steer clear.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#12 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

GStone's advice is most critical here:

Seriously though: cool room temp, corked tight, upright, out of light.

Make sure those bottles are UPRIGHT! Otherwise, you run the risk of the absinthe tasting like cork - if not worse. I believe OMG_Bill told a horror story about vintage absinthe that was stored on its side, was it you, Bill?
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#13 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Put the absinthe in the back seat of the 'vette.

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

A verte in a 'vette?...

I keep hearing Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood shouting, "A bastard from a basket... :twitchsmile:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

OMG_Bill told a horror story about vintage absinthe that was stored on its side, was it you, Bill?

Yes it was me. The cork pieces are still on my desk and the tainted absinthe is next to the cork parts. The aroma was amazing but the taste was KOS bad. Upright, corked tight and no light.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#16 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

*sniff* Doesn't it just bring a tear to your eye, to see a young, new absinthe enthusiast taken warmly into our midst. We're offering to not only watch over his absinthe but his 'vette too!

As Slim Pickins would say, "Sounds like the makins for a pretty good weekend in Vegas to me!"

#17 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

I gave all my wines and my absinthes (as well as any I ordered while deployed) to my Parents with strict instructions: Wines stored sideways, absinthe stored upright – and all of it in a dark cool place. Frequent movements don’t bode well for bottles sometimes. Stored correctly you’ll keep them for years, perhaps a lifetime. All above recommendations are very true and accurate. I’d reiterate, a good friend or family member is probably the safest bet.

I’ve gone months or years without a sip. But thankfully I managed to keep everything stored well and centrally located. My folks have no clue what it is or how to drink it but they keep it all sealed up for me.

PM me and we'll talk in-country louche ;)
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#18 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

While I don't in-country, I do 'louche on the run' a lot (traveling exec).

The flask, a hotel cup, and a pack of sugar swiped from the coffee condiments serverette... and a sports bottle of water make for all you need!

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association