Sign in to follow this  
tayker

Tea

I need calming but I know nothing about loose leaf tea.

Want a short course during your visit to MT?

It is calming.

You'll be hooked too.

Hi Mat! Hugs to the bride to be :heart:

I do honestly love Zhena's Gypsy Teas. Cloth satchels, high quality tea, which is apparently fair trade. ( :pirate: <-- Fair? I don't know)

link: http://www.gypsytea.com/

I honestly love their black teas most of all. My mother used to get them from the food pantry when we lived in MA, but we can't find any out here for the life of me.

All the good food is back in the East.

My girl and I are big fans of The Tao of Tea, and their 500 Mile Chai is our go-to tea for evenings when you want to relax with some stimulating conversation. High points go to their First Flush Darjeeling, as well.

I'll second Jay's recommendation for The Tao of Tea; I love their Black Peony and Longan black teas! And if you enjoy spiced chai, I very highly recommend Morning Glory Chai, which is very spicy and one of the best things that can ever happen to your taste buds.

Locally here there is a lovely little company called 'Suki Tea'. Their spiced citrus (Black tea, apple, orange pieces, cinnamon, cloves, cardomom and pink pepper) was absolutely divine this winter! It was also used as a tannin base in my winter soltice mead and really hits the spot.

Teavanna is another one I frequent... but mostly for their cups and pots. Gotta love those dragonflies!

For my flowering teas I buy at The Exotic Teapot. Again, it's closest to me, and so far they've had best value for money.

I'm with you GrayWolf, Teavana (their Ayurvedic White Chai is wonderful) is great and I'm in love with the dragonflies too, if only I could wrestle the money for the set from my conscience.

I prefer Southern tea, which is "Sweet Tea" where you add a load of sugar to it. Helps it taste better. Mostly only two kinds of tea: sweet and unsweet. But I also like Green Tea. I'd like to try out some other kinds of tea as well.

I was in this cozy little restaurant in Biloxi Mississippi called Aunt Jenny's and asked for some unsweetened tea. In the sweetest little southern accent came the reply, "Now honey why would anyone want to drink that." Bless her heart she quickly brewed a small batch just for me.

And as for hot tea. I'm a sucker for darjeeling. Right around 4pm every day before I help the kids with their homework.

I just got into David's tea, my sister bought me a sampler for Christmas. Not sure if theres stores in the States. Many yummy flavors that compliment both seasons here in Montreal.

I'm an earl grey man but recently I found Tazo's organic chai at Biglots for 2 bucks a box.

YUM.

The herb packet is spectacular in this: black tea, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, star anise.

Has a nice peppery bite.

I haven't had any of that in a long time but I like it a lot. We have a local tea company that puts out an excellent ceylon and a hot cinamon black which is organic as well.

I'm an earl grey man but recently I found Tazo's organic chai at Biglots for 2 bucks a box.

So what you bought were dry packets, and not the liquid concentrate? I don't believe I've ever come across that variation for Tazo (although I have had the Oregon Chai powder). I'll have to look for that - thanks for mentioning it! I do love a nice sweet milky chai.

a_clockwork_orange_milk_bar.jpg

Yes, dry bags.

In Ballston Spa NY where we used to live there was a tea shop called the Whistling Kettle. They had over 100 varieties of tea and were just delicious. They were responsible for breaking my wife of her southern tea sugar addiction, it was glorious.

:heart:

Semi- off topic, but...

To all tea drinkers, I have found tea-maker Valhalla- The Breville OneTouch. Get it.

No, seriously. Get...It.

It does everything you've always wanted when making tea, besides giving you an HJ.

Breville OneTouch.

(I think I love it more than my fountain even...)

Lars and Ambear, nice kettles! I'm not much of a gadget guy, I still heat my tea water at home in a kettle on the stove, but I finally broke down and bought an electric kettle for the office (not quite as de-luxe as Ambear's programmable beast). Man, it sounds like a jet engine and heats water in a big hurry! I don't know why I won't buy one for home. It really makes tea brewing a pleasure to heat the water in a minute. (Maybe someday I'll buy an absinthe fountain as well -- at least I finally moved up from the plastic sports bottle to a glass carafe)

Mmmm, rooibos. Mmmm, chai. Oh, I gotta try that cardamon! I mostly drink oolongs and green, both Chinese greens and Japaneses sencha.

Hi everyone,

we drink chai. I think the best chai is made with mamri tea. I use a different brand than this, it's called 'Tea of Assam' which IIRC is where all mamri is from

mamri-2lbs-250x250.png

You're supposed to boil the milk, water, sugar, tea masala and tea together, filter through sieve and serve but I cheat.

I just boil the water and steep the mamri in a pot like any other tea. I have some tea masala in a sprinkle can, because Handsome Husband doesn't like it as strong as I. So when I get ready to serve, I'll sprinkle in the masala to taste, add sugar (he and I also differ on that) and use half-and-half.

Instead of sugar and half-and-half, some people use sweetened condensed milk.

But you've gotta use the mamri tea, for it's strong enough to stand up to the masala and creamy milk. Mamri has a malty flavour, if I had to describe it

Edited by tami

I got a shipment of Harney and Sons teas yesterday. I started the morning off with a cup of golden monkey and just steeped a cup of yanagi green.

I love some good tea.

Edited by ripper911

I've been messing around with guayusa, which isn't from the camellia senensis family. It's pretty closely related to mate, and is in the holly family. It has a very vegetal taste, kind of reminiscent of spinach and green tea, depending upon the brewing strength. I've thrown in some chai spices with it and thought it was prettay, prettay pretty good.