• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

What is this "getting out" of which you speak?

<------- The original Cloisters guy. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

I need calming but I know nothing about loose leaf tea.

Want a short course during your visit to MT?
It is calming.
You'll be hooked too.

Hi Mat! Hugs to the bride to be :heart:
I am the wood nymph.

#33 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Jules! Hugs right back your way from the both of us to you and yours :heart:
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#34 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I do honestly love Zhena's Gypsy Teas. Cloth satchels, high quality tea, which is apparently fair trade. ( :pirate: <-- Fair? I don't know)
link: http://www.gypsytea.com/
I honestly love their black teas most of all. My mother used to get them from the food pantry when we lived in MA, but we can't find any out here for the life of me.

All the good food is back in the East.
It is my firm belief that Chance is the fairest thing in the world. She can never be fully swayed in ones favor, else she'll become Certainty, who is another- more vengeful- woman entirely.

"A man of wisdom knows his words will be ignored by most, but he still speaks for those few blessed hearts who will listen."

#35 Hiril_Galen

Hiril_Galen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

My girl and I are big fans of The Tao of Tea, and their 500 Mile Chai is our go-to tea for evenings when you want to relax with some stimulating conversation. High points go to their First Flush Darjeeling, as well.

I'll second Jay's recommendation for The Tao of Tea; I love their Black Peony and Longan black teas! And if you enjoy spiced chai, I very highly recommend Morning Glory Chai, which is very spicy and one of the best things that can ever happen to your taste buds.

#36 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

The one that keeps disappearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:20 AM

Locally here there is a lovely little company called 'Suki Tea'. Their spiced citrus (Black tea, apple, orange pieces, cinnamon, cloves, cardomom and pink pepper) was absolutely divine this winter! It was also used as a tannin base in my winter soltice mead and really hits the spot.

Teavanna is another one I frequent... but mostly for their cups and pots. Gotta love those dragonflies!

For my flowering teas I buy at The Exotic Teapot. Again, it's closest to me, and so far they've had best value for money.
Alcohol may be the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.

#37 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

I'm with you GrayWolf, Teavana (their Ayurvedic White Chai is wonderful) is great and I'm in love with the dragonflies too, if only I could wrestle the money for the set from my conscience.
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#38 T.C.

T.C.

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

I prefer Southern tea, which is "Sweet Tea" where you add a load of sugar to it. Helps it taste better. Mostly only two kinds of tea: sweet and unsweet. But I also like Green Tea. I'd like to try out some other kinds of tea as well.

I was in this cozy little restaurant in Biloxi Mississippi called Aunt Jenny's and asked for some unsweetened tea. In the sweetest little southern accent came the reply, "Now honey why would anyone want to drink that." Bless her heart she quickly brewed a small batch just for me.

And as for hot tea. I'm a sucker for darjeeling. Right around 4pm every day before I help the kids with their homework.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don’t make sense
Refrigerator

#39 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

I just got into David's tea, my sister bought me a sampler for Christmas. Not sure if theres stores in the States. Many yummy flavors that compliment both seasons here in Montreal.

#40 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm an earl grey man but recently I found Tazo's organic chai at Biglots for 2 bucks a box.

YUM.

The herb packet is spectacular in this: black tea, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, star anise.

Has a nice peppery bite.

#41 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I haven't had any of that in a long time but I like it a lot. We have a local tea company that puts out an excellent ceylon and a hot cinamon black which is organic as well.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#42 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm an earl grey man but recently I found Tazo's organic chai at Biglots for 2 bucks a box.

So what you bought were dry packets, and not the liquid concentrate? I don't believe I've ever come across that variation for Tazo (although I have had the Oregon Chai powder). I'll have to look for that - thanks for mentioning it! I do love a nice sweet milky chai.

Posted Image

#43 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yes, dry bags.

In Ballston Spa NY where we used to live there was a tea shop called the Whistling Kettle. They had over 100 varieties of tea and were just delicious. They were responsible for breaking my wife of her southern tea sugar addiction, it was glorious.

:heart:

#44 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Semi- off topic, but...

To all tea drinkers, I have found tea-maker Valhalla- The Breville OneTouch. Get it.

No, seriously. Get...It.

It does everything you've always wanted when making tea, besides giving you an HJ.

Breville OneTouch.

(I think I love it more than my fountain even...)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#45 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Damn, nice!

My current setup is one of these suckers in tandem with one of these.

That and Mr. Camomile just went all out and bought me a fabulous Yixing tea set...now I just need a good night to season it.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#46 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

My current favourite is green tea mixed with fresh grapefruit juice, simple syrup, and ice. I'm not too picky about the brand of green tea.
When life gives you lemons, garnish your martini.
When life gives you honey, trade it for some lemons.

#47 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

My current favorite is Rooibos with a healthy splash of the house blanche. I also enjoy chai with the house verte. Always seeking that balance between earth and sky.
I am the wood nymph.

#48 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

I stay stocked with chai. Specifically Ahmad's cardamon tea. If you've spend time out in this part of the world, it's familiar. If you haven't, get some! Tea that is.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#49 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Lars and Ambear, nice kettles! I'm not much of a gadget guy, I still heat my tea water at home in a kettle on the stove, but I finally broke down and bought an electric kettle for the office (not quite as de-luxe as Ambear's programmable beast). Man, it sounds like a jet engine and heats water in a big hurry! I don't know why I won't buy one for home. It really makes tea brewing a pleasure to heat the water in a minute. (Maybe someday I'll buy an absinthe fountain as well -- at least I finally moved up from the plastic sports bottle to a glass carafe)

Mmmm, rooibos. Mmmm, chai. Oh, I gotta try that cardamon! I mostly drink oolongs and green, both Chinese greens and Japaneses sencha.

#50 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,602 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

Ambear, nice kettles!

That's what E. said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#51 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

:laugh:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#52 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Man, I hung that one right over the plate for ya Abs :laf:

#53 tami

tami

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi everyone,

we drink chai. I think the best chai is made with mamri tea. I use a different brand than this, it's called 'Tea of Assam' which IIRC is where all mamri is from
Posted Image

You're supposed to boil the milk, water, sugar, tea masala and tea together, filter through sieve and serve but I cheat.

I just boil the water and steep the mamri in a pot like any other tea. I have some tea masala in a sprinkle can, because Handsome Husband doesn't like it as strong as I. So when I get ready to serve, I'll sprinkle in the masala to taste, add sugar (he and I also differ on that) and use half-and-half.

Instead of sugar and half-and-half, some people use sweetened condensed milk.

But you've gotta use the mamri tea, for it's strong enough to stand up to the masala and creamy milk. Mamri has a malty flavour, if I had to describe it

Edited by tami, 18 February 2012 - 11:38 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association