Sign in to follow this  
Rodan

Greetings From Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone,

Ive recently re-kindled my interest in absinthe. :wave2:

Being from Canada, were quite limited in the selection of different alcoholic beverages that can be purchased... when absinthe initially arrived for retail sale, i quickly went out to discover what the hype was about (not the hallucinogenic-thurjone hype though :laf: ).

After a couple of dismal failures (Pernod brand 'absinthe', 'absente' and the perfect kitsch of brands like 'hills') i was discouraged and gave up.

A couple of years ago, I quit working in a wine store that i was at for 4 years, but i left with a good knowledge of spirits wine and beer (my favorite), which is why i want to experience something palletable.

Still, recently i have had this longing to try a 'legitimate' absinthe because i know that the communities (like this one) are not raving and ranting about the kitsch that i tried before.

So I decided to join this forum and 'read read read'! Next time im in the USA, ill be sure to pick up something worthwhile (like a Nouvelle Orleans). As far as i know, i still havent experienced 'absinthe' in the passionate way its talked about here.

Anyone have any suggestions for a Canadian who wants to discover the real deal? Are there any noteworthy brands available in Canada?

thanks! hope to get to know the community! :cheers:

Welcome! :cheers:

Anyone have any suggestions for a Canadian who wants to discover the real deal?

Move out of Canada?

Are there any noteworthy brands available in Canada?

Clandestine La Bleue is very good and available in Canada. You also have a brand named Sirene that's supposed to be coming soon, and I like that one a lot too.

Within Canada you can get Taboo, Taboo Gold (when it's available from Oxy), Clandestine la Bleue, and soon Sirene, apparently, but that's in Ontario, not Alberta. However, you have private liquor stores in Alberta, so perhaps some of them could be convinced to start carrying some good brands. No?

You could also get La Fee, but don't bother with that. Check out RueVerte.fr...I've not ordered anything from them yet, but apparently they ship to Canada and they have a lot of worthwhile brands. I can't personally vouch for them yet though. Fine Spirits Corner ships to Canada and has some good stuff but they're very expensive. My advice as a Canadian: support the locally available stuff as much as possible, such as the CLB.

Welcome! :cheers:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Although Alberta claims to be private... its not. Its restricted to a provincial regulatory company called the AGLC (the alberta gaming and liquor board). Basically this means that liquor stores in Alberta are 'free' to carry anything that the AGLC offers... and they don't offer much in the line of obscure or interesting beverages. Not only that, but to 'convince' them to carry different products requires a justification based on 'assured sales'... something that no single private store can provide (were talking pallets of product, not just a couple cases).

Alberta claims 'private' but its simply not, in the sense that product availability is literally under the whim of the AGLC.... believe me ive had a couple frustrating experiences while trying to get some rare or small batch brewed Belgian beers in the store i used to work at.... to bad eh!

Instead were left with ... Pernod Absinthe, "absente" and hills... why bring in the worst instead of the best?

Lots of people have been suggesting this "taboo" absinthe... the name really throws me off but.. ill trust you guys. Ill do some phoning-around tomorrow, hope someone near me carries this product.

Interesting... before i 'added this reply' i was looking at 'taboo absinthe' webpage.. seems that they really are legit. Distilled, no artificial color, or artificial flavor... plus its recommended bu a couple people already. Must be worth a shot!

ill keep you guys updates on whether or not i can get this... if i can ill grab some tomorrow (exciting).

Ill check out Clandestine la Bleue, and Sirene while im at it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks!

Edited by Rodan

Welcome! Lived in Calgary for a few years myself :)

My wife and I were in BC last weekend and picked up a bottle of Taboo. Not too bad!

(This is coming from two huge snobs, so it's definitely worth a shot.)

I would strongly endorse the Clandestine. I think the Taboo is good, too.

To your South, we aren't doing much better than what you have locally: Kübler, Lucid and a couple of things not absinthe. We are gently encouraging our package stores to expand their offerings and hopefully our local selection will change soon.

Ah the "sun road"... beautiful! We used to take day trips just to drive through that pass.

Good news! I can get Taboo without leaving the city or mail ordering... comes to 46.05$ for 500ml.

By tonight ill be tasting a worthy product! :) By thoughts, of course, will be posted as well.

I suppose that ill move off of this 'newcomers introduction' thread and post in the real section?