Ken Hallenius

A Poll at The Absinthe Review Network

Alan Moss has a link on his blog to a poll being conducted by The Absinthe Review Network that asks about USA-available absinthes, as well as future offerings. It's neither a scientific nor comprehensive poll, but it might help provide some insights into what is popular and what's going to be popular going forward.

I've already given my responses (it takes like 3 minutes), perhaps y'all might chime in?

Absinthe in the USA Poll by TARN

Done, but it made me realize just how much I spend on absinthe

Top 5

Eddy

Belle Amie

NO

L'Italienne

This can change on a near daily basis

Hey guys, thanks for taking the survey. Because a free service was used and is limited to only 100 people per survey, I actually have to keep swapping out links and posting a "fresh" survey. Because I will also be posting on FB and the main MS absinthe group, this is going to get a little complicated to keep up on! So, if you find that a certain survey is full and can't take it, I apologise. Someone on Myspace already complained about it, so I had to give them the secondary link, but I'll have one on the website soon that will be checked on twice a day, so if you're having trouble, that one will always be good.

Results will be posted next month! :cheers:

This is very exciting, Ben. Thanks for the work.

It would be interesting to see the results from each group as well as all dumped together. If the different groups are similar, that should indicate that absinthe education is catching on. If the results are wildly skewed, then WS, TARN, Alan's blog and FV (and others, I'm sure) still have their work cut out for them.

Well thanks, Ben, it's a good start! I noticed a few already-available mainstream products that didn't get included - Vieux Carre, for example. But I like the invitation to get the questions out there!

My favorite 5, for reference:

Marteau

Vieux Pontarlier

Clandestine La Bleue

Jade PF 1901

Roquette 1797

You're welcome, Absomphe! Glad you enjoyed it.

Ken, thanks for pointing that out, perhaps I should have made a note of this. I suppose I was trying to focus more on the mainstream brands (or else I would've included DP's forthcoming brands as well :) ). Also, I didn't want the list to be long enough that it felt like a chore to wade through! :wheelchair:

Cheers!

EDIT: Looks like there's been a little bit of cheating from someone trying to promote their brand...the responses have been dealt with accordingly.

Thanks for posting this Ben! It was fun to take, and its interesting to see how my own tastes have changed after just a few months and many tastes.

My current top 5 are

Marteau

Clandestine

Obsello

St George

With those last two up for debate, as I just got VDF, Blanche, Eddie and VS in the mail today. Obsello & George have become old favorites lately. Coquette I've only tried once. I've gotta wrap my tongue around an absithe a few times before it's love. I still get a lavendar taste from Vieux Pontarlier.

What? In questions 4 and 5 not a single option for any of the wonderful Eichelberger absinthe offerings...

Guess it is too late to amend the survey?

I only wanted absinthe on the list that was confirmed as coming to the US relatively soon. You're not a,lone in wanting Eich on the list though, Auguru!

I heard yesterday that François Guy has just been approved, by the way.

This is very exciting, Ben. Thanks for the work.

It would be interesting to see the results from each group as well as all dumped together. If the different groups are similar, that should indicate that absinthe education is catching on. If the results are wildly skewed, then WS, TARN, Alan's blog and FV (and others, I'm sure) still have their work cut out for them.

I have it set up so I can monitor results from WS, Myspace, Facebook, and a few other places independantly. So yes, that will be one of the comparisons in the report. So far the results on MS compatred to WS are night and day. But it should provide a good veteran vs. casual absinthe drinkers perspective.

I'm going to be a nice guy and not mention who it was that tried to cheat so long as they don't do it again. :thumbdown:

I only wanted absinthe on the list that was confirmed as coming to the US relatively soon.

Eddy and Doubs are coming to the US soon? I'll be a VERY happy man if this is true.

So far the results on MS compatred to WS are night and day. But it should provide a good veteran vs. casual absinthe drinkers perspective.

I went to the poll from MS, and in light of this those results should be weighted either against me or against them! :fork:

I only wanted absinthe on the list that was confirmed as coming to the US relatively soon.

Eddy and Doubs are coming to the US soon? I'll be a VERY happy man if this is true.

Ok, so those are some exceptions, but I didn't want too many of them! :)

I couldn't fill it out with complete accuracy because of Vieux Carre not being in there. I only checked off 1 American absinthe because at this time there's only 1 that I really like that was listed.

That's fine, Tally Ho. If that's the only absinthe you really like then your single choice was accurate.

I wanted to change the survey partway through, but that would make the percentages inaccurate...

Thanks MD, things have slowed down considerably, so every person counts!

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could go to find respondents? It looks like the people that wanted to take it have pretty much done so already at this point, but as it stands, I don''t think there have been enough responses to warrant releasing the results just yet. :g:

So far the respondents from Myspace have been heavily favouring brands like Mansinthe, and WS members have been rather fond of Jade, Duplais, and La Clandestine.

Kamal has just e-mailed me saying he will put the survey in the next newsletter, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good number to fill it out from that exposure. Tomorrow I'll be contacting Bevmo and a few others to see if they will help spread the word also. I really want this to be a large-scale outreach and obtain answers from a wide variety of sources.

On a side-note, I DID add a few brand choices recently. I know I mentioned before I would not alter the questions in any way, but I think in the long run this will make things more accurate. I will manually factor in the mentions of brands respondents wanted in the results once the survey has concluded. A small margin of accuracy will be lost, but I think overall it will be a good overview of what people are drinking.

If even a single retailer drops Pernod and starts stocking Duplais all this effort will be worth the trouble. Oh my,...wait until you see the percentage that favours LTV! :biggrin:

If you want to print out a handy little checklist, Alan has compiled a list of pending brands at realabsinthe.blogspot.com.

DUNY absinthe survey campaign will launch in a few days... :thumbup: