Sign in to follow this  
thetripscaptain

Absinthe:Water Ratio

Close enough. The ratio I try to go for is the "stop adding water before it gets too thin".

It's a personal preference and only achieved by practice. Oh, how I like to practice. You can catch/taste the subtleties at different ratios as well as different temps.

Hope that wasn't too vague.

Enjoy the practice. Cheers!

varies for each absinthe. slowly pour ice-water into the absinthe-dosed glass while watching the 'hydrophobic' layer of undiluted absinthe rise to the top of the glass above the cloudy louche. When all liquid is completely cloudy, stir, taste and adjust by adding more water if still too strong for your personal taste.

I have Pontarlier Reservoir Glasses (the blown ones not the machine moulded ones) and it does a perfect 3.5:1, that's worked for me so far. I do use sugar, but come on, I'm 19, who here is younger than me.

I'm much younger than you...in spirit. Jules says I act like a five year old all the time.

Seriously, go with the cow and the sea cow on this one.

I might add, a really good absinthe will reveal different flavors at different ratios. Play with the Marteau from 3-to1 to 6-to1 and you'll see what I mean. :cheers:

That might have been my mistake with that one. I had some Leopold last night that slightly resembles Marteau in some ways. After I opened up my second glass a lot more than I typically do (greater than 3:1), it was delicious. I need to give Marteau another go.

I've yet to find an absinthe that I like any more than 3:1, but there are a couple that I prefer watered less than that.

I think the Vieux Carre is best at around 2.5:1, and the L'Italienne was wonderful at just under 3:1.

I prefer for there to still be some bite from the alcohol in my glass.

Usually 3:1 for me, but some of the more wormwood-forward or vegetal beverages (Leopold's, Obsello, e.g.) I tend to go more towards 4:1. I like Marteau AdlBE at a 4:1 or 5:1, because it can handle it and it makes for more sips per glass.

I'm usually 3:1 as well, with no sugar. But Gwydion had me try the Marteau at 5:1 with sugar and it was splendid.

So what everyone else says and belaboring the obvious, it's worth it to play around, especially with something as subjective as taste.

:arrr:

The quick answer to the entire question; "yes".

To break it up:

universal "best ratio" of Absinthe to water
Generally start at 1:3.

...you all have your own personal preferences?
See above and tweak to suit taste

Or does it vary depending on the brand of Absinthe?
Yes.

I used to measure 3:1 precisely, thought it was the thing to do. Then I started to be less anal and tried all sorts of combinations, with and without sugar. Now I drip until I feel like stopping, and omit sugar most of the time. Who said there is no such thing as evolution?

OK I've been playing around a little. With this brand (La Muse Verte), the bottle advises to use 6 parts water to 1 part Absinthe. I find this to be a bit much water though... I've been liking about 4 or 5 parts water to one part Absinthe. The wormwood is definately more pronounced with the less water I add. With the reccommended 6:1 ratio all I can taste is the anise with a tiny bit of underlying wormwood.

peace_smiley.gif

I'm usually 3:1 as well, with no sugar. But Gwydion had me try the Marteau at 5:1 with sugar and it was splendid.

Okay, that's intriguing. I think an experiment is in order....

I'm a 3:1 type of guy. For a while there I was going with around 2:1 but I've gone back to the standard. I don't think I've ever tried anything at 5:1...I don't think my Pontarlier glasses will even hold that much liquid...unless I make the dose smaller, I guess.