• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

No but they seem to be excellent at making enemies.

Exactly.

I was thinking, with friends like that...

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

That was friggin' brilliant. Cashmere Agency FAIL. Le Tourment Vert FAIL.
:dev-cheers:
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#33 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

Oh, and Paul Clarke has a post up about the same thing (comment spam about Le Tourment Vert) over at his blog:

The Cocktail Chronicles: Torch? Check. Pitchfork? Check.
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

#34 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

Astroturfing. :laugh:

#35 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

The same LTV idiots visited my site, but couldn't get past the blockade. :pirate:
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#36 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Here ya go! :laf: :laf: :laf:

That's right, three ROFLs.

#37 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

I may just keep the mini bottle closed for a few years to see if anything happens. After all this, I don't even want to taste it for comparison purposes!

#38 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

I'm sort of not surprised by this. On my way to the bourbon tasting the other day, I saw a sign at a local liquor store they were doing a LTV tasting, so I thought I'd go in and give it a try. Aside from the awfulness of the drink, the guys serving it had no clue what they were doing. They had a fountain with them, but when I asked if I could just try it up with some water, one guy popped two ice cubes in and started swirling. I had to ask twice more before I could get them to water it, all the while the other guy was telling me it was "Pretty smooth for something you drink at 100 proof." Bleh.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#39 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

As much of a problem it is to have uneducated drinkers, as well as uneducated sellers of absinthe, I think it is much worse to have people who are just resistant to the traditional method of drinking it. I have a feeling that no matter our efforts to educate there will always be a large segment of people who just want to "get bombed" on "the green sh!t" and damned be the subtlety of the ritual. And let's face it, in the eyes of many bar owners it's just easier to push the Czech method to young, stupid people than it is to have a careful setup and make customers wait 5 minutes for each drink. I just think that absinthe is such a subtle, respectful experience and we have to accept that such a time is mostly gone in the mainstream. We who actually care will have to enjoy it the way we know we should, and let those fools do whatever they want. There will always be the crapsinthe niche, but it's not like high quality, carefully produced and marketed absinthe will vanish!

LTV is just the embodiment of this "tradition be damned" attitude in favor of the "let's get something new and strange out there, call it absinthe, and watch willfully ignorant people suck it down by the case full!"

#40 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

... let those fools do whatever they want. There will always be the crapsinthe niche...

Allow me to introduce myself,
Attached File  don_quixote.gif   53.59KB   0 downloads

#41 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

Don, is that you?
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#42 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Attached File  donkey_pulling_cart.jpg   28.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  otay1mx.jpg   16.21KB   0 downloads
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

Don, is that you?

Don's not here, man.

Try Chateau Jade.

Oops, wrong forum! ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#44 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

... in the eyes of many bar owners it's just easier to push the Czech method to young, stupid people than it is to have a careful setup and make customers wait 5 minutes for each drink.

This is why I think the whole slow drip thing has been way over-emphasized.

In many cafés when you sit down, there are already spoons and sugar on the table, ne c'est pas? What's the first thing the server brings? Water, often leaving a carafe of water. The only thing missing is a couple of glasses with absinthe in them.

Trad absinthe is not that complicated to serve.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#45 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

I agree about the slow drip, to a point. But the fact remains some absinthes ask for it if you want a healthy louche. Whether you want to call that a defect in the absinthe, or an unnecessary demand for a full louche by the drinker, perhaps is up for debate.

#46 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

One solution might be for servers to get acquainted with the carafe method. Myself, I'm still too green--pun intended--to believe I could properly louche my absinthe to my liking with a carafe, at least as of yet. But the mystique of having a server be able to bring some glasses to the table and bring about a good louche from a carafe could be the shift in emphasis needed to lure people back into a more traditional approach to absinthe over flaming mouthwash shots!

#47 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

'zackly. I want to do a video showing how I can serve 7 absinthe cocktails, including four drips, in under five minutes.

Without flair.

Or flare.

I'm not saying people should just dump the water in, it still needs to be added slowly, just not so slowly that it takes longer to drip it than drink it!

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.

#48 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

... Myself, I'm still too green--pun intended--to believe I could properly louche my absinthe to my liking with a carafe, at least as of yet.

Of course you could. Grab a pitcher and go to it. Develop a little flair, clever repartee' and a bit of patience and you can be the center of attention as you casually (yet masterfully) lead that thin stream of water onto the sugar cube. A little style and intelligent conversation will go a long way...say, about 100 years.

We coo...Bell Époque stylin'.

#49 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

'zackly. I want to do a video showing how I can serve 7 absinthe cocktails, including four drips, in under five minutes.

Sounds like a great idea for the first WS video podcast. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#50 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

I think my biggest carafephobia is that I really do prefer a painfully slow-dripped glass. I prefer my louche as thick as possible. Still, I should practice for the sake of presentation I guess!

#51 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Sure. Presentation is fun.
But I believe a good absinthe doesn't need a five minute drip. I call BS on that.

#52 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Gee guys, at this rate, I want to get LTV, a shot of Scope and a shot of NyQuil (in the Green Death flavor) and try them side by side.

#53 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

I vote Scope. Jules will still kiss me.

#54 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Mix 'em together. Then you'll have good breath, clear sinuses, and a wicked hangover.

Everybody wins. :devil:

#55 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

What a spendid idea! You're doing the first shot? :)

#56 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

I vote Nyquil. Talk about secondaries!! :cheerz:

#57 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

diluted Brut cologne
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#58 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

Here ya go! :laf: :laf: :laf:

That's right, three ROFLs.

The list here seems to indicate at least 10 bloggers angry enough to write about this LTV incident.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#59 cocktailchronicles

cocktailchronicles

• Content Team
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

There is power in a union.

Seriously, LTV stepped over a line; I'm more than happy to let a bad brand alone -- there are so many of them out there, it's just not worth my time to start pointing out those who are lame in some way -- but these guys just would not STOP. What they didn't realize is that we do actually talk to each other, and we can easily determine that a slew of "LTV is the KOOLEST!" comments are all coming from the same IP. Blame it on LTV, or on their marketing firm; either way, there was nasty behavior afoot and both were complicit.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for bed -- I have to be up in the morning for a phone chat with their PR firm's VP of marketing. :devil:
The Cocktail Chronicles - a humble little drinking site

"It was a game that you could only beat by being in the know, and Eastern pikers had no business out there. I was too busy experimenting with the green stuff--straight, drips and frappes--to snuggle up to the clique that knew how all the races were going to be run, one, two, three, and that's why they put the final crimp in me within two weeks after I hit San Francisco."
--Clarence Louis Cullen, Tales of the Ex-Tanks

#60 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Tell the marketing people their spammers couldn't even spell the product name properly.

I had a good laugh as I deleted their LTV posts.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association