Gwydion Stone

The Absinthe Backlash Begins

Be careful now ... that may become the next fad.

Nothing accompanies a fine Syrah better than aged Appalachian topsoil.

And that Kauaii red dirt will have you trippin balz!

:devil:

I'm just itching to tll you about them, we have such wonderful fun....

the Hayseed Dixie version's pretty good as well, I might add. Seafood cocktail, crabs, crawdaddies....

I'm just itching to tll you about them, we have such wonderful fun....

the Hayseed Dixie version's pretty good as well, I might add. Seafood cocktail, crabs, crawdaddies....

Gawd, I love the Hayseed Dixie version. It's friggin' brilliant.

Their version of "You Shook Me" is also great.

Have you heard the bluegrass version of "Gin & Juice" that makes the rounds every now and then? "You gotta get yours before I get mine!"

This thread has become just plain nuts! ;)

Yeah I got it. "Gone to the dogs" might be more accurate. :laugh:

We were cool. Then we were trendy. Now we're passe'. Next week we'll be cool again.

Same thing with my Levi's and ponytail. Pfft. I just do what makes me and my Jules happy.

Have you heard the bluegrass version of "Gin & Juice" that makes the rounds every now and then? "You gotta get yours before I get mine!"

That was actually the first version of that song I heard! Austin Lounge Lizards I believe. If it's not you should check them out anyway.

Quite frankly I'm pretty much over the whole notion of absinthe being this Cool or Hip Thing, hence the Interest. I've heard this crap about tattoos for 15 years now, "what will you do when the fad dies down?". I'll tellya what I'll do, I'll continue to do the work I love on people who are actually motivated and know what they want and why, not people who will do whatever's Cool and don't even know what they like. When the hipsters are gone, those with a real interest can drink in peace. And finally bust out the Good Stuff now that the Rubes are outta here..............

Yup. I got into absinthe not caring if it was cool or not, I just love it for its own merits. I'm guessing the majority of us feel the same.

The version of Gin n Juice is The Gourds. I believe it was originally released on the disc Gogitchyershinebox. The Gourds are one of the best bands to ever come out Austin, IMHO.

To be honest I was originally quite attracted to the notion of Booze that Makes You Crazy. It was after a bit of research that I descended into complete obsessive nerdery.

Not to be confused with the "Fetish Frappé" which a whole nother ball of (hot) wax.

Which, of course has to be whipped into the proper consistency.

A spunky bunch tonight. *smile*
Marky Mark and the Spunky Bunch?

Hot wax and whipping does tend to leave some marky marks.

. The Gourds are one of the best bands to ever come out Austin, IMHO.

They played at my bar in Ann Arbor several years ago. Super, super people, and they put on a hell of a show.

To be honest I was originally quite attracted to the notion of Booze that Makes You Crazy.

Same here, actually. I wasn't looking to get crazy; I was just curious to learn more about the drink. Plus the film "Bram Stoker's Dracula" created a link in my brain between absinthe and naked bosoms, so like one of Pavlov's dogs, I eventually got hold of a bottle.

Hot wax and whipping does tend to leave some marky marks.

Tell me I'm not the only one deriving amusement in that this is degenerating within a topic about backlash?

So when exactly was absinthe cool? If there's a chance that I may have been cool for a short time in my life I need to know about it. Someday I may want to reminisce about the glory days.

It was never really cool. It was just a necessary medicine to sooth a rough day, cure sore throat, treatment of celibacy, aided in revealing ones true identity (good or bad) and it was used for the inducement of fellowship among it's consumers. A panacea of sorts. A cure all. A cloudy and tasty medicine.

So, take your medicine and drunk dial a friend. Cheers!

About the glory days, you're living them! *wink with a fork in the eye smiley*

aided in revealing ones true identity (good or bad) and it was used for the inducement of fellowship among it's consumers.

Its kind of an Oldschool thing but its one I believe in, and that is to take out potential apprentices and see what it takes to get them absolutely hammered and how they act when they get there. I used to think it was gratuituosly brutal but the older I get I see the wisdom in it. If a guy can't handle himself in whatever capacity or more importantly if he turns into a different, not-so-nice-to-be-around person (or doesn't turn into one but reveals himself to be) you might not want to entrust him with the responsibility, or even spend the time with him. Or maybe I've become gratuitously brutal in my old age.

The irony there is that the only guy I ever apprenticed was a bartender and could have drunk me under the table pretty quickly. I guess me never having to pay for Guinness or Patron at Jay's was a factor in his selection....

I tend to drink alone alot but when I'm with WS members there doesn't seem to be any trouble.

A more civilized bunch you'd be hard pressed to find. I think it's more a matter of like minded people.

Cheers! ya'll

Not especially, come on over.

I don't reckon I know what it means to drink alone. Well, it's quieter and there's nobody to help me back in my chair. *smirk*

Man is it ever irritating to wade through comments from people that don't have a clue yet act as if they're the worlds leading authority on the subject matter. It's obvious from some of the comments that some of them haven't had real absinthe, likely a Czechsinth, and now rule out absinthe altogether as a vile tasting concoction. Either that or they had real absinthe but took it straight because they lack the patience to prepare it properly, or feel that louching it would make them a "tourist".

I know what you mean. I spend about two hours a day working on my "absinthe evangelism" on Myspace (with Mr. Moss, most days) trying to reason with people, most of whom are a lost cause. That's the argument I hear all the time; "I TRIED the stuff, man! It tastes like Nyquil!". I spend time explaining it, but few listen to reasoning long enough to see the light. But the occasional person that really listens and heeds the advice we give them makes it all worth it.

Bill, last time I stopped by unannounced you mistook me for a lost homeless man and broke a bottle over my head. :3872-DrunkBanana:

I recycle bottles. A lost homeless guy eh? Lost from what/where besides society?

Give me another chance, I'm nowhere near a good host but there may be booze in the closet. Let's go and see. *devil grin*