Scott R. Cohen

Fountain

My order to LdF for a bottle of Edouard and a bottle of VS is off...and I'm already looking toward my next absinthe-related purchase. I think it's time I take the plunge and get a fountain.

I've read the posts on building your own. Now whereas I'm good with my hands when it comes to PCs and women, building things is a completely foreign thing to me. I tried wood-shop in high school and at the end of the semester brought my teacher a dozen pieces of wood to grade instead of a magazine rack. So, let's just say that it would be best if I didn't use drill bits that can cut through glass...

I also worry about posted reports about people who bought their fountain and then basically had to retrofit it so that it works (ie. no leaks, etc). I'm a little worried about that also, even with such small things as installing rubber gaskets and using grease on parts. You'd probably read about me dying of poison or the like, so that I'd like to avoid also...but I'd rather slight alterations to one than building one.

So I've been searching and found this. It's a little smaller than I'd like but it has four taps and it just looks SO DAMN COOL!

libertine%20fontaine.jpg

It's a Libertine Fountain on the Alandia site. Has anyone bought this one by any chance?

Also, if you have other fountain recommendations I'd be glad to hear them!

If you want to buy a super cool Absinthe fountain, that's great and I'll be jealous, but just one last reminder that you can buy pre-tapped jars and cool candle sticks at places like pier one or even target and you don't have to mess with drill bits, seals, and gaskets.

The Libertine fountain is very beautiful and will make a wonderful centerpiece to any absintheur's collection. But, it is rather small and the spigots are made of plastic. They don't leak, but the fake chrome will wear off rather easy.

Here are my fountains.

I made the one on the right. Total cost under $10.00 and that includes the soda the bottle contained.

The one on the left was given to me for my birthday.

Both are well used.

I would suggest that you go to www.absinthespoon.com and check out the vintage repro fountains.

I whined about the fountains on FV, but finally got off my duff and fixed the leaks from the fountain spigots... since then, absolutely no problems. Without company, I can have four glasses at once!

post-14-1126318208.jpg

My order to LdF for a bottle of Edouard and a bottle of VS is off...and I'm already looking toward my next absinthe-related purchase.  I think it's time I take the plunge and get a fountain.

I've read the posts on building your own.  Now whereas I'm good with my hands when it comes to PCs and women, building things is a completely foreign thing to me.  I tried wood-shop in high school and at the end of the semester brought my teacher a dozen pieces of wood to grade instead of a magazine rack.  So, let's just say that it would be best if I didn't use drill bits that can cut through glass...

I also worry about posted reports about people who bought their fountain and then basically had to retrofit it so that it works (ie. no leaks, etc).  I'm a little worried about that also, even with such small things as installing rubber gaskets and using grease on parts.  You'd probably read about me dying of poison or the like, so that I'd like to avoid also...but I'd rather slight alterations to one than building one.

So I've been searching and found this.  It's a little smaller than I'd like but it has four taps and it just looks SO DAMN COOL!

libertine%20fontaine.jpg

It's a Libertine Fountain on the Alandia site.  Has anyone bought this one by any chance?

Also, if you have other fountain recommendations I'd be glad to hear them!

Just so you know, make sure that that's not a spigot bigot™. You don't want to walk into one of those things.

No way.

Those fountains, made entirely out of glass have a tendency to "sweat" a lot. The repros from Frenchman are really nice and as was said earlier, the newer ones shouldn't have those old problems. Also, the new design he has now is even more accurately reproduced and veeery nice.

http://www.absinthefrenchmanspoon.com/absi.../font/font2.htm

Alright, I Emailed Phil with a couple of my concerns about the new fountain. He responded promptly and quieted those worries so I went ahead and pre-ordered one of his fountains which will be available in October.

The Libertine may be in my future sometime also, but I like the vintage look and the size of Phil's fountains too much to pass up.

Thanks again for sending your recommendations my way, all! :)

They have all shapes and sizes of these "infusion" or "ice tea" jars at Sur la Table.

The spigots are brass.

This would be the time of year to look for good prices, as it is mostly a summer item, so they're getting rid of them now. I found G&C's glass block fountain at Sur la Table in Kirkland.

Its a good size for 1 or 2 people just having a couple of drinks. Too modern-looking to set the mood for a play-acting experience.

It does work well for mixing drinks.

:cheers:

I really like the block fountain. It works really well and doesn't leak.

It does sweat, (OMG NO!)

so I put a folded paper towel under it.

But I must warn you, the spigot is plastic.

I'm still looking forward to fabricating one of Hiram's specials. Fred Myers I can do on any given day, but the brass spigots are a Seattle item, so far. We do have a Swagelok/Whitey outlet here, tho, but even brass is expensive for their metering valves. Perhaps an internet source?

You can get the most versatile, rugged and useful fountain you'll ever need for around ten bones. Trick is finding a Wal-place that carries it.

Well, of course the "sweating" won't harm anyone... Though for a really nice set-up I do prefer not having to put paper towels around the fountain base in order to stop that. Which I have never had to do with the repros...

Just thought I'd mention it...

Another thing is that if you happen to knock those glass fountains over, they break far easier than the others. The glass is not as thick, and if you break ever so little of it, the entire thing is ruined.

The repros can atleast be fixed by getting "spare" parts...

The option of buying one of those bottles or jars at Wal-Mart is functional and cheap, though not as neat looking. For everyday use when you're only one or two people, they might be ok...