20 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

Chasing the Green Fairy < -- 5MB MP3 file.

I started out thinking "Here we go again..." but this Portland area woman did a pretty decent job. No fire, only a little thujone-induced balz-trippin', the usual THC error, but mostly pretty accurate info. I invited her around.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#2 Scott R. Cohen

Scott R. Cohen

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Maybe I missed it, but does she ever say which absinthe she tried in Spain?

She drank the François Guy on the show there. From the sound of her monologue as she was drinking it, she would definitely find these forums useful.

I wonder if she'll take you up on the invitation...
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,751 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

Not bad at all...

No mention of the mythical Pierre Ordinaire, and I loved remark about the "green trailers. or tracers".

She'd be an interesting guest!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:40 PM

Maybe I missed it, but does she ever say which absinthe she tried in Spain?

Nope. But apparently Fée Verte gave it 4.5 fairies. ;)

I wonder if she'll take you up on the invitation...

Yep.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#5 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

Quite good. Some slight cringing elements such as "black licorice."
One thing I would disagree with Hiram on is the usual THC error. In it she says it was originally thought it was similar to THC but it's now thought to have different effects. Although not very clear it's far from the standard druggy site THC garbage you can find elsewhere.

One of the first absinthe media I've been able to see/hear thanks to my amazingly fast <56k modem.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#6 laboheme_orchid

laboheme_orchid

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

Posted Image

Mari Myans 70 and I wouldn't have given what I remember as 4.5 fairies due to the remembrance of high school MadDog 20/20 mistakes. Call it the gateway bottle; it was all I could find.

"Black Licorice" my bad......sorry :blink:

Yet I am proud to report that I'm passed the "I gotta try some of that" and into "Oh that one has a bad finish if enjoyed at ambient temperatures above 75F".

Thanks for the invite and I'll be sure to post the sequel to Chasing the Green Fairy

#7 Scott R. Cohen

Scott R. Cohen

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:11 AM

Groovy. Welcome aboard.

I have an RSS feed from your blog now and look forward to checking the rest of it out.
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:12 AM

Welcome. :cheers:

We'll be having a gathering in October, you may want to watch for it. There's no better opportunity to try a large variety of absinthes, as you can see here.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Welcome.
Mari is really not bad for an off the shelf absinthe. You could have easily done worse. You are definately in for a treat though.

No prob with the "black licorice" I describe it similar when people don't know what anise means. The flavour is a bit different from black licorice and some people who hate it, like absinthe. There are also some that use licorice root as an ingredient.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#10 laboheme_orchid

laboheme_orchid

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:42 AM

Welcome.
Mari is really not bad for an off the shelf absinthe.  You could have easily done worse.  You are definately in for a treat though.

No prob with the "black licorice" I describe it similar when people don't know what anise means.  The flavour is a bit different from black licorice and some people who hate it, like absinthe.  There are also some that use licorice root as an ingredient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You nailed it perfectly, it's hard to describe the taste of anise. I really don't like black licorice yet I really took to the taste of anise. The Francis Guy I have is really nice but then again I've only had the Mari and the Francis. Oh then there was that odd concoction they made for me in Cordoba that was a fish bowl of "I have no clue".

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I'm really happy to have connected with you all.

#11 laboheme_orchid

laboheme_orchid

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

Welcome.  :cheers:

We'll be having a gathering in October, you may want to watch for it.  There's no better opportunity to try a large variety of absinthes, as you can see here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking forward to it!!

#12 jacal

jacal

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Let me add my welcome, too. :cheers:

Looks like you're definitely looking for an outlet for your experiences.

#13 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

I've got an innie, not an outtie.

Welcome gal. Hopefully we can meet around New Year's! ;)
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#14 Conju

Conju

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

Welcome?
It works! It works! I don't exist!

#15 Tang!

Tang!

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

You know what I'd REALLY like to hear - or even SEE? A WS podcast produced every month. Some news, reviews, education for those new. By all means, don't get me wrong about the WS Site itself, but I'm finding more and more that sharing Absinthe is actually kind of personal, and a audio or even a video-cast could REALLY spread a great deal of GOOD info to places that the WS may not reach.

Clearly there are seriously educated and opinionated people here who are not afraid to voice their thoughts ::grin:: - so there is no lack of material. And What I would REALLY like to see? Video reviews! SHOW us the set-up, the color before during and after... Hell, show us the initial facial expression if you want.

I did a quick search on PODCAST, and this was the closest thing I could find... Have there been any thoughts in this direction? Again, it wouldn't have to be a weekly thing - or even a monthly thing. It could even be just a set run of maybe 10 episodes to fire and forget and leave out on the internet.... Even if audio only, many of us could get together virtually through Skype or some such.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

Wow! Talk about going back in time. This was more than a bump.....

It'd be nice to have someone speak at TED.com
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

We tried to start one up but it was just too much work with not enough people to submit content.

I'd still love to do it.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 Tang!

Tang!

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

We tried to start one up but it was just too much work with not enough people to submit content.

I'd still love to do it.

BRIAN! We could outline 10 episodes in 10 minutes. It's not like there would have to be any time requirement. These could be as short or as long as the subject.

"Spoons - what your Momma never told you", or shorter yet - "Sugar Cubes - SEE the difference!". or even shorter, "Damn that cork was SOFT!"

Or something longer - like an introduction series that could cover the info in the WS PDF flyer in a little more depth.

In previous work, did you get to a partial outlined Episode list? I would think that if you asked for episode ideas, you could get a hundred to choose from in short order....

Even if the whole RSS feed thing could not be figured out, videos could be uploaded to YouTube until things COULD get figured....

I did a Google search for "Absinthe Podcast" and came up disappointed with the results. This could be such a supreme fit and the only real Absinthe voice in the format.

And Bill had a BRILLIANT idea as well! Put in ABSINTHE in TED's search window and you get ZERO results...

#19 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Holy caps, Batman...

:heart: that site to pieces!
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#20 laboheme_orchid

laboheme_orchid

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

That podcast had been one of my top visited for years. I think your market is there. No need to get anyone to submit anything, just use what you know. They don't have to be 30 minutes either, go with really good for 10 or 15 on a specific topic. Two hosts? Go for 30. I'd be glad to offer advice and tips on how to do it.

LaBoheme (AKA Kris)

Holy caps, Batman...

:heart: that site to pieces!

#21 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

I could take some quicktime movies in Pontarlier this month at Absinthiades...happy to contribute.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association