Sign in to follow this  
cuz

Duplais Balance vs Duplais (verte)

How do you all compare Duplais Balance to regular Duplais Verte?

I have tried Duplais Verte and Duplais Blanche, and always wondered if I would have preferred the Balance over the Verte. Or is the Verte just called Duplais? Anyway, I was intrigued by the fact that I actually like the Blanche better. Maybe if I tasted Duplais again, I would like it better. But my initial feelings of Duplais were that it has an almost chlorine gas type flavor that I couldn't enjoy. I was surprised because the reviews I read for Duplais were excellent. I guess this is another example of how peoples tastes vary greatly. So now I wonder if I should give it another try, or maybe try the Balance. I know I enjoyed the Blanche much more the 2nd time around.

Another odd experience I had was with the Verte and Blanche de Fougerolles.

I really enjoy the VDF alot, much more than I expected after reading the reviews. But I don't like the Blanche at all. To me, it has a flavor similar to tequila.

Do you all prefer Duplais Balance over regular Duplais (verte)? Or do you think I should give regular Duplais another shot before trying Balance?

Thank you very much for your input. :cheers:

Do check the reviews; they offer a wealth of information.

Having said that, I will also say that I too prefer the Balance, maybe because I tried it before the verte. The Balance has a very floral (almost perfumey) , herbaceous, honeyed character that is much more subdued in the verte (which also strikes me as being a little more bitter than the Balance). Having had the Balance, the verte just struck me as a "lite" version of the same. Not to say it's not worth trying--just my own take. Try them side by side and see what you think!

I agree with AIO's assessment of the Balance, and I, too, prefer it to the regular verte. It seems the livelier of the two, despite being even a bit heavier on the coriander, and (unlike Bud Lite) it actually does have more drinability. :)

Good choice. I love both but I also prefer the Balance. It is more perfumey and I definitely agree with Abs coriander comment, but overall I would say that it's "softer"...if that makes any sense.

It's been so long since I've had the overseas versions. I do know that at a tasting the other night we all agreed that the U.S. version was good stuff. It was one of the few things we all agreed on.

I liked it enough that after sampling all the new stuff, I poured me a full sized glass of it.

Duplais Verte: Fennel bomb.

Duplais Balance: Coriander.

I had a very long night with Duplais Verte during which too much of it was drunk. Ever since, the first sip takes me back to the morning after, but the second sip takes me back to the time before that night and I like it again. The Balance clearly is a lighter experience, but the Coriander is putting me off a little. I prefer the Verte. I think currently only the Duplais Verte is on the market in the US, and the product isn't different from the Swiss version apart from the design.

What does it mean that I had a dream last night that featured a beer-sized (12-oz bottle/355mL) that had the Duplais Balance label on it, and I was trying to hoodwink the proprietor of the establishment to sell it to me for the price of a regular bottle of beer?

I've never even had the Duplais Balance, but the bottle in the dream was unmistakably Balance...

I might just have to order something from Europe, eh? Could be a sign.