cuz

Jade Nouvelle-Orléans

Not so fast Absomphe....

Just tried the NO - idiosyncratic, yes. Going to have to try this one over a couple of days I think.

BUT...the bottle I obtained looked like they had shoved a 750mL cork into a 500mL bottle. Probably jammed down fine on the bottle line because it had been stamped with the wax seal. But the cork had migrated halfway out of the bottle by the time in was in my hands - with about a 1cm headspace between the bottom of the cork and the absinthe (which there probably should be). Which leads me to think someone stuffed up with the closures.

Anyone else see examples of this?

I just got many, many bottles of Jade absinthes a week or two ago (the NO being one of them) . I can't say I had that problem with any of my bottles.

Not so fast Absomphe....

Just tried the NO - idiosyncratic, yes. Going to have to try this one over a couple of days I think.

BUT...the bottle I obtained looked like they had shoved a 750mL cork into a 500mL bottle. Probably jammed down fine on the bottle line because it had been stamped with the wax seal. But the cork had migrated halfway out of the bottle by the time in was in my hands - with about a 1cm headspace between the bottom of the cork and the absinthe (which there probably should be). Which leads me to think someone stuffed up with the closures.

Anyone else see examples of this?

Last summer, I received some Jade bottles with corks that had partially erupted through the wax seal. I chalked it up to high temperatures during transport, but that doesn't seem like a plausible explanation in your case. Hmm.

EDIT: I see that you are in Australia. How warm is it?

Since Jonathan's in Australia, he's talking about a 500mL bottle, which isn't even shipped to the USA. So his tale about a 750mL cork mistakenly being shoved into the smaller bottle sounds pretty right on. That might explain the halfway popping out, during travel the bottle would've been subject to lower pressure in an aircraft hold and the larger cork would've popped out a bit as it expanded...

EDIT: I see that you are in Australia. How warm is it?

I'm in Adelaide so it's popped back down under 40C (~100F) as of Sunday, but we had a week long run of temperatures around that (and higher...up to 46 at one stage).

My Victorian counterparts are the ones suffering at the moment with the firestorms - they are moving over 120kph so people aren't even getting enough warning to evacuate. Over 130 dead. Bad juju.

I just got many, many bottles of Jade absinthes a week or two ago (the NO being one of them) . I can't say I had that problem with any of my bottles.

I wish I had many, many bottles of Jade absinthe.

Me too. I'm going to be ordering the Four of a Kind (once NO is back in stock) plus the Blanche & Verte de Fougerolles combo. It kinda makes my wallet cry. I know you all have done it, but it's my first order. (International ordering absinthe virgin??)

(If anyone has any recommendations from absintheonline, message me. I don't want to clutter the forum so much.)

Since Jonathan's in Australia, he's talking about a 500mL bottle, which isn't even shipped to the USA. So his tale about a 750mL cork mistakenly being shoved into the smaller bottle sounds pretty right on. That might explain the halfway popping out, during travel the bottle would've been subject to lower pressure in an aircraft hold and the larger cork would've popped out a bit as it expanded...

Please, no science on the forum. It hurts my brain. :poke:

You can get the 500ml bottle in the US. Also, my old 500ml bottle of Eddy has the same neck diameter as my 750ml bottles. I'd imagine the same bottles are used with the NO. ;)

I sit corrected! :cheers:

I've only seen the 750mL's on LDF, so I didn't realize that 500mL's were available. A quick check of Markus Lion's site reveals otherwise. I am humbled.

I have to weigh in as well...

1. Eddy

2. NO

3. PF 1901

4. VS

I watched exactly one episode of Friends, and one episode of Seinfeld.

I'm still ashamed of myself.

Sad to say I watched a good bit of both in the past before realizing the gray material leaking from my ears was something important.

I caught a handful of episodes here and there, but couldn't watch either regularly.

But then again, I grew up on F Troop & Gilligan's Island .... I have no idea what any of this means.

My rank of the Jades would be:

1. Verte Suisse (hands down my favorite absinthe)

2. Blanchette

3. 1901

4. Eddy

5. N.O. (I thought before I had any of them it'd be my fav)

To me they're all very very good. Sometimes I can't pick at all between eddy and 1901. I thought I wouldn't like the Blanchette but ended up liking it a great deal.

Hey, they're all cool dogs (something I do understand).

No criticism intended ... my point is that there's no rhyme or reason for liking "crappy" TV, myself included.

:cheers:

My dog. Your dog.. Five slow-motion cameras. One room containing a miniature replica of Tokyo. Let the world decide....

Only if they're dressed in rubber costumes, standing on their hind legs and louching a glass of NO.

See! Back on topic. :cheers:

Enough of that on topic stuff.

Did someone mention dogs and cat poo? What the heck is it about cat poo? Why is it, that you can teach a dog right from wrong, but when it comes to cat poo, the benefits apparently outweigh the punishment?

Only if they're dressed in rubber costumes, standing on their hind legs and louching a glass of NO.

I thought that was a given. :cheers:

I ain't even touchin' the Almond Roca. :puke: Snausages, however.... :rolleyes:

... What the heck is it about cat poo? Why is it, that you can teach a dog right from wrong, but when it comes to cat poo, the benefits apparently outweigh the punishment?

Scary, isn't it? And especially coming from a mindset which believes "THE ENTIRE WORLD IS EDIBLE", it must be crazy, powerful stuff!!!

Kind of like rolling up all of the Jades into one SUPER JADE. (<- feeble attempt to nudge back on topic, after having hijacked it in the first place).

:arrr:

rolling up all of the Jades into one SUPER JADE

They all have their unique qualities that change with the moon phase or wife's temperment. Would it be nice to capture the best of each.............the thing is, no two people can agree on that one teensy weensy little unique charachter and isolate it then combine them into one SUPER JADE.

Actually I prefer them split up. The N-O is nice, today.

Cheers! Ya'll

I thought Lucid was the Super Jade!

but seriously...

the Super Jade could be 4 sample sized helpings taken in a particular order decided by the drinker(thus allowing him to craft his own 'best' way) within a certain time limit. That way all the aftertastes meld consistently.

On the other hand one could reprise the childhood Suicide recipe, pouring them all over crushed ice, and maybe a dash of Serpis to "respect tradition"...

Ted just needs to donate a dozen or so bottles to us all each so we can just get to know the product better and then come up with the SUPER JADE. I'm in, how bout the rest of you.

The new bottle of the eddy I got almost doesn't smell to me. But the Verte S smells like heaven to me. I can't remember the others so well it's been to long. But I for sure remember liking the NO the least. But again they are all very close. Good stuff , we just never have enough to try them every which way properly.

I just had the U.S. version of N-O. Any questions I had about this version differing from the European one have been erased. It's just as delicious as I remember it being. I know there were some questions about Ted needing to tweak something in order for it to abide by the U.S. porkchop requirements. Well if he did, this nose and palate can't pick it up.

I'm just realizing how virtually impossible it is to over water this stuff. I prefer my drinks stronger than most, but I made it a point to see how far I could push this stuff before it fell apart, because before I had always just drunk it close to 3:1. I just had a glass at about 4.5:1 and it's delicious. For every note that becomes muted as you water it, another becomes more pronounced. It's like it just evolves. The dilemma I face now is that I don't know which ratio I like it best at. I couldn't push it any further because I poured a healthy dose and my glass couldn't hold any more. Next time I'll pour a smaller dose and try 5:1+.

It's hard for me to rationalize dropping $111 on this stuff, but at the same time it's going to be hard for me not to because I just want to "drink the shit out of it". Lance knows what I'm talking about.

Sometimes, when I'm evaluatin', I like to see what different dilutions look like at the same sitting. I do it with a glass with which I am very familiar with the ounce measures up to 5. I'll start with a 1 oz. dose and louche up to 3/1, resulting in a 4 ounce drink. Then I'll drink that down to either the 3 ounce or the 2 ounce mark. To take it to 4/1 from the 3 ounce point, add .75 oz. water, from the 2 ounce point, add .5 oz. water. Drink it back down again, and add .6 oz. water at the 3 ounce point, or .4 oz. water at the 2 ounce point to go to 5/1. You just have to do the math. Of course, you can do all that "in between" stuff, but if you carry it on to successive levels, the math gets confusing, at least for me!

It's a great way to try various dilutions without commiting to a whole glass of a dilution you may not prefer.