Sign in to follow this  
Misanthrope

The return of Belle Amie

Ok, back on topic, sorry.

I sampled both Belle Amie absinthes side by side, same ratio and the same time.

'07 batch:

Turning dead leaf but still pretty.

Aroma was rich and mellow.

Louche was thin and opalescent.

Taste was pleasant and full. I got a hint of sulfur, just enough to make you say hmmmmm.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth, creamy and lingering.

'08 batch:

Olive green and gorgeous

Aroma was crisp

Louche was much thicker greenish yellow. Quite nice

Taste was pleasant but not nearly as mellow. Seemed a bit citrusy but just a tiny bit.

Mouthfeel was good but not nearly as creamy and shorter lived.

Using the same ratios about 3:1.

'07 looked like it had twice the water. very thin compared to '08.

Right now I'd give the nod to '07.

The stuff has either gotten better with age or .............

The '07 was about 1/4 full and hadn't been touched in ages. it was bottle 479/600

The '08 was about a week old and had only a couple drinks from it a week ago. Bottle 615/640

You can tell they're related but the personalities are different. Not bad sipping.

My impressions may be a bit skewed due to Precious cooking dinner.

I hope this helps. I know I feel better. *wink*

Cheers!

My experience was that the 07 was much more spicy when compared to the 08. IMO the 08 can't compete, except for the louche, which was better. Hopefully it will get better with time. The spicyness was not something I really liked originally, but I miss it in the 08, which is also thankfully less grassy/vegetal (something which I hated from the 07).

Also, I think that the mouth feel for the 08 is thicker, but is shorter lived.

The version 1.0 belle Amie is one absinthe that definitely does not improve with age.

The version 1.0 belle Amie is one absinthe that definitely does not improve with age.

Good, now I don't feel as bad about annihilating my bottles so quickly.

Nice rundown OMG. The only thing I remember differently is that I thought this batch (#2) had a creamier mouth feel. Of course I'm not having them side by side though. All I can do is smell a bottle that's now been empty for over a year, and it still smells wonderful, better than my almost full bottle of batch 2. As soon as I sniffed it I remembered how much different it was than this batch. I could almost taste it again. Funny how those olfactory senses can spark nostalgia like that.

To me, this batch is an entirely different product. In the reviews section is batch #2 going to be listed as a separate product, or the same? If the latter is true, it could create a lot of confusion. I know that my reviews of the two would be night and day.

I don't think it should be listed as a different product but a side note of which batch is being reviewed.

Leopold Absinthe is about the same. I'd rather see a note as to which batch rather than 14 different listings for Leopold.

It seems like the review thing could be more streamlined that way. JMO

Cheers!

The way I've been doing it is to go back in and edit my original review by rescoring but keeping the old text. Then adding the new text above it, with notes as to which batch was which. I've done it with both the St. Antoine and also the Leopold as well as others.

Much better mouth feel.

Much better louche (and much less fragile).

And the taste? Meh.

Good anise. Pleasant Wormwood. Nice spiciness. There is some cloying thing back there that reminds me of licorice. Yes, yes, I know it doesn't have licorice. It's really well made and a fine quality absinthe. I just don't care for it that much. It's nothing more than a personal preference in the herbal profile and there's something there that doesn't work for me. Jules can't stand chili with cumin but other people love it. Same thing. :no2:

Point well taken.

Just like I can't abide the veronica in Devoille vertes, and while I enjoy the Jades, the marc base really ain't my cup o' meat.

Different strokes... :cheers:

I just received my Bell Amie, took about 15 minutes carefully removing the wax, then slowly twisted the top off, and the cheapass plastic broke! Booooooo........

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

That's why I keep a whole jar of t-caps. The plastic on my bottle didn't break though. But you're right, it looks cheap. That's why I replaced it with a t-cap from an empty bottle of Roquette :)

My wax removal procedure goes like this.

1. Put bottle in a plastic grocery bag, and adjust top of bag to completely enclose said bottle.

2. Gently whack the wax with the handle end of an ordinary table knife.

3. Carefully lift bottle out of the bag and wipe down with a gently moistened paper towel to remove any static cling-ons.

4. Sometimes a little minor final cleanup is required.

Now let's all get back to drinking!

Just tried this method on a new bottle of Belle Amie, and it worked wonderfully (only took two strikes).

Have just opened it-the cork struck me, too. Wanted to post a review, but the site doesn't allow duplicates. Can you do something about that, Brian :wave2: ?

As mentioned previously, what I recommend you do is go in and update your score with the new review, and add your new review notes, but keep the old ones as well. Just make sure to delineate the fact that you're doing an updated review.

See my review of Leopold or St. Antoine for examples.

Interesting to find this thread. After 3 days of getting by with no pain meds, and after seeing T.A.Breaux on TV, I could not resist temptation. Went through my bottles, on my way to the darker recesses where I figured my PF 1901 was I settled for the my partially consumed bottle of Belle Amie. It's nice to get back again, first glass of absinthe since my operation.

Finally got around to cracking open (and I do mean cracking--man, that wax is something else!) my bottle of Belle Amie 2.0 from LdF; I'm enjoying my first glass right now, in fact. It's good, though (inevitably) it doesn't quite meet my expectations, which were fairly heightened given the lore surrounding the first edition.

The color, neat, is beautiful: a true, deep peridot. Louched (and it louches very attractively), it's a lovely, creamy green. Nice mouthfeel and finish (more on that in a sec). The thing that surprised me the most was its delicate nose. The aroma of this absinthe--neat and louched--is very mild. So mild, in fact, that I had difficulty imagining what it might taste like before I took my first sip. Not an upleasant aroma by any means, just very subtle--definitely not big or room-filling.

That first sip, though, is very nice. Herbaceous wormwood, anise, hyssop, and a hint of something familiar in the finish that puzzled me for awhile. Not the soapiness that some have decried or the licorice that Joe noted--a smokiness that I finally described to myself as something akin to incense. I was struck by a bit of Proustian synesthesia here too--this mystery note reminds me strongly of a smell I used to associate with my grandmother's living room. She had a wood-burning fireplace in the den and, as a result of its frequent use, the leather-upholstered furniture in the room acquired an unforgettable (to me) smoky, leathery aroma--I can smell it now, over ten years after she passed away and the house was sold. That's the note I taste in every sip of this absinthe. So the experience of drinking it has an unexpected nostalgic edge for me; I actually have tears in my eyes right now. Funny how taste and memory are so intertwined.

Anyway, my experience with the second edition of Belle Amie is so different from what I've read about people's experience with the first edition that I'm curious to see how the two compare. I realize it's at a premium now, but if anyone has a small sample of the first edition that they'd like to trade, PM me.

The thing that surprised me the most was its delicate nose. The aroma of this absinthe--neat and louched--is very mild. So mild, in fact, that I had difficulty imagining what it might taste like before I took my first sip. Not an upleasant aroma by any means, just very subtle--definitely not big or room-filling.

This seems to be the prevalent complaint (and definitely the major regression) from Version 1.0 to 2.0.

The first batch's nose was its biggest draw. It wasn't room-filling, but its vintage perfume (blindfolded, one would swear it was at least a 1950s, and probably closer to pre-ban absinthe) was absolutely captivating, and unique. I suspect the deep amber feille mort was directly tied in to this scent, and the "correction" involved in the coloration step that achieved the striking peridot shade of the second edition probably took that fragrance along with it. What a pity...if only the thicker louche and creamier mouthfeel of the second run could have been coupled with the exquisite nose (and flavor) of the second, it could have been a genuine masterpiece.

You could be right, but I'm not sure that blending the two will necessarily result in the best of both worlds.

Alchemy can be funny like that.

I figure I'll have time to think about it. I live in Okla-by-gawd-homa and Michelob Ultra is the newest "beer" on the shelves. We have to wait for the good stuff. *devil grin*