Sign in to follow this  
Misanthrope

The return of Belle Amie

LdF is pretty much a two man operation from my understanding. It does take a few days for them to respond back at times (I think with the new Belle Amie this would be one of those times). Rest assured that hey will take care of it in a timely manor. I think my refund took a total o three or four days.

Well, LdF is now listing Belle Amie 2.0 as "temporarily out of stock."

Amazing. Like others here, the bottles that I received yesterday range from 614 to the low 620's. Did they sell out that quickly?

Oh, come ON. :angry2: This all could've been avoided if they hadn't sent me a false e-mail saying my order had already been shipped (clearly it wasn't), then waited FOUR DAYS before telling me an item I ordered was out of stock (also incorrectly labeled). So they ask if if I'd like a replacement or refund, and I spend a day scouring through the pages, only to have them tell me it would have to be the same price or they can't do anything; for the record, there is no other 25 GBP item. Another day wasted. Defeated, I ask them to refund my payment in full, yet no mention of "wo-o-o-ah there lad! The items in your basket are 99% sold out dontcha know? Cancel now and you'll lose them for SURE!" Nope, but promptly let me know they just cancelled the order and refunded the payment. Yet after looking at my checking account history, the original PAYMENT didn't even clear until today...two days after I was told the refund had been issued. How difficult would it have been to say "I can do that for you, but the original payment has yet to clear, so it will definitely be a few days"?

I don't usually get this upset, but all those little things really added-up and screwed me over. Never mind that I placed my order early, I missed out due to their missteps.

:shock: Sorry to hear of the mishap,AB!....LDF has always had great service or quick fixes in the past!

My two were 517/521 :twitchsmile:

I'm having a glass right now, and apart from a horrible wax removal experience, I am very happy with this (maybe I have a new #1 CO).

OK, this is a chance to rant a bit on the wax issue.

<begin rant>

I normally like wax on a bottle (heck, I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, how could I not appreciate the red wax?). But the wax on this Belle Amie bottle was HORRIBLE! It doesn't have a string or tape around the topper to make removal as simple as pulling a tab; it flakes and splits into a million tiny pieces; it's sticky when you do finally manage to get a knife into the groove, and worst of all, it's static-clingy wax, such that you have to manually wipe the leftover bits of wax off of the surface of the bottle and neck every time you remove the cork to pour out a dose.

This Belle Amie hasn't been the only bottle of absinthe that I've had this poor experience with, either: Trillium, Roquette, Obsello all had the same issue. Why can't producers duplicate the very pleasant experience of the Maker's Mark red wax, which comes off neatly and still leaves the trademark wax drips on the neck of the bottle?

</end rant>

Exactly Ken, or use regular corks instead of T-caps when using wax seals, so you can simply pull the cork out through the wax. Next time I'll use a torch blower to melt the wax first... Let's see how that goes :)

Edited by Mr. Absinthia

I don't usually get this upset, but all those little things really added-up and screwed me over. Never mind that I placed my order early, I missed out due to their missteps.

I couldn't agree more, Ben.

I think, in this particular case, LDF should procure a bottle from Luc, and send it to you.

OK, this is a chance to rant a bit on the wax issue.

<begin rant>

I normally like wax on a bottle (heck, I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, how could I not appreciate the red wax?). But the wax on this Belle Amie bottle was HORRIBLE!

</end rant>

It is definitely handy to have a shop vac nearby when opening this new Belle Amie. The wax is such a deterrent that my remaining bottles will be aging for quite some time.

My wax removal procedure goes like this.

1. Put bottle in a plastic grocery bag, and adjust top of bag to completely enclose said bottle.

2. Gently whack the wax with the handle end of an ordinary table knife.

3. Carefully lift bottle out of the bag and wipe down with a gently moistened paper towel to remove any static cling-ons.

4. Sometimes a little minor final cleanup is required.

Now let's all get back to drinking!

As for #4 on your list. Clean up takes your mind off the breathing of the drink which we've all agreed is a good thing. So, smile while you tidy up knowing that your drink will be that much more satisfying.

The wax on the Jades was sometime chipped off when they arrived and that was a concern to some.

I just see the wax as a pleasing way to relax while the water in the fountain cools. It's good to be busy.

There may be the slightest bit of sarcasm in this post. There is some truth though.

Cheers!

*smile*

As far as wax removal goes, I, uh, just sort of crudely pull it off and hope everything works out. :laugh: Some you gotta scrape off, while others (like Obsello) just peel off effortlessly.

I couldn't agree more, Ben.

I think, in this particular case, LDF should procure a bottle from Luc, and send it to you.

As nice as that would be, that would probably be going a bit out of their way. I couldn't expect them to do me a special favour like that.

EDIT: looks like they have it back in stock, so as long as the refund comes through soon it's all good.

I like this stuff a lot, but I prefer batch 1. This probably makes my top 5, maybe slides in there right behind the L'Italienne at #4. The aroma in this batch just doesn't touch that of the original.

The louche from this batch builds more slowly, from the bottom up. I was actually surprised by how long it took for it to start forming. But I didn't think it got that much thicker in the end than batch 1, a bit thicker, certainly. Then again, I didn't have a problem getting a half decent louche from the first batch either.

Very nice little number, but a regression from batch 1, IMO. This is why I think when you create something wonderful you don't mess around with it trying to improve things. Nothing will ever be perfect. This batch is creamier with a better louche, but for those gains there were losses in the process.

The aroma in this batch just doesn't touch that of the original.

I'm not surprised.

This batch doesn't have that feuille mort, either, and the two were almost certainly inextricably intertwined.

Why can't producers duplicate the very pleasant experience of the Maker's Mark red wax, which comes off neatly and still leaves the trademark wax drips on the neck of the bottle?

</end rant>

FWIW, Maker's Mark 'wax' comes off easily because it isn't straight-up wax. It contains some plastic components. You have to have a special tear tab made to make that gunk work....notice how elastic that Maker's Mark gunk is.

We looked at using wax, and came to the same conclusion that you have. Pain in the @ss, for both the distiller and the customer.

Perfect is not to be. Progress is the best we can hope for. There has been terrific progress in some areas.

JMHO

Ditto.

I just feel that more was lost in the process than was gained. I don't want to sound like I'm coming down too hard on the stuff, as it is probably (after further review) my 5'th favorite commercial absinthe. I just loved the first batch so much that I would have just as soon had another one of them, unchanged.

FWIW, Maker's Mark 'wax' comes off easily because it isn't straight-up wax. It contains some plastic components. You have to have a special tear tab made to make that gunk work....notice how elastic that Maker's Mark gunk is.

We looked at using wax, and came to the same conclusion that you have. Pain in the @ss, for both the distiller and the customer.

That's kinda what I suspected with the Maker's Mark, because it definitely seems too perfect to be just wax. It does make for a pleasant appearance, though. And I enjoyed dipping a few souvenir bottles at the Star Hill Farm when I was last in Loretto, KY. They definitely provide a great customer relations experience.

Glad to hear that I'll be able just to tear right into he Pacifique as soon as I get it in the door!

Actually, scratch that. I just called the Woodinville store and they said it should be there next Thursday (3/26).

If only we could buy it directly from Marc :(

Edited by -MD-

The Voyager gin, too. I went to my neighborhood store on Wednesday, looking for the gin, and was told that there weren't going to be any deliveries this week. Apparently they were/are installing two new loading bay doors at the warehouse where everything ships from, and as a result shipping ground to a halt. But things should be back to normal next week. I certainly hope so!

I just called the Woodinville store and they said it should be there next Thursday...

Funny, I did the same thing this morning.

The gentleman sounded very enthusiastic, and said that the samples he tasted were delicious.

However, he also recommended that I call again on Thursday onacuz he wouldn't want anyone to make a trip all the way down from Bellingham, and then be disappointed if the delivery hadn't come in.