Sign in to follow this  
cuz

What Do You Prefer....Carafe or Fountain?

The fountain produces the best louche, no arguments here. However, for me personally I do use a dripper a good deal as well because I'm so dead tired many evenings I'm simply looking for the least preparation. Though, as smiley so keenly pointed out, there's not nearly the distance that you have with a fountain so the louche, while slow building, is nowhere near as grande as it could be.

Yeah, when I don't feel like taking much time....I use a large sauce squirt bottle like used for catsup and mustard. Works good, but not much time for appreciating the louche action.

A sauce squirt bottle...wow. I never even considered that before I had my dripper/fountain! Way to improvise! :cheers:

The fountain was a crafted gift from a good friend.

And a charming little fountain it is!:)

I had a variety of interesting self-made carafes when I was louching in sandier nations. Drippers, slow-pour carafes, infusers… all produced from a regular water bottle and pocket knife. Some gaffer tape, occasionally. They weren’t pretty but they got the job done.

Funny story- one day I louched a PF1901 and it had the most horrid twang to it- I thought that in the heat it had turned! But as it turned out, I had grabbed the wrong water bottle from my fridge and louched it with raspberry flavored sports water.

Still drank it, though. What a noob move…

Not a n00b move necessarily. I watched one of our most prized members louche-up a glass with club soda. Sometimes drinking gets in the way of drinking.

That story has been brought up twice this year and yet I never tire of it. *laugh*

I swear, it was the Marteau! That stuff will make you crazy. *devil grin*

I've got a two-spigot #2 fountain from the Frenchman that has a small crack at the top of the bowl (remedied with some aquarium glue) that I use regularly. I've also got a four-spigot #2 fountain that I use for more special occasions. I keep the smaller fountain accessible and more or less "ready to go", while the bigger fountain is higher up, further away from Cat Land.

I've been using a carafe lately for some reason, but this thread has inspired me to stop because I just don't like it. It adds a small element of "stress" to the ritual, which really shouldn't be a part of it.

Fountain for sure. I've just about worn out my repro fountain, it's rusting!

If I could only train my fountain to turn off after the louche is done. Saturday night I forgot one and really diluted HG ended up all over my table.

I love my see-saw. If I could only have one louching device, that would be it.

Not a n00b move necessarily. I watched one of our most prized members louche-up a glass with club soda.

I used to do that, during the aforementioned Slushie days. Nice if you like the Insta-Louche™; fun to watch in a real Alky-Seltzer sorta way.

I would like to get a fountain eventually, that seems to me to be the pinnacle of the art :).

The ice trays I have make smaller ice cubes, by happenstance. I measure out the amount of water then put a bunch of cubes w/spring water into a measuring cup that looks like a lab beaker (yes i am a little geeky) that is graduated up to 400ml (so it is a 16 oz beaker). It is plastic, and it is kind of beat up, I wish I could find more like this.

There is this one, that is kind of a novelty, that looks like it would work really well:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/a346/

A lab beaker is actually perfect for louching, it has that spout-like indentation that allows you to pour a precise stream at a regulated speed, and you can measure a precise dilution, and it is not as unbalanced as a carafe.

I like it! Nice find. It's stuff like that you can leave on the counter and the kids just look at you like you're from another planet.

Mine do that to me anyway. Neat-o!

Cheers!

A lab beaker is actually perfect for louching, it has that spout-like indentation that allows you to pour a precise stream at a regulated speed, and you can measure a precise dilution, and it is not as unbalanced as a carafe.

Busted. the 50 ml is my favorite.

We prefer our fountain for several reasons 1) tradition, 2) louching is awesome, 3) the sugar is better disolved & 4) the perfume of our Absinthe.

Arching eyebrows and chuckling, we understand the to tired to prepare the fountain at the end of a long day. The ritual of the preparation is a wonderful way to unwind after a day of dealing with the I & A's of the world and it makes me slow down and enjoy the louching and the arome of my Absinthe blooming.

As for a single spigot fountain in a pinch. Most housewares department will usually have in stock either a lemonade or tea / sun tea jar with either a spigot or a dial / turn style faucet used to serve the beverage from the jar makes a wonderful fountain in a pinch and they are usually 1/2 to a 1 gallon size and you can keep it filled and chilled in the frig. for those really hairy carey days....

I have even seen mouthwash jars that have the spigot and on / off valve at certain stores as well...

My husband gave me a totally awesone present , a 2 spigot Lady fountain he purchased from Maison De Absinthe on rue Royal in New Orleans, Luscious Oily Lesbians! he placed in my stocking several boxes of Italian Absinthe mints as well.

Just my opinion

Edited by CajunDaddys_girl