Joe Legate

Vilya Spirits (formerly known as Ridge Distillery)

Early Fall is the prime time to wildcraft angelica so Jules and I took a couple of days off to check on some of our favorite angelica haunts this weekend. The harvest is looking fantastic!

Across the lake is some of the most beautiful angelica! Flyrods are not required but they help ease the tension of a hard day's work.

Angelica1.jpg

Maggie the Cat is a fine Distillery Wench. ;)

Angelica2.jpg

Cool color. Looks alot like the Lapis Lazuli necklace I have.

Lapis lazuli is regarded by many people around the world as the stone of friendship and truth.

The blue stone is said to encourage harmony in relationships and help its wearer to be authentic and give his or her opinion openly

[/font]

The non-wildcrafted herbs that are purchased from elsewhere are now organic, from what I understand.

I better taste it to double check.

Well, hopefully I am not cluelessly newbie-posting too much, but I am excited to say that Ridge (Verte) will officially be the 2nd absinthe I try (order went in yesterday). You forumfolk and your descriptions of fresh herbs and complex flavor profiles...I was *never* the type to order fancy alcohol over the internet before this!

Ridge Verte and Blanche are in my top 5. Maybe I'm biased and maybe I just like the stuff.

I'll go with like. Pacifique and Marteau are in the same top 5.

Enjoy! :cheers:

Wormwood seems to be pretty resilient to pests.

Not mine. Weird greenish-white mite/aphid things. I try to squish them when I can, but they reproduce pretty quickly. I don't know why any animal would want to drink wormwood juice straight from the stems, but those spineless dicks do.

If you were a spineless and thirsty dick, wouldn't you? :tongue:

Ambear is quite correct: Ridge products sporting a blue foil capsule would be from our best herb sourcing, yet. The herbs are either grown on the Ridge, purchased from an organic provider or wildcrafted from primitive areas of the Rockies. As a matter of fact, we spent this weekend looking for new sources of Wild Angelica Montana when we ran into this beast stuffing himself (or herself) with service berries.

AngelicaBear.jpg

The bear was so big, I would have bet money it was a Griz until I took a closer look at the picture. That black bear stood nearly six feet tall!

Of course that was posted in the nicest possible way. ;)

We don't discriminate when it comes to bears. White, Brown or Black. They all deserve a respectful distance. :)

Several years ago I saw a bear in that same area that would probably best be described as "cinnamon" but in reality was incredibly dark magenta. They are beautiful creatures...from a safe distance. ;)

So no pesticides or something in Ridge herbs now?
We have always worked very hard to be "chemical free." While we aren't striving to be necessarily organic, the organic herb source was simply too delicious not to use.

That's right, we're slaving away in bear country (usually with a flyrod nearby) to find the best herbs possible for all of Ridge's offerings. B)

Damn, must get a bottle... after my recent Euro binge, I think I want to start exploring another foreign absinthe, the US brands. :tongue:

Since Catskills recently started stocking Marteau, I can grab all the biggies from one place.

Ridge

Marteau

Pacifique

Delaware Phoenix

Those are the US brands I most want to try. Ridge first ;)

:cheers:

That's right, we're slaving away in bear country (usually with a flyrod nearby) to find the best herbs possible for all of Ridge's offerings. B)

Okay, wow, now I *know* I did the right thing ordering the Ridge Verte. Braving bears to make us tasty absinthe? Yes, please!

*refreshes fedex tracking AGAIN*