Joe Legate

Vilya Spirits (formerly known as Ridge Distillery)

Just wanted to stop by and say...

I just tried the Ridge Verte this weekend, and somehow, since cracking the bottle open Friday, by Sunday night it was half gone. I loved it.

I used 4 parts water which seemed to be the sweet spot (for me), and no sugar. The no sugar was a surprise because I have a sweet tooth...this absinthe simply didnt need any. Absolutely delicious.

For what its worth from an absinthe noob, lemme say "Well done!"

Just wanted to stop by and say...

I just tried the Ridge Verte this weekend, and somehow, since cracking the bottle open Friday, by Sunday night it was half gone. I loved it.

Now if I were a drinking man....... :3872-DrunkBanana: :devil:

This is a problem we are well aware of and we are taking steps to...what? I dunno. I have the same damn problem. I open a bottle. Turn around and need to open another bottle. WTF. I guess we need bigger bottles.

For what its worth from an absinthe noob, lemme say "Well done!"
Thank you. This is completely a labor of love for Jules and me. We are sincerely thrilled folks share our passion. :cheers:

Yes! Bigger bottles! Please! My wife and I finally had a few glasses of the blanche this weekend, and we're in love. I mean, we were already in love, but... You know what I mean. I can see I'm going to have to place another order pretty soon.

Cherries, Joe, cherries.

And apples. ;)

Yes! Bigger bottles! Please!

Id say 1L bottles would be great, because the aforementioned bottle of Ridge V. is now gone. Thankfully a liquor store near me stocks it so I don't need to order online.

I tried the blanche too, last night after the verte ran out. Also, incredibly good! But, I'm learning as I go that I may be more of a verte fan. The blanche was less sweet, and a little more dry, to me. Is that typical of a blanche (this was my first)?

since cracking the bottle open Friday, by Sunday night it was half gone. I loved it.

the aforementioned bottle of Ridge V. is now gone.

Damn son! You drink like me. :cheers:
Thankfully a liquor store near me stocks it so I don't need to order online.
You consarn fricka bracka grumble grumble ( in my best Yosemite Sam voice) I'm so jealous. I hate you. :pirate: Just kidding. About the hating you part. Yes I am jealous still.

Damn son! You drink like me. :cheers:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The verte just went down way too easy and I found myself thinking "Damn, is this my 5th, or 6th glass?" while enjoying some fine TV. The bottle went too damn fast..

As far as being jealous, dont be. Most liquor stores around here dont have much of an absinthe selection (V.P, V.C, Pacifique, and Kübler, mostly...I was shocked to find one that stocked Ridge)

This is a problem we are well aware of and we are taking steps to...what? I dunno. I have the same damn problem. I open a bottle. Turn around and need to open another bottle. WTF. I guess we need bigger bottles.

It's a relief to know we aren't the only ones suffering from "shrinkage." :twitchsmile:

I'd blame it on the low humidity, but the RV does seem to evaporate quicker than most ...

As far as being jealous, dont be. Most liquor stores around here dont have much of an absinthe selection (V.P, V.C, Pacifique, and Kübler, mostly...I was shocked to find one that stocked Ridge)

Ahem, here in the great state of Oklabygawdhoma, our liquor stores carry Lucid and Kübler. I've seen St. George in bars but not in the stores. :g:

I'm glad Ridge is in California and has moved into Washington lately. GO TEAM RIDGE!!!

Must find a better reason to move to another state. I'm looking! :laugh: ;)

[...

Wouldn't call VC, VP, Pacifique, and Ridge a bad selection, not one bit. Other states have it far worse than that. Most stores here are lucky to have Lucid.

Oh, agreed. Wasnt saying I have a "bad" selection at all! Just not the selection Id want, ideally. But I am a greedy bastard

The same shop that has Ridge also has one of the Jades, but it's much more cost effective to order it online.

Dont feel bad, all I have around here is Taboo. (and a few czechsinthes, but those dont count)

I have to order anything of quality... which makes it rather hard to be impulsive. If I want a bottle now, it's taboo. Dont get me wrong, Taboo is actually heading in the right direction, and is miles ahead of where it was a couple years ago, I just wish it were easier to get a variety of good absinthe.

The local stores in Long Island carry nothing anymore, at least that I've seen. You MIGHT see a bottle of Pernod. We DID see Lucid, Dr. Ordinaire from time to time, but not anymore.

We're very lucky here in western Ct..... Ridge,Pacifique,VP,Duplais,Mansinthe,St George & some lesser stuff is easy to find on the shelves.I'm ten miles from the NY line and I can get La Clandestine & Jade NO if I call in an order a couple of days ahead of time.A couple of stores just a bit further into NY stock MOL & WW.

Edited by redwun

I tried the blanche too, last night after the verte ran out. Also, incredibly good! But, I'm learning as I go that I may be more of a verte fan. The blanche was less sweet, and a little more dry, to me. Is that typical of a blanche (this was my first)?

No, I'd say the Ridge Blanche is pretty atypical. Other blanches tend to be sweeter, but oftentimes less complex.

Other blanches tend to be sweeter, but oftentimes less complex.

Agreed!

Another very good blanche would be Clandestine Le Bleue. Yummy!

Indeed and agreed on the ClB. As of yet havent had the RlB, but we will see, cause it will be, on my next order from the old CC.

Edited by Songcatcher

Agreed. LCB is excellent.

We wanted to create a complex blanche that rivaled most other more simple blanches. Regarding dryness, I suspect the "dry" blanche is a pre-organic herb bottle. Changing our herb source resulted in a sweeter, more full-bodied absinthe that still retained the complexity. I think it is more balanced, too. The organic herb bottles are easily distinguishable by the satin cobalt blue shrink capsules (which would be true of all three of our products). :cheers:

Ridge blanche, to me, is almost like a cross over absinthe. It's pretty dang good and it seems to fit the gap between a verte and a lower ABV blanche. A nice absinthe that has been well crafted and suited to the taste of the producers. Just my silly opinion.

:cheers:

Regarding dryness, I suspect the "dry" blanche is a pre-organic herb bottle. Changing our herb source resulted in a sweeter, more full-bodied absinthe that still retained the complexity. I think it is more balanced, too. The organic herb bottles are easily distinguishable by the satin cobalt blue shrink capsules (which would be true of all three of our products). :cheers:

More likely it's my, as yet, unsophisticated palate. I believe the wrapper was blue as you mentioned, but it was markedly less sweet (to me) than the verte.

Still goddamn good, just was expecting the blanche to be more sweet than the verte (as I thought was generally the case)

Blanche is now almost gone as well. Damn you, Señor Legate...damn you

Edited by abaxial

I know. I am so very sorry. :devil:

Compared to the verte, the blanche would probably seem less sweet. I tend to think the blanche has a distinctive nuttiness to it that I kinda like.

Whatever C&W sent me, the glass of Clear manna from Montana I had last night after battling monster snakes sure was a great way to calm frayed nerves.

Ok, it was a tiny snake, but moccasins scare the bejesus out of me.

I tend to think the blanche has a distinctive nuttiness to it that I kinda like.

Hit the nail on the head! I couldnt define what the characteristic was, but nuttiness is it!

Off to buy another bottle of each...Im really regretting not being able to attend the recent absinthe festival to meet ya.

Hopefully one day

Pot calling the kettle black? :wave2: :laugh:

Ok, it was a tiny snake, but moccasins scare the bejesus out of me.
No shit, Sherlock! I have no use for those bastids.
...regretting not being able to attend the recent absinthe festival to meet ya.

Hopefully one day

Indeed! GAAF '13 is going to be somewhere near the Seattle area. We will raise a glass together then, if not before. :cheers: