Joe Legate

Vilya Spirits (formerly known as Ridge Distillery)

As some of you know, we have been busting our butts working multiple jobs to get our distillery where we envision it. Thanks in large part to the wonderful support of WS members, you have made our lives delightfully more difficult! Originally, we expected to be the tiniest of specks on the Montana distillery map, nearly imperceptible but thanks to you, our absinthe and gin can be found in select stores from coast to coast. Thank you.

Thanks to our surprising success, our attorney has insisted we find a unique name capable of earning a primary Trademark. Unfortunately, Ridge is so generic, it simply will not work to protect our name or spirits. The new Trademark has been submitted but only the name will change. Our technique and recipes will remain the same and new products will soon be introduced. In the next year, expect to slowly see these changes happen. So, with a little remorse, I'd like to say goodbye to Ridge Distillery and introduce you to our favorite wood nymph…

BWlogo_zpsb538f1dc.jpg

Cool logo and great name! I wish you success in all your future endeavors! Oh and of course I will be wanting a bottle or two of potent potables bearing that logo in the not too distant future! :cheers:

Edited by Cajun Magic

Change like this that stems from success is nothing but good. Congratulations and keep up the great work, Joe.

Could not have said it better myself!

And congrats on the attractive new logo (the crystal ball tells me that there's a cool, new t-shirt in my future)!

Very, very excited for you!

Isn't that one of the rings in LOTR?

Also, 'grats!

It is indeed

Vilya is the ring of air. Nenya and Narya are the other two elven rings of power. Joe, you guys got the Tolkien estate and the Saul Zaentz companies approval? I'm no expert on copyrights and how far they extend. obviously you guys are not trying to cash in on Middle Earth's fame to sell your absinthe. Just hate to see a roadblock for you guys.

Good name btw and congrats.

Edited by greytail

Doubt anyone would complain. You never know though. If the absinthe were trying to use the name to garner attention it would be one thing. Clearly to all here, this is not the case at all.

I only brought it up as recently I thought I would sell a few maps I had made which were based heavily on the maps seen in THE HOBBIT. I took them down because it breached copyright laws, but my case was polor opposite of the name change here. Just looking out for you Joe.

Edited by greytail

Thanks for looking out for us, greytail. Yes, Ambear, that is one literary reference using the spelling Vilya and Scott is on top of the Russia reference. We chose the name because it is true to where we live and made us think of wood nymphs. A strong female spirit if you will. Vilya Spirit: playful, often mischievous. A sprite, fairy or nymph. A muse if you will. General American English pronunciation: Vil-yuh. I feel good about it. Cheers all!

Harry Potter also mentions them. Tolkien's greedy heirs wouldn't stand a chance. You can look it up on Wiki as a traditional tale. I like it, and it fits the distiller. :)

And don't forget the African connection, "According the Luba mythology, Vilya, the first female spirit, was the founder of the Luba. She was also the spirit which guaranteed fertility and continued the lineage." The Luba tribe first appeared around the 5th century AD in the Congo. While the recent literary references exist, we were drawn to some of the more fun, spiritual aspects (read: sex and an excuse to have scantily clad nymph graphics) of Vilya that exemplifies where we live and our feelings about our tiny distillery. Those literary giants can rest easy knowing we will not be offering The Three Rings of Power Enchanted Vodka or Middle Earth Honey Liqueur. :laugh: Vilya has been around as a spirit or nymph for simply centuries and identified in sculpture, song, paintings, poetry, opera, cities and folklore.

Seriously, thanks for the concern because we know how well intended it is. One of the hold-ups in announcing Vilya Spirits was waiting for our Trademark attorney to give it a solid "thumbs up." When our attorneys are happy and excited, so are we. :cheerz:

While grudgingly pouring the last dose from my latest bottlle of Ridge Verte i was somewhat shocked by what came out of the bottom of the bottle.

A very, very dark green elixer that smelled of powerful herbs .After water, it looked very antique and tasted as such. The bottle was not out in the light and believe me, I'm not complaining at all, It was awesome, but I had never seen this before. Just thought I would share. Sorry the pics aren't any better. Took them with my unsmart phone in artificial light. But the colors still came across exactly as I saw them.

post-3717-0-20310200-1363221308_thumb.jpg post-3717-0-12637200-1363221340_thumb.jpg