Timothy B.

DUNY: La Charlotte Absinthe Superieure In Stock

I'd like to be there when you guys meet. I know, it's rude to invite myself but it would be a loooooong and very interesting day. Cheers!

Some of the folks at FV do in fact step up and call the bashing that happens there tedious garbage and I'm one of them. I do the same here because absolutely no good comes of throwing around sophomoric insults and hateful language. I did the same when one of our members went off on a rant here the other day, and now I see that he's become a problem for a lot of people.

If this makes me a prick then I wonder what the point of calling the WS a more civil environment is all about? Maybe the WS is expected to take the high road because that's the stated mission here. Maybe my appreciation for this environment is why I still participate here. I started devoting a larger percentage of my online forum time to some of the broader-based cocktail forums in recent months, not just to learn, but also because you just don't have that kind of problem in those places.

It just makes me sad. This was all a lot more fun a few years ago.

Some of the folks at FV do in fact step up and call the bashing that happens there tedious garbage and I'm one of them.

Yes. I'm happy to see more people calling it out, including you.

If this makes me a prick...
Not at all!

Actually WBT, I've read your posts here and at FV and you stick to your guns in either forum. That's a fine quality we don't see enough.

I like everyone I've met at FV and speak with some of them fairly often.

Sometimes the crap get's a bit ugly here or there and I just move away from the keyboard. As far as this place not being as fun as it was a few years ago, well, that's true in many cases and on different levels.

Now, where were we, oh yeah, what about La Charlotte Superieure?

More insight please.

Cheers!

Really, WBT, I know you're trying to keep the Forums in balance. I sincerely appreciate that.

Throw it on the scales:

Gwydion maligned at FV vs, Oxy maligned at WS.

WS maligned at FV vs. FV maligned at WS.

How do those scales balance out?

Now, put it all in perspective. Ken's joke even if it was malicious (which I do not believe it was) doesn't even make the radar.

My regard for Oxy, Hartsmar and Fee Verte is sincere. I wish them well. I wonder what sort of little world we'd have if FV and its members treated WS as WS treats FV? You might rediscover the fun the Forums once held for you. :cheers:

It just makes me sad. This was all a lot more fun a few years ago.

There was quite a bit of bashing going on then, too, it just wasn't direcTed at the WS, and eventually a lot of it Petered out, once a certain provocateur "retired".

Admittedly, though, even at its most pointed, there seemed to be a somewhat humorous edge to that jibing that these continous attacks definitely lack.

Whoa! Hear that Brian? Alan says we're gonna get paid! Woo Hoo!
Not for a reply that took all of 8 minutes. And once Ridge is operational, your answers may take longer.

You don't understand. Joe doesn't sleep. I swear.

"There will be time enough for that when you're in the grave."

Big Daddy Pollock, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams

Words to live by.

I don't want to be a dick-hole and steer this thread away from any plump, juicy tid-bits. Notice the "d"! Notice the "d"!

However, it tastes pretty close to the VdF, but there's something else in there. My initial gut was a stronger wormwood profile, but then my mouth got a little dry...

What the hell do I know. I'm happy of how close it is to VdF.

There's a label on the back that amuses me, "You can enjoy this absinthe superieure straight from the bottle or with water and sugar." And then directions. Those silly kids over in Fougerolles, I know how I like my absinthe.

Some of the folks at FV do in fact step up and call the bashing that happens there tedious garbage and I'm one of them...[snip]...no good comes of throwing around sophomoric insults and hateful language.

Acknowledged, and agreed.

The problem over at FV, as I see it, is that there are enough posters there who do engage in the bashing that there's just no way for other FV regulars or visiting WS defenders to keep up with them. Thus, the admins at FV have a simple choice: ban the offenders or tolerate the bashing. As is well known, Oxy and company prefer the laissez-faire approach to forum moderation, and as a result, even if they don't endorse it, they do permit quite a bit of unseemly behavior.

I have to agree with Joe Legate (I'm still having trouble not saying T73) that when it comes to sophomoric insults and hateful language, there's really no comparison between WS and FV. In fact, this is one of the very few times I recall FV or any other forum being discussed at all.

Wow!

first of all, it has been a while since the Buyer's Guide was updated, yes. For very good reasons that is. Reviews are still submitted in the forum though. For the very same reason my own site hasn't been updated in a while, but be sure there is a bunch of reviews ready and done, waiting to be published.

Regarding whether or not any personal things affect the reviews in the Guide, that is bullshit.

I personally screen the reviews that are submitted, before they enter the Guide and if there is anything too far away from the ultimate goal of a review and stray towards personal attacks of some kind, this is discussed with the reviewer in question and corrected. However, there is NEVER any censoring of the review itself (scores or comments). As long as it is factual and about the product it stays.

And to make things SUPER CLEAR none of the people reviewing stuff over at FV ever get paid to do so. Unless you count the "benefit" of getting samples of King of spirits Gold or such shit for reviewing.

There. as you were.

...oh and, thanks for enjoying the wonderfully exquisite Absinthe.se website. :D

And to make things SUPER CLEAR none of the people reviewing stuff over at FV ever get paid to do so.

I don't know where this came from, but no one here gets paid to review anything either.

I for one will never know Hartsmar for the review system. It takes a lot of time to update. Time is a commodity these days.

I truly don't see the need to discuss the differences between review systems or just between the different forums.

Anyone who doesn't already know about the differences can do a simple search and read up. Both places are great repositories for information and are fun to hang out it. It's all about the frame of mind you're in when you visit.

'Nuff said.

I don't know where this came from, but no one here gets paid to review anything either.

Alan Moss said it would be cool if those taking care of the reviews and forum admins would eventually get paid. I said, "Hey Brian! Alan says were gonna get paid!"

See, it was Alan's fault. :devil:

That both forums have their place and are of value is a given. No question. That Oxy, Hartsmar and Gwydion have paid their dues and deserve respect is also a given. No question. The discrepancy lies in FV members (granted a vocal minority) taking repeated potshots at WS with no apparent repercussion while the slightest joke from WS about FV is immediately pounced upon and the evil perpetrator being nearly threatened with never being taken seriously at the hallowed halls of FVness.

It's not about value. It's all about fairness. Nothing more.

So, when comes the next big reviews' update? (8 reviews of mine are still waiting... :wave2: )

I know. It's not like I don't read the forum... he he.

I will update them all and I have a load of reviews from myself to add as well...

I don't want to be a dick-hole and steer this thread away from any plump, juicy tid-bits. Notice the "d"! Notice the "d"!

I always notice the "Ds" before the "AAAs"-"Cs", BAUB!

The plumper and juicier, the better. :devil:

I'm trying to decide whether to order La Charlotte from DUNY or spring for the Vieux Pontarlier...is the VP worth the extra $12? I wish I could afford to try both, but my wife's in grad school and my job might be on the block soon, so... :no:

After a few years of unpaid service to the absinthe cause, I think he deserves the opportunity to build his own business.
Now that's just crazy talk.

I actually don't see anybody making derogatory comments about the AdlBE version.

That's because a couple of the loud minority have tasted it.

I'm trying to decide whether to order La Charlotte from DUNY or spring for the Vieux Pontarlier...is the VP worth the extra $12? I wish I could afford to try both, but my wife's in grad school and my job might be on the block soon, so... :no:

VP is a much better buy, if you look up reviews you will see that VP is well regarded and the Charlotte normally scores very poorly.

I decided to go with the VP...should ship today! I can't seem to find a negative review on it anywhere. Plus the bottle is really cool looking. I know it has nothing to do with the quality of the contents, but for better or worse when I'm ambivalent about what to buy I tend to judge drinks by their packaging. That's why I haven't bought a bottle of Lucid yet. 1)I hear it's kind of underwhelming, and 2)I think the bottle is silly looking.

I'm off next week, so I'll have plenty of time to sample the VP without having to get up early the next day... :cheerz:

Edited by robb3566