Sign in to follow this  
Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

New Orleans

(Remember, this is a "cork board")

In the US, when you think about Absinthe (pre-ban) New Orleans is clearly one of the places you (should) think of.

Many of you (may) know that I'm one of the founders of "The Museum Of The American Cocktail", which currently is located in New Orleans, and I'm sure I don't need to say anything about what has recently happened down there.

We (the other folks involved with the museum) feel a certain connection to the Food & Beverage workers of New Orleans, and have decided to hold a benefit that will hopefully raise some funds for the F&B workers (and families) of N.O.

Saturday, September 12th, from 5pm to 7pm, many restaurants and bars across the nation will be having a special "Save New Orleans Cocktail Hour". Serving $10 New Orleans inspired cocktails, with the proceeds going to a fund we are setting up to directly support the F&B workers of New Orleans.

You can find more details (and a list of participating restaurants and bars) here:

http://www.MuseumOfTheAmericanCocktail.org/Cocktail200

If -your- favorite bar isn't listed there, you might want to ask them if they'd be interested in participating. If they are, the can just e-mail "KatrinaFund@MuseumOfTheAmericanCocktail.org" and we'll help set them up.

-Robert

Got any specific plans yet? I was thinking Zig Zag, but then I thought I'd also like to check out The Great Nabob.

I got my Lodge to cut checks for two grand for relief efforts tonight. $1000 to go directly to refugee aid and $1000 to go to the Grand Lodge of Louisiana—all of the old Masonic Temples in the downtown area were completely destroyed.

My company just announced a $5000 donation for Hurricane relief to the Salvation Army, they will also match employee contributions up to $10,000,

also, a Boston bar has joined the cocktail hour list so I'll be raising a few to you from this side of the country.

...match employee contributions...

Hey, that's right! My company matches too, does that mean they'll buy my second drink! :cheers:

...also, a Boston bar has joined the cocktail hour list...

Yep. "No. 9 Park", I dropped by there when I was in Boston a month back. "Ryan" is their head bartender, and very dedicated. They are doing a good job. Tell him I said Hi!

-Robert

After peeking at the site listed above, I spied the "Obituary Cocktail" and am curious about the merits of this cocoction.

I only have a bottles of "Tanqueray No. 10" and "Bafferts" on the gin front. I figure the latter may be better, if only because it is "lighter" and may let the absinthe shine through.

Any particular pairing of gin and absinthe that works best? Preferences?

After peeking at the site listed above, I spied the "Obituary Cocktail" and am curious about the merits of this cocoction...

This drink is not "top on my list" of amazing culinary concoctions. But it is a relatively famous N.O. drink that I try to have at least once on my trips down there, and -only- at Lafites Blacksmith Shop.

For gins, I would recommend "normal" Tanqueray. Or if you are wanting the Absinthe to shine through a little more, Boodles.

Like any cocktail, the goal is to arrive at a balanced blending of flavors, which can often change the precise recipe depending on the products being used.

I'd recommend playing around a little bit with the recipe and try to determine the one that you think ends up with the best overall balance of flavors. I'd be curious to hear what you might end up with.

-Robert

Yep. "No. 9 Park", I dropped by there when I was in Boston a month back. "Ryan" is their head bartender, and very dedicated. They are doing a good job. Tell him I said Hi!

-Robert

So, I was at No. 9 Park last night, they started their NOLA cocktail benefit and are running it until Oct. 1st, calling it 1000 cocktails for Katrina, with a goal of raising $10,000.

We talked to the principal bartender "John" who was working the floor on his off-night due to staff shortages. He remembers DrinkBoy from your visit last month and talked about joining the Museum and meeting with Dale DeGroff. A very knowledgable gent and very friendly. He even made sure my sazerac was extra special.

Turns out he lives a couple miles from me so we plan to get together to trade info on cocktails and absinthe.

FYI: just to bring this thread full circle, the results of the Museum's fundraising event brought in nearly $60,000, most of which went to the New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund, with some also going to the Emeril Lagasse Employee Relief Fund.

-Robert