AiO

Vieux Carre

Larsy is ALWAYS thirsty. Always.

Must be an old link. Try this.

Edit: Nevermind. The site design for the homepage is up, but obviously they just haven't built the other pages yet.

I am getting there, I swear! Baby stepping my way to a full website!

I shipped to the NY distributor for DUNY this past week, so now it just needs to get through the pipeline.

Just picked up a bottle at HiTime Wine (they had a sale) where they also have serine, obsello, VP and some others. Timothy and I liked it although I thought it seemed a wee bit thin. I'll just have to see about messing with the dilution ratio.

Just got my bottle. Awesome presentation. I love the shape of the bottle and especially the design covering it. Looks really great. My only note is that it's nearly impossible to read the text on the back without holding the bottle up to a light. Otherwise, can't wait to crack it open!!!

Just picked up a bottle at HiTime Wine (they had a sale) where they also have serine, obsello, VP and some others. Timothy and I liked it although I thought it seemed a wee bit thin. I'll just have to see about messing with the dilution ratio.

Yeah, it definitely falls apart when overwatered. I like it quite a bit now that I've dialed in my current ratio of 3.25:1. It's a great product at a great price!

For me, the slightly thin dilution that Misanthrope and I tried it at would make it perfect as a all afternoon sipper. But then I tend to prefer my absinthe more dilute.

-- T

(who just put himself in mind of the ancient custom of watering one's wine - must look that up)

Well done stuff. Not as good as Pacifique and Walton Waters but relatively aspiring to. And the colour is so professional that I cannot believe my eyes, that a really new and fresh absinthe paid so much attention during colouring classes despite the misleading propaganda that has been envenoming USA and Europe for so many years. Americans should be proud of that flawless colour and a nice tipple in fact.

But what about the peeerrllaaaa maaaannnn!
Yeah, and what about the concha?

ncdyrr.jpg

Ha! More than one.

DSC01169.jpg

exceptionally dark brew, eh? I couldn't capture the color of this VC right with my digi, but I will say that it does surprise me as being darker than expected.. Heres another pic, on a white background, with less volume in the beaker:

DSC01175.jpg

Any photographers out there who can afford a tip or two? I'm working with a Sony DSC-H20.

Other than the color, I am IMPRESSED. The VC is an unbelievably smooth, well-balanced drink. It eclipses the Kübler I had last night, in almost every aspect. I can't write an experienced review yet, but if it gets much better than this, I'm in for a real treat.

Edited by Gruene Fee

VC has replaced Obsello as my primary go-to, stand-by, drink-more-of-and-leave-the-special-bottles-for-another-time absinthe!!!

I love it!

You are in for a treat. I like Kübler but MHO is it's a good daily tipple and wonderful for beginning absinthe sippers. :cheers:

I seemed to have no problems finishing off 3 glasses of K last night, but after that first sip of the VC, the K gets one weird look from moi. :dry:

VC is good, but... I see that bottle of Pacifique in the photo on the gear thread.

It's true, I am that guy.

HaHa. That one's on reserve for a tasting with kaseijin, and the rest for Christmas / NYE.

Edited by Gruene Fee

100% agreed. Nothing else in the $50 price range even comes close.

I don't know how Philadelphia Distilling is able to offer it at that price point, given the quality of the herbs that Rob uses, but I'm grateful they do.

I'm also grateful for the fact that I can drive down the street to the nearest Wine & Spirits store to restock when I'm running low. Probably the only time I've been thankful for the PLCB!

VC has replaced Obsello as my primary go-to, stand-by, drink-more-of-and-leave-the-special-bottles-for-another-time absinthe!!!

I like VC. But man did I have a good time with Obello at my sister's place for Thanksgiving. I think I've mentioned this before, but the bottle at her house I ordered back in February or March. It was fantastic when I opened it in July, and when I came back to it in November it was still fantastic. And that's more than I can say for the later bottle of Obsello I ordered and had at my house. It was odd when I first opened it, and downright skunky after a month or two of sitting. Really unpleasant. I'm hoping time (in this case, probably a year) will work some magic on it. Tragic difference between the two bottles.

Having said all that, I still think Obsello tops VC for me.

My only quam about about Obsello is its minty quality. It gets be be a bit too much for me. Maybe I just need to try another bottle since my first one mysteriously drained itself...

I like VC. But man did I have a good time with Obello at my sister's place for Thanksgiving. I think I've mentioned this before, but the bottle at her house I ordered back in February or March. It was fantastic when I opened it in July, and when I came back to it in November it was still fantastic. And that's more than I can say for the later bottle of Obsello I ordered and had at my house. It was odd when I first opened it, and downright skunky after a month or two of sitting. Really unpleasant. I'm hoping time (in this case, probably a year) will work some magic on it. Tragic difference between the two bottles.

Having said all that, I still think Obello tops VC for me.

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I posted on here. Ron I am concerned about your bottle that did not keep well? Did one bottle had more open space for oxygen to get into the good stuff?

If you store an opened bottle without a vacuum cap it does oxidize. Now with enough time it should go good again once the whole thing is oxidized. Though it will be a very different drink. Sort of a tawny absinthe. I reckon it will take about 5 years. Try keeping it somewhere very cold with the cap off for a few years.

I keep trying to tell people once you open a bottle you really only have about 2 months to drink it. I could use simple preservatives? But I am a bit opposed to the concept.

Cheers,

Bryan

I keep trying to tell people once you open a bottle you really only have about 2 months to drink it.

Really? My bar would be very disappointed to hear that. ;) I believe most bottles of absinthe improve. Jules has a bottle of CLB grape-base that just gets better and better. It's over two years old.

I keep trying to tell people once you open a bottle you really only have about 2 months to drink it.

Really? My bar would be very disappointed to hear that. ;) I believe most bottles of absinthe improve. Jules has a bottle of CLB grape-base that just gets better and better. It's over two years old.

I would tend to agree with Joe, I have several bottles over 50 years old that continue to age beautifully.

Also as with Brian, my 05 Jades that have been opened improved with age. Which lends me to conclude that the unopened Jades and others will only improve.

Ron I am concerned about your bottle that did not keep well? Did one bottle had more open space for oxygen to get into the good stuff?

Brian, I'm really not sure what to say. When I opened the bottle at my sister's place in July, we only had maybe three fantastic glasses out of it before putting the cork back in. Then when I got back into it in November, it was more brilliant than when it was first opened.

The second bottle, stored in the same conditions except location, tasted a bit off right from the go, then seemed much worse when I went back to it a month later. I wouldn't normally think to keep my drinking absinthe for a long time, but I have a few bottles, and I bounce around a bit. So I don't get back to the same brand for a while.

As it stands, I'll be out of the country for a long while, and I'm curious to see what that second bottle will taste like. The first one only has a little bit left after the hurting I put on it over the three days I spent at my sister's place.

I know the second bottle was an anomaly, so I'm not concerned with the brand at all. I'll gladly get more when the time comes. It was just a curious bottle. Maybe how it was stored before it reached my hands had something to do with it. I dunno.

If you store an opened bottle without a vacuum cap it does oxidize. Now with enough time it should go good again once the whole thing is oxidized. Though it will be a very different drink. Sort of a tawny absinthe. I reckon it will take about 5 years. Try keeping it somewhere very cold with the cap off for a few years.

Cap off for years?! That would be an interesting experiment, but I think I'd rather just drink it :cheers:

I keep trying to tell people once you open a bottle you really only have about 2 months to drink it. I could use simple preservatives? But I am a bit opposed to the concept.

Even with the relatively lower abv of Obsello, I'm still pretty sure that it should easily keep much longer than 2 months. I agree preservatives or stabilisers may cross a line.