AiO

Vieux Carre

I got to try the VC at the Apothecary for the last two nights. I really liked the VC, and the Apothecary was awesome! That's definitely the best bar I've ever been in (it sure helped that they served absinthe). The head bartender, Ryan, was a real pleasure to chat with too. If anyone is in Philly, visiting the Apothecary is a must in my book.

The Apothecary, huh? I'm definitely going to hit that up soon! Thanks man. Ever go to 'the monk's cafe,' also in Philly? (awesome belgian beer bar/cuisine)

Congrats, Rob! I'm looking forward to hearing what other folks think of this fine absinthe.

Oh, and I heartily second Phoenix's endorsement of the Apothecary. It's a great bar--nice atmosphere, knowledgeable bartenders, and unique drinks (I recommend the French Buck, made with Kübler, Creme de Cassis, and their own homemade ginger beer). And now that they stock VC, you have no excuse not to go next time you're in Philly!

GH? Pardon?

Oops, it looks like I forgot to reply to this.

Gravity Hill is an attraction in PA. I kept seeing pamphlets for it on my road trip, and one day found that I was really close to it. I decided to drive there, and followed the crudely drawn map on the pamphlet. It took me at least an hour to find that damned place.

When I finally got there, all I found was a gravel road. Supposedly this is no average gravel road though, things go uphill. I put my car in neutral, as the pamphlet said, and sure enough, my car went backwards "uphill". The road barely seemed like it was on an incline at all, so it may be the lamest thing I've ever witnessed.

By now I had to pee really bad, so I decided to pee all over Pennsylvania's stupid attraction. I thought, "It'll be great, it'll go uphill!" So there I am, in broad daylight, peeing on this road. Much to my dissapointment, it just rolled off the side into the ditch.

Sorry, but I won't be back in Minnesota until Sunday afternoon/night now. I'm staying in Iowa longer then I planned because my doggy tore her ACL and gets surgery on Thursday. She has to stay with my Mom in Iowa while she recovers. I live on the third floor of my apartment building and there's no elevator, so recuperating at my place isn't really an option. So it's looking like Sunday night at the earliest.

Couldn't resist the urge to pick up a bottle, especially since the little state store down the street showed 5 bottles in stock. Will resist the urge to open it for now as I still have over a dozen opened bottles of absinthe, including 5 I haven't done reviews on, and 7 unopened bottles.

Well, I had my first two glasses of VC last evening (finally got around to trying it!), and I noticed that it really falls apart quickly if you overwater it. I watered my first glass 3:1 and found that it was still a little hot, so for the second glass I went to 4:1, and that produced a very weak mouthfeel, with almost all of the flavor gone as well.

Looking back through this thread, I see that AiO mentioned that he found his VC sweet spot at 3.5:1, so I'll definitely try that next time, but I just wanted to comment that this is the first time I've found a CO with such a quick dropoff with respect to watering ratio.

I'm hoping that at 3.5:1 I'll find the interplay of flavors that you're all touting with VC, because I definitely missed out on them at both 3:1 and 4:1. Here's to hoping! :cheers:

Looking back through this thread, I see that AiO mentioned that he found his VC sweet spot at 3.5:1, so I'll definitely try that next time...

Yup, that was the ticket for me. I know some folks like VC at 3:1, but I personally find it a little overwhelming at that ratio. 4:1 is a little weak... 3.5:1 is just right!

Good thing that bottle is on the way so you can try it out! :cheers:

this is the first time I've found a CO with such a quick dropoff with respect to watering ratio.

Belle Amie 1.0

Comparatively speaking to Belle Amie 1.0, VC is a rough and tumble bruiser.

Just polished off my first bottle of Vieux Carre, which I purchased back in January when it hit the shelves here in PA. (It would have happened more quickly if I hadn't been distracted by new friends--Pacifique, I'm looking at you! ;) )

I was a little concerned about how the last few glasses would taste, since they would have the highest concentration of the natural herbal sediment floating in the bottle. I needn't have worried: they were absolutely delicious.

Time to open bottle #2!

I'm really interested in what other esteemed members of our society who haven't had the chance to try VC will have to say about this fine absinthe when they're finally able to taste it. It looks like DUNY has bumped the release date back to May 1, so it'll be a little longer before I find out. It's worth the wait, folks--I promise! :cheers:

I had a glass of it at the WS Green Hour last month. I think I'd need more to form a review-worthy opinion, but it was definitely good. I remember being impressed by the herb balance & good wormwood; herbaceous yet light. Closest analogy would be maybe a lighter cousin in flavor to Doubs Mystique or perhaps Leopold Bros, sans big buttery base.

Just polished off my first bottle of Vieux Carre, which I purchased back in January when it hit the shelves here in PA. (It would have happened more quickly if I hadn't been distracted by new friends--Pacifique, I'm looking at you! ;) )

I was a little concerned about how the last few glasses would taste, since they would have the highest concentration of the natural herbal sediment floating in the bottle. I needn't have worried: they were absolutely delicious.

Time to open bottle #2!

I'm really interested in what other esteemed members of our society who haven't had the chance to try VC will have to say about this fine absinthe when they're finally able to taste it. It looks like DUNY has bumped the release date back to May 1, so it'll be a little longer before I find out. It's worth the wait, folks--I promise! :cheers:

I have VC as well as WW and MoL coming, so I'm going to be in a real happy mood when I get all of those. Been waiting to try VC for a while!