AiO

Vieux Carre

My bottle has the old black lettering, so does that mean it's a couple of years old? Should I be happy to have a slightly aged bottle, or disappointed that it's not the "new and improved" version? There seems to be a lot of talk about it improving since the first batch.

Don't sweat it. It was good before, it's good now. Rob just made a few tweaks in the distillation process, not wholesale changes.

I'm a Californian living in Pennsylvania, don't remind me of Mexican food!:3869-sadbanana:

I'm a Californian living in Minnesota, so I feel your pain. Although, there are a few decent places in the Minneapolis area.

It has been a while since I purchased a bottle of VC, but a few weeks ago I had a few tastes of it with friends and I still enjoy it.

WOW add it to ice cream I will try that now. Tacos? cucumbers ??/ wet tacos ???? I am drinking some right now and I won't stop until I taste all of those things plus caviar In my VC....or until the bottle is empty....only joking :arrr: :arrr:

Ok, SO.... All I read is the first and the last page of posts on this. Probably a GREAT way to jump to "Y'all are crazy and mentally disjointed". But it's my own fault, and since I don't know any of you I won't say that 'officially'. Just having my first glass now.

I'll have to say--- First sip: strange 'medicine-y' flavor in the background. Not sure I like it much. Glass almost gone-- Lovely interesting flavor. Beautiful balanced bitter/sweet. Still kinda new, so I won't lie.... LOTS going on I can't put my finger on. But it tickles my mind a little. Yum!

As far as letting the bottle breathe-- Should I leave it uncorked for a bit?

Edited by Gumby2.0

No, just drink two or three glasses (try adding more sugar or more water to your drinks to tame it a bit) then let the air in the space you've provided in the bottle help to neutralized that medicine-like taste. Keep the top on.

I had a very similar reaction when I first tried VC. I thought I wouldn't want to buy it again, but after letting it sit around for a couple of months, having an occasional glass, it now tastes much better to me.

That's one of those some people here schooled me to swirl it a smidgen every time you get ready to pour a glass. Keeps all the fairy dust from ending up in the last few drinks.

Keeps all the fairy dust from ending up in the last few drinks.

If I think happy thoughts maybe I'll see La Fee Tinkerbell and start to fly! :3

Never did see sediments on VC. Pacfique on the other hand.... But to me, they are a good thing, a sign of an authentic absinthe, a foreshadowing of the bliss my taste buds will be in.

You could ship it to yourself Greytail. :g:

I'm on my second bottle. And even though the first one took some getting used to, this one is really tasty. And it sure has an opalescent louche if I ever saw one. Well, i haven't seen too many but this sure looks the part.

Edited by Songcatcher

Songcatcher is correct. You could ship it to yourself.

We've done that more than once. I try to ship the day before I fly.

I use the guys in the brown trucks. Some have been amazingly helpful packing our "wine". :)

Everyone (of course) was right!! The bottle aged beautifully, and was a bit irresistable towards the end.

I just picked up a new bottle of VC this weekend..... No sediment to be found in it. At all. Seems to be the same tasty product though!

Made a detour coming home from NC to pick up a bottle of Leopolds at a store we knew carried it.

They had Vieux Carre as well and I am enjoying a glass right now.

Spec-damn-tacular in my opinion.

:cheers:

(Got the Leopold too, the land of milk and honey has been restocked)

Had my first glass of Vieux Carre last night - a bit different from what I've had previously but really quite interesting. Seemed to be a lot going on but I did enjoy it. Sampled my first glass without sugar so will probably add a bit for the next go. Love, love the thick decanter bottle!