AiO

Vieux Carre

Aye! Nice and herbal! And I watched the video, thank you very much for suggesting it!

Strangely though, I am beginning to suspect the flavour that so eluded me to be Spearmint.

Strange only because spearmint is not a favoured flavour of mine; I much more prefer English Mint or Peppermint when working with mint. In this blend, however, it really works. That is, if it is at all the herb I think it is...

Absinthe! Sweet mystery of life!

Whoa! I just transcended, and have reached the 7th level of enlightenment, thanks QMJ you are the walrus coo koo ca choo.

It wasnt the Absinthe that promted that response it was your post that sent me into a state of zen, but... on your advice................:3872-DrunkBanana:

My bottle arrived today. Immediately I was confronted by flavours so familiar but captivatingly unidentifiable. What is that? Is it the Génépi? From where would I know that flavour?

Don't get me wrong here. I love these flavours and am immediately adding this to my pantheon of Absinthes!

For the record, I think it's a quality and unique absinthe. I've been clear about that. Rob (the maker)

is also a gentleman. I loved it when I first opened it too! I'm commenting on how it has changed over a few months after opening. It is still very good, but is very different than it was. It has changed more in character in a few months than any others I've opened; The green flavors have

opened up to a grassy (not in a bad way) smoother ride, and the tea-like elements have become much more obvious. I was saying I prefer it spicier and crisper the way it was when first opened, that's just me.

Others may very well like it more with the changes a little aging brings! I'm still drinking it, and still suggesting it to friends!

Just cracked open my first bottle of this stuff this weekend. Loved it at 1:3 w/o sugar. Really fragrant and the water totally opens up the fresher/mintier herbal qualities.

*Sigh* My heart is bleeding. My (somewhat) local absinthe vendor carries Vieux Carre, but it has been out of stock for 2 months! No word on when it will be back in stock and I'm dying to try it. Oh well, I hope you all enjoy. For now I'll just have to read your thoughts on it and be jealous.

Had a glass of this tonight that was from a bottle that had been open approximately one year, already turned to a nice feuille morte, really creamy and delicious, surprisingly good.

That's good to hear. I have a halfway decent little booze shop that carries Bluecoat Gin. So after buying a bottle I says "How about seeing if you can order another of Phillidelphia Distilling's offerings?" I am going later today to see about that very conversation. They brought in Leopold Bros for me, it sold well so perhaps the Vieux Carre will be on the shelf when I get there. If not, I'm here for the beer. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle sooner rather than later though.

For what it's worth, I revisited this recently, and really liked it more than before! Funny how your feelings on things can move around so much from just a few months. I suspect it developed in the bottle over the six months or so, and now everything really seems in harmony.

Until I can write reviews, this is my take:

A natural green & dead leaf color, a shade darker than Pacifique, with a similar louche.

The VC smells like peppermint and sugarcane. And it tastes like it too. Is this sugarcane smell/taste fennel?

After taste does remind you it's absinthe, but in a nice way, and the sweet pepermint flavor does linger.

Overall a different, but tasty absinthe, and a most welcome addition to my hooch cabinet.

Because of the sweet minty taste described in reviews I thought It might go well after a meal. After confirming the taste, I paired it with homemade strawberry ice-cream. Take a sip, eat a bite, and enjoy.

Edited by Miguel

You should try Pacifique, Ridge, or one of the Delaware Phoenix ones. I like VC, but to me Pacifique and Ridge are a level above in quality. Price and availability are VCs biggest advantage.

You should try Pacifique, Ridge, or one of the Delaware Phoenix ones. I like VC, but to me Pacifique and Ridge are a level above in quality. Price and availability are VCs biggest advantage.

they are all on my list to try... ;)

I have to tell you folks, I just got a new bottle of VC, and to be frank, I need to revisit my review. This is damned tasty absinthe. I always thought it was good, but this is far better than I remember. Perhaps it's been tweaked since I first had it, but I seriously need to up the score on this. Thick louche, rich mouthfeel, a clean aroma that smells right; anise and wormwood without too much perfume, and the flavor is complex without losing the essential elements of absinthe. Good work Rob!

My brother called in a panic from Specs about what absinthe should he buy. He mentioned:

ABSINTHE PERNOD, GREEN MOON VODKA A LABSINTHE, Kübler ABSINTHE, LA FEE ABSINTHE,

LA MUSE ABSINTHE, LUCID ABSINTHE, MATA HARI ABSINTHE, MYTHE ABSINTHE TRADITIONAL,

VERSINTHE ABSINTHE, & VIEUX CARRE

He kept on wanting to buy the crapsinthes (they have spoons, they look cool, etc.). He had previously soured on absinthe thanks to Lucid (only to be brought back by Pacifique and Sauvage), so I told him the only one from that list I would pay the asked for price, was the last one. He called me the next day to tell me how much he really enjoyed it.

I've been drinking VC again regularly for the last month or so, and I have to say, Rob's latest batch is amazingly good; perhaps the best to date. It is rich, juicy, packed with flavor, with a thick wonderful louche.

(Who cares if the louche's color is tad murky). Its aroma is clean and correct as well. As far as creating an absinthe with the right elements, especially priced so low, it is one of the best being made in the US. I've come full-circle on this, as in the beginning, I was only moderately impressed.

After being in a bunch of distilleries and rolling around in both live and dried wormwood, and sprinkling anise and fennel in my hair (I'm being poetic, not literal) I'm seeing more and more when the distiller is honoring the herbs in a simple and respectful way.

Kudos Mr. Cassell!

I think i will revisit my bottle as well. :cheers: I would prefer it to be a little less thin and not remind me so much of spearmint double mint gum but I love it just the same and perhaps the new batches are an improvement over my bottle. (not that it needs the improvement)

Hey M.A. Mc I had a chance to have a glass of VC last night at a friend's house, that was about 18 months old. It had thinner mouthfeel, was not as juicy and complex, and had a thinner louche as well. My new bottle is so much better it's hard to believe. I don't know what they've done, but the new stuff is worlds apart for some reason. Perhaps the aging has something to do with it, but I can't imagine 18 months would affect an absinthe to this degree. I Just thought I'd mention it.

I had a chance to have a glass of VC last night at a friend's house, that was about 18 months old.

I love a new house. ;)

Seriously, I'm not sure how juicy fits as a good descriptor of absinthe. For wine, I think it works great. Taboo, with it's distinctly fruit base could be described as juicy, perhaps. Even wine based absinthes that I love (Marteau, the Jade line, etc...) aren't really juicy in the way one might describe it. I'm finding the word choice a little confusing.

Am I missing something here?