390 replies to this topic

#301 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Am I missing something here?

Same as me........sounds more like an inside joke.

BUT I try not to let anyone think I may know anything.

I'm a pretty smart guy unless I talk or type. <shrug>

<--------- Dumbass!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#302 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

:nono: Now, Bill, we all know you are not a dumbass.
I am the wood nymph.

#303 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,542 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

Seriously, I'm not sure how juicy fits as a good descriptor of absinthe. For wine, I think it works great. Taboo, with it's distinctly fruit base could be described as juicy, perhaps. Even wine based absinthes that I love (Marteau, the Jade line, etc...) aren't really juicy in the way one might describe it. I'm finding the word choice a little confusing.

Am I missing something here?

Juicy, as it's applied to absinthe, doesn't so much refer to a quality of the base, as it does a characteristic of certain wormwood strains that seem to impart almost a "Juicy Fruit" flavor similar to the gum, but more natural tasting, and less sweet.

A couple of notable absinthes I've found with this attribute are Berthe de Joux and Sauvage.

I hope this clown has been of some help again here, my friend. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#304 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Abs, that's actually a great way of describing what I meant. The older versions I had were a bit more subtle, even having tea-like notes. I do understand how "juicy" can be confusing. Frankly, I chose the word casually, to describe a profile more packed with flavors, spice, tingle, and a thicker mouthfeel. Hope that helps.

#305 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

I've seen 'juicy fruit gum' mentioned many times in the past, but 'juicy' by itself isn't a natural progression of juicy fruit. Personally, I don't think 'juicy' fits in well as a descriptor either. In fact, for some reason, I find myself actually irritated by that term. But, to each their own, I guess.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#306 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Like I said...I chose it casually. Next time I'll wear a tux.

#307 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

I would say that perhaps that "flavor" causes extra salivation, but in that case the only thing that's juicy is my mouth, not the absinthe itself.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#308 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Scott, to be honest, and not at all to attack you, but I think that you may have unconsciously started using the term after you saw Abs use it, as he was the only person I've ever seen use that term, and it just recently popped up.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#309 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

I don't recall Abs using the term... but I took up naked pogo-sticking while wearing a red rubber nose because I saw him doing it...anything is possible. Here's what the dictionary says. Apart from the "full of juice" the other descriptors are appropriate for what I intended to say.

adj., -i·er, -i·est.
Full of juice; succulent.
Richly interesting: a juicy mystery novel.
Racy; titillating: a juicy bit of gossip.
Yielding profit; rewarding or gratifying: a juicy raise; a juicy part in a play.

#310 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Oh I see...it's like a novel...

Website | Blog | Twitter

#311 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Mmmm, succulent. Now, there is a worthy word of describing absinthe. :cheers:

#312 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

If you're going to get snippy Ambear, the way dictionaries work, is they give a description, then an example.
In this case, the descriptor is "richly interesting," with the interesting novel being an example.
It could easily have been:

Richly interesting: a mysterious, smart young women with dramatic haircut and a cool, well-spoken boyfriend.

#313 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,670 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Damn, Joe beat me to it. :wave2:

I absolutely adore that word. It describes a great many things.

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#314 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Juicy:

ADJECTIVE.
Thick and curvacious

How the UrbanDictionary works. This was the polite definition.

Anyone can build a dictionary.
Not everyone can build an absinthe like Rob's VC. JMHO
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#315 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, I've seen juicy strewn across too many fat, saggy asses to really take it seriously as a word anymore. I do like succulent, but I also have some weird word associations with that as well.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#316 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Not everyone can build an absinthe like Rob's VC.

True, true... Rob is an artist.

I didn't Ambear was being snippy. I thought she was just taking <ahem> a novel approach. B)

#317 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

I didn't really think so either... just playin', hence my example of "richly interesting."

Ambear, I'm on your side about those "Juicy-assed pants." The other day I saw a little girl with that across her butt who couldn't have been more than 4. Ya gotta love Long Island.

#318 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I would say that perhaps that "flavor" causes extra salivation, but in that case the only thing that's juicy is my mouth, not the absinthe itself.

I've used "juicy" as a descriptor a couple of times (BdJ, Perroquet, Pacifique), usually in the finish section to reinforce the comment about it prompting salivation. I, however, was referring to the general impression of the finish being "juicy".
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#319 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,542 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Scott, to be honest, and not at all to attack you, but I think that you may have unconsciously started using the term after you saw Abs use it, as he was the only person I've ever seen use that term, and it just recently popped up.

Brian, you silly noob, I'm a long way from the first to use that term. :laugh:

The only reason you're laboring under that misapprehension is onacuz you never joined that evil Louched Lounge. :laugh:

Juicy Fruit, or just plain juicy were used to describe the wormwood found several HGs back in 2003-2005, and I think that descriptor is fitting when applied to an absinthe that is loaded with beautiful Pontarlier wormwood...it makes one salivate profusely, and the effect and resulting flavor is very similar to what a taster experiences after biting into a juicy orange, or even more to the point, a citric and bitter grapefruit.

Edited by Absomphe, 28 October 2011 - 03:00 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#320 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'd be happy to continue this discussion in a more appropriate thread but lets return this thread back to its original program.

Rob and VC are both very, very good! :cheers:

#321 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

The only reason you're laboring under that misapprehension is onacuz you never joined that evil Louched Lounge. :laugh:

I wasn't saying you're the first person EVER to use that term. I was saying you're the first person to do it here in the forums.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#322 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

I agree with Joe. VC is very nice.

#323 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,712 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Indeed it is, and I've been out of it for far too long. Double entendre! Ha!

There's always my favorite usage of the word "Juicy". :laugh:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#324 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

In my future review of VC I'll have to use the phrase "Juicy Funk" just to see if it gets anyone's blood boiling.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#325 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Indeed it is, and I've been out of it for far too long. Double entendre! Ha!

There's always my favorite usage of the word "Juicy". :laugh:

That guy needs to watch his language. Where's he been? Racial slurs? Derogatory terms toward women? :dry:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#326 JDHURF

JDHURF

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I received my bottle of Vieux Carre a while back. I was quite eager to try it. When I opened it and took a smell I could tell immediately that it was of a different quality than the previous absinthe I had tried. The aroma opens up quite nicely when diluted with water. It doesn't sting the nose with strong alcohol as did the La Fee. It is actually quite pleasant to simply smell for a while before drinking.

It has a nice strong menthol flavor upon hitting the palate and has a wonderful after taste of spearmint. The aftertaste is fantastic. It was delicious and reminded me strongly of something very particular and I couldn't quite place it. I read the ingredients and found spearmint listed. That is absolutely the after taste. It reminds me of a spearmint gum.

The first time I tried it with the usual sugar cube per glass and had three glasses. I had only planned on having one or at most two (I could only take one glass of the La Fee at a time and never had more than a few sips of the Pernod) but it was just so damn delicious.

The sugar seemed to be a bit much, especially when having more than one glass and using an entire sugar cube per glass. After a few weeks I got out the Vieux Carre again and this time didn't bother with the sugar. It is my firm belief that Vieux Carre is of such a high quality that sugar is something a bit like a perversion. I found a very noticeable improvement in taste without the sugar. It was also far easier to distinguish the flavors. The sugar seems to muddy the absinthe.

I have only had a few very horrific excuses for absinthe so far, so Vieux Carre is certainly the best I've had. However, Vieux Carre is now easily one of my favorite drinks period, absinthe or not.

#327 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

I would not confuse the quality of an absinthe with whether or not you think it needs sugar! I agree with you; VC is best without. There are some very fine absinthes however, that I do enjoy with sugar. In some cases, it brings out hidden or subtle notes. Don't forget, it was the common way to prepare the best absinthes from the Belle Époque, that we now consider benchmarks.

There is a common position among many that they don't use sugar anymore. This is a personal choice, not an evolution showing one's degree of experience or expertise. It is a personal journey of discovering your preferences. I only sugar certain absinthes, but these few open up nicely with sugar, for my tastes.

I bring this up only for the reason that some new to absinthe may start avoiding sugar, even though they enjoy it in absinthe, only because some veterans don't use it, and feel it is a goal to reach that position.

#328 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

Good point, Scott.
I usually use sugar but not always. It depends more on my mood than the absinthe I'm drinking.

#329 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

Agree. I almost always drink absinthe in a "punch" ...that is, with sugar, water, lime juice and cucumber slices. I said to my husband one day that I need to start training myself to do without the lime juice and cucumber, to drink it more often in the traditional way, and he said, "Why? If that's the way you like it, stick with it." He's right. Drink it the way you like it. Sugar, no sugar, champagne, Sprite, lime juice, cucumber... root beer? (I suspect my leg was being pulled on that one.)
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#330 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Funny, a little (half cube) of sugar is mandatory for VC in my case. But I do enjoy it a lot. At the moment it is my favorite decanter, a job the bottle does very well. Maybe I need another decanter, one with VC still in it. :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association