• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#1 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Well, I figured since Vieux Carre has actually hit the market now (at least in Pennsylvania) and we really have a brand to discuss (as opposed to endless speculation and rumors about its imminent release), I'd start a new thread devoted to it in the proper forum.

I had the opportunity to purchase my first bottle about a week ago and I've been sipping on it more or less constantly since then. While I don't feel ready quite yet to write a formal review, I thought I'd share my first impressions.

To be brief: in my opinion, this is a top-notch absinthe that is far and away the best available off the shelf in this state (there's not much in the way of competition, of course!) and easily ranks among my current half dozen favorite COs (out of 14 I've tried, including the Jades, the Matters, Clandestine, etc.--take that for what it's worth). It gives me, along with Marteau and Leopold Bros., great hope for the future of American absinthe.

A great deal of care has obviously gone into this product, from the design of the bottle (I believe Shabba--uh, Brian--posted some pics in the original thread) to the quality of the absinthe itself.

The presentation is very nice, though there is some natural sediment floating in the bottle; I know this bothers some folks. It does settle rather quickly, though, and I don't see it posing much of a problem until you get to the bottom of the bottle, at which point you could simply decant with a filter.

Neat in the glass, the VC is a beautiful olive green (a bit darker in person than Brian's pics suggested to me). It louches very nicely: thick oily trails and plumes slowly building from the bottom and forming a green line that disappears at around 2:1, when the drink becomes opalescent--a lovely milky mint green. It has a tantalizing aroma--a little mint, some genepi, a touch of honey. All of that carries over to the flavor, which also boats some very floral wormwood, anise, and sweet fennel. Clearly very high quality herbs. Creamy mouthfeel. The finish is long and dry with a very nice wormwood bite and a little tongue numbing.

The first time I tried it, I mixed it at 3:1 and it almost knocked my socks off! Very bold, herbal and spicy, with a heavy, almost mead-like character to it. The next time I mixed it, I dialed it down to 4:1 and it was much lighter and more subtle, if a little thin. I finally tried it at about 3.5:1 and found the sweet spot (for me). Delicious!

I want to commend BCDistiller and everyone else at Philadelphia Distilling for creating such a fine, distinctive absinthe! Bravo! A look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks about it, but as far as I'm concerned, this is one is a winner! :cheers:
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'd say I'm in agreement with you AiO. It is very good absinthe, indeed.

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

You folks just sip and tell. I'll be the guy in the corner drooling and waiting. *smile*

I'll get it when it becomes available. It will be enjoyed that much more.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'll be trying the Vieux Carre today for the first time. I just opened the bottle and I have to say this is the first absinthe I've really had trouble picking out the herb bill with. I'm not quite sure what's in there, but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Of course I literally just opened it (15 min. ago). I have some decanting and I'm sure it will open up in a few hours.

I'm sure it won't be optimal today, as it hasn't had a chance to breathe, but I always like to try at least 1 glass as soon as I open it to compare how a product changes over time.

No better way to toast the Eagles NFC Championship than with a glass of absinthe made by a local Philadelphian.
Porkchops are good

#5 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

This stuff is wonderful. The nose and taste are very complex and interesting. Anise is the predominant note but it doesn't obfuscate anything else. I think it's the perfect amount of anise. The louche is thick, it has a creamy mouthfeel and the finish is long and cooling. It imparts an ever so slight numbing sensation.

My only critique's of this absinthe are the sediment in the bottle, the louche could form more slowly and the wonderful aroma stays mostly in the glass.

With this stuff being readily available on the shelves in local liquor stores, I'll be drinking a lot of it.
Porkchops are good

#6 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

More salt! Rub more salt in the wound. *grin*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#7 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

*throws 40 lb bag of sidewalk salt on Bill and myself* :3869-sadbanana:

That does sound wonderful, though. If it is that complex I can't wait to try it.
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#8 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

It's very complex. I'd rank it 3'rd in the complexity department behind only the Belle Amie and Jade Nouvelle-Orleans. If it was more room filling I wouldn't hesitate to give it a 5 in aroma, which I've only given to those other two at this point.

When I said the louche could "form slower", it probably would have been better wording to say it could "build more gradually". It doesn't form right away, it waits, but then when it does form it builds pretty quickly.

I'll be writing a review very shortly.
Porkchops are good

#9 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Complexity, spicy, floral, herbal, woohoo! Let's make sure DrinkupNY gets a case soon, eh?
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

I sent Kamal a note asking about it. His reply came about two hours later stating he was just waiting on NY approval.

Their customer service is just fine.

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

It's very complex.

I found it fairly simple, but enjoyably so. I like it very much.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

My bar for complex is an herbal profile that literally rolls over the palate. A rare and true treat.
The Vieux Carre did not "roll" but that being said I did enjoy it and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again.
I am the wood nymph.

#13 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

Maybe I'll have to cheat and ask AiO for that herb bill. The product I'm tasting sure seems like it has a wide variety of herbs and that some of them are not normal absinthe ingredients, if not unprecedented. I didn't want to ask him for it until after I'd written a review though because I don't want any pre-conceived notions about what I'm picking up. Now my curiosity might get the better of me though.

My criteria for complex is pretty much the same as yours Maggie, and I'm getting that with this absinthe. I'm really having a hard time picking out individual herbs other than the holy trinity because there are just so many nuances coming at me from so many angles with such wonderful balance, and as I said I'd wager some aren't normal and probably not in any other absinthe I've ever had.

The Jade N-O was complex in an idiosyncratic kind of way. It was just so unique. This one has a profile more in line with what you'd expect from your "normal" absinthe, but still complex IMO.
Porkchops are good

#14 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Simple, complex--I'll leave that judgment to the experts.

What I will say, is that--IMHO--this a great-tasting absinthe! One that I will be keeping on hand and one that I think many of the folks who post here will enjoy.

I have a sample on the way to an esteemed member of the WS who has kindly sent me some things in return. Hopefully he'll put his two cents in when he has had the chance to taste it.

Tally: I will PM you shortly.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

IMHO--this a great-tasting absinthe!

Seconded.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

My criteria for complex is pretty much the same as yours Maggie, and I'm getting that with this absinthe.

To be fair all I had was a few tastes of a sample provided by a kind friend. Perhaps I didn't let it breathe properly. I did enjoy it and definitely appreciated the opportunity to try it. :cheers:
I am the wood nymph.

#17 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

And to be fair you and Shabba have had far more to compare by than I've had. I've yet to taste 20 different commercial absinthe's, and none of the unmentionables that you "cool people" are able to get your hands on. To me, this is the most complex absinthe I've had next to the Belle Amie & N-O.

I just remembered a certain ingredient this stuff had in it that is unusual in absinthe (but delightful). That may have been part of what perplexed me.

In any event, it seems everybody agrees that this is good stuff.
Porkchops are good

#18 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Compared to some of the herbal bombs, I can understand why some people might not think it is very complex. I think there are some wonderful surprises floating in the background. No one said complexity can't be subtle and here I think VC is excellent. Sip again and taste the smooth herbal blend. That hint of Genepy floating in the background is wonderful.

Describe it as simple, subtle or complex but either way about it, you will surely agree that it is a very well made absinthe. I can't imagine turning down a glass. :cheers:

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Don't think that my saying it's simple is anything disparaging. Quite the opposite. I'm normally a fan of big flavors with lots going on, but that's what I really liked about this one: it's the absence of any overpowering flavors and spiciness that makes it extremely enjoyable. It was a refreshing change of pace.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I certainly didn't take it as disparaging. I don't see why anybody would.

"Simple complexity"... well said. I'll go with that.
Porkchops are good

#21 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

As much of an oxymoron as that sounds, I'll concur. It's pretty straightforward, but the way in which the flavors present themselves are great.

That said, I taste the genepi, but there's something else going on in there. Genepi is more astringent to me...and astringent this absinthe ain't. Call me crazy, but I swear there's this kind of green tea / Earl Grey thing going on. It's on the nose, but more on the palate. Those of you who can, have another glass when you get the chance and see if you can't pick it up. I've got the wife in agreement so far.

Oh, and AiO -- that sediment is the good stuff, mang! I don't like muddy particulate in my absinthe, but if you re-suspend the bottle every time before pouring you'll be in for a much more flavorful drink the whole way through your purchase.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Earl Grey. Yes, I can see...er, taste that. Nice description.

#23 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Ditto--I think you're on to something there, precenphix. I wouldn't have thought to label it as such, but I just finished a glass of VC and I can taste the Earl Grey still! Very interesting.

Agreed on the sediment as well. I haven't been particularly careful about pouring, so I've gotten some floaties in most of the glasses of VC I've had so far and they've been very flavorful. Maybe I'll start shaking up the bottle before I pour from now on!

I'm just enjoyin the heck out of this one! :cheers:

#24 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:02 AM

Maybe he colored with young tea leaves. :laugh:

Either way, it's delicious stuff. I plan on picking up another bottle soon.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#25 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

You better.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

Nice article in the Philly Inquirer. Congrats, Rob! :cheers:
Attached File  Vieux.jpg   91.37KB   14 downloads

#27 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Beautiful bottle...will have to hide it from the evil beams of Ra though!

#28 cuz

cuz

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Can this be ordered online anywhere?

#29 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Naturally I had to have several more glasses to look for this "tea" characteristic (for strictly scientific purposes). I picked it up right away now that I was looking for it. I think this Vieux Carre has a lot of unique things going on, but without coming close to what one would label "quirky". Wonderful depth to the flavors as well.
Porkchops are good

#30 Rick Cockroft

Rick Cockroft

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

I bartered with my stepson to have a bottle sent to me. He lives in Pennsylvania near Harrisburg. He is going to send me a bottle in return for a fair amount of Wisconsin cheese. He wants 9 year old Sharp Cheddar and an assortment of other types. I have checked shipping prices from the various flying monkeys, he may have to send me 2 bottles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association