Sign in to follow this  
Butch Onufrak

Genepi des Pères Chartreux

I've only tried one version of it, but it's DAMN tasty. I had to put it someone else's safe keeping just to it would last long enough for me to savor it. :twitchsmile:

Emile Pernot used to have some on the LdF site, under fine and rare spirits, but I haven't seen it on there for a while. Seems like their trimming that section down, I'm hoping it's just a seasonal thing.

The sample I have was sent to me by a very wonderful, and very generous forum member. :cheers:

I would love to try both Emile Pernot's and this one.

I'd like to give it a whirl myself. The stuff I had recently was just damn tasty, thank you very much. *smile*

LdF is out of Perique and I go there everyday to check on it. This will be something else to enhance my buying experience.

I sent a note to LdF asking about Genepi and bugged them some more about Perique yesterday. I'm thinking the reply was they had Genepi and the Perique was ordered in November and they're waiting for it themselves.

Not ver batim but the gist.

Everybody has to wait, we're not alone. Cheers!

I've only tried one version of it, but it's DAMN tasty. I had to put it someone else's safe keeping just to it would last long enough for me to savor it. :twitchsmile:

Yeah, Joe has to hide stuff from me too. :dev-cheers:

Yum. I had a glass of Genepy on the rocks with a splash of Peychaud's. Jules Maggie opted for the Angostura bitters. I think she won but both were damn good.

Hmmm, maybe with a little Peach bitters? A little Grenadine? And...

Science Marches On!

Edit: We can't decide which is better.

The peach bitters and the grenadine were the next comparative study and both were very good. I'd call it a solid tie with different flavor profiles. I just loves me some Genepy liqueur. :heart:

I'm interested in tasting other herbal spirits - the ones already mentioned, Unicum, Ouzo, Metaxa, Chartreuse... Anyone care to share brief tasting impressions?

Well, Ouzo is an anise-based beverage, I've had the Metaxa brand, and it's pretty tasty, if one-dimensional.

Chartreuse is absolutely marvelous on the rocks. It's sweet, and the tang of about a million herbs take root on your tongue, all vying for your attention. The bitterness of wormwood, anise notes, and hyssop are all present, with many more. You can use it in cocktails, but much like absinthe, a few drops go a long way.

I've not had Unicum, I need to get me a "bottle" (it comes in a ceramic jug, so is bottle is the right word?).

Is a crock a vessel??

Thanks for the review! I think I would like to try this. Maybe I'll beat ya to the punch on the Unicum purchase and return the favor...

I've not had Unicum, I need to get me a "bottle" (it comes in a ceramic jug, so is bottle is the right word?).

:shock: I have never seen it in ceramics, rather round dark green bottles of various sizes. You mean the real Unicum or something else?

Metaxa is not actually an all-herbal stuff. It is a genuine brandy flavoured slightly with anise, rose petals, the 7 star variety is the most recommended, if the smoothest, hence the quickest drunk is 5 star variety.

Chartreuse is also very easily drunk, with a nice angelica/hyssop notes. So one should be cautioned about these two, as hangover can be a killer, too. With Unicum there is not such a problem, you drink one-two glasses after a meal for better digestion and I guarantee you won't drink more-it is heavy on the palate and very, very herbal. However, do not connect it with Fernet-these two, if slightly similar, are completely unrelated and their herb-bill is much different from one another.

Chartreuse is also very easily drunk, with a nice angelica/hyssop notes. So one should be cautioned about these two, as hangover can be a killer, too.

The second worst hangover of my life hit me a few years ago, courtesy of a bottle of Chartreuse V.E.P.

Delicious stuff, but caution is definitely advised.

I first tasted Unicum at the Zig Zag Cafe and promptly *needed* to get a hold of some, partially to honor my heritage, but mainly because I enjoy it thoroughly. There's a a lot going on flavor-wise, I understand that many herbs are involved, but what you mostly get is a bitter component, like Campari, but then a strong sweet component too. And overall a nice, balanced, full flavor.

Came up with the following cocktail, with the help of Murray (at Zig Zag):

-1790-

2 oz Rye

1/2 - 3/4 oz Unicum

1/8 oz Cointreau

2 dashes Fee's Old-Fashioned Bitters

stir with ice & strain

Haven't seen it much lately ... I had to get it from New York and it was about a year ago.

There's another liqour called Zwack, which I've heard called "Unicum Light", and I understand developed for the US market. Mainly the same flavors, only with a lot less of the bitter.

Still very tasty, and one of my favorite cocktails is the:

Rebel

1 1/2 oz bourbon or rye

1 1/2 oz Zwack Liqour

2 dashes Regan's #6

stir with ice, strain, garnish with orange twist

Zwack (which is also the name of the company) seems to be a lot easier to find online.

Finally, I've only ever seen the two of these in dark green, round, glass bottles.

Enjoy! :arrr:

Those cocktails sound great, I've gotta whip those up if I can get the ingredients...

Ok so, quick question. I know I saw 'Unicum' at some store at some point, but its not my local store. They just had 'Zwack.' I got a small sample bottle of it. Do you think I should sip it neat in my Glencairn glass, shoot it, or what?

Thanks

You can definitely sip the Zwack straight, maybe with some ice. And try making a Rebel (if you can't find the Regan's, you can use Fee Brothers Orange bitters). :cheers: