dakini_painter

Le petit pichet d'eau pour d'absinthe

I asked a young gal who is a local potter if she could make a pitcher for holding water and ice for people to louche up their absinthe (real old-style instead of those fancy fountains). She said she'd give it a try. And I bought one of her prototypes.

Pictures here:

http://www.delawarephoenix.com/Pitcher/DSCN0443x.jpg

http://www.delawarephoenix.com/Pitcher/DSCN0444x.jpg

http://www.delawarephoenix.com/Pitcher/DSCN0445x.jpg

This first one is small, not much bigger than your standard Pontarlier repo glass. So enough water for 2 or 3 drinks. We first wanted to see how it would look and work.

We know we want to put a little ice dam at the spout so your ice doesn't go plop into your glass all at once (or at all!). I'd like to be able to better dribble the water out, rather than a stream, but I don't know if that's possible. These will be Delaware Phoenix brand items, so somewhere will be the distillery name (like duh!).

Other colors are possible (likely), with of course there being a green, but who knows, maybe a delicious red or vibrant blue.

So I'm curious about folks opinions and views. I know many prefer fountains, put I think many average folks might be put off by all the accoutrements, when really all you need to do is pour some water into a glass with some absinthe.

Being a handmade item it might be more expensive than a glass pitcher you'd buy at Wally world or IKEA. But a little pitcher might be about $15. We haven't worked out pricing on a larger size, not knowing what might be best.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and views.

I think pitchers are lovely things, both functional and traditional. It's really cool to bring in another local artist into your project, too. Excellent idea, Dakini. :thumbup:

I like the pitchers...sometimes getting a fountain ready is such a project, whereas a quick louche with a handy small pitcher might be just the thing. Some sort of ice dam does sound like a good idea, though.

A nice piece like that could be set in the fridge or freezer before use.......couldn't it? That clay material is a good insulator and should hold cold pretty well. I don't mean fill it and put it in the freezer of course but the fridge should be just fine. JMO

I'll do it when I get one, or more. The size would be suitable. Cheers!

The ice dam is a great idea, and I do think this is a handy alternative to filling the fountain. Cleaning a pitcher is a lot easier than a fountain, and you're right, I can store it in the fridge with a bit of Sarin Wrap over the top between glasses...

Remember, in the days of yore a gentleman that could pour a very thin stream of water over the sugar cube was held in high esteem, not drips or dribbles but a very thin stream. My personal feelings are, a good absinthe shouldn't need a five minute drip.

Unless you're doing it for the pure unbridled joy of watching a slow louche develop, of course.

Cool pitcher. I probably won't win any points with people by saying this, but I dont' think $15 is enough for a handmade piece. My family runs a pottery company, and the only pieces they make that are $15 are tiny stoneware necklaces. Granted, they can charge a bit more because they mainly do antique replicas and they've built up a name for themselves, but still...

Jesse dropped off 11 small pitchers and 3 large ones today. I'll post pics on Friday along with pricing and ordering information. I personally think they look super. I might be biased. :)

Way to go! Thanks for the thought dakini. I'd be interested in one when availible. I must say that I kind of agree with phoenix on this, your costs should be considered in the pricing.

A teaser picture to save bandwidth here.

More can be found at

http://www.delawarephoenix.com/Pitchers.html

along with all the other info. The short answer is $20+shipping for a small pitcher, and $35+shipping for a large pitcher. I make nothing because I didn't do anything. Just cover my shipping costs and keep enjoying my absinthe and I'm happy. And enjoy your pitcher too.

post-685-1241703792_thumb.jpg

Email at you --- I'd like either #1, or #11 it dosen't matter which one --- if either one is still available.

Edited by Gil

Those of you who ordered the pitchers and have them now know just how nice they are !!!!

The small pitchers are a perfect size and look GREAT setting on the table beside my other absinthe pieces. They pour a fine stream down to a drop trickle.

Big Thumbs up !!!! :thumbup:

These are really fantastic DP. They went fast too!

Personally, I'm looking for someone to make a copy of the art nouveau Green Fairy pichet the Virtual Absinthe Museum has here . Do you think your friend would be willing to give it a go?

There's still a couple pitchers left. Jesse is making more, this time with more green ones since obviously they seemed more popular.

I have no idea if she'd be interested in making a replica. I'll have to ask. Since this isn't her usual style (especially the figurative work) I don't know.

My pitcher arrived today! :yahoo:

It pours great and looks nice next to my unofficial Delaware Phoenix Distillery pitcher that I store my spoons in.

You mean that was still on your shelf when I left? :laugh:

It is very nice looking, Phoenix. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on one of those green ones earlier. Next time, I will make sure to grab one.