Retrogarde

An Unscientific Comparison

So I've been baffled by the Absinthe Robette advert for a while now. It seems like such a big glass. So I thought I'd take a stab at just how big:

comparison.jpg

Yeah, my glass isn't exactly the same shape, but taking into account that the poster isn't life sized etc. I figure it at least is a place to start.

Since the poster lady hasn't finished filling her glass it's hard to tell where to stop, but the glass I am holding has a mark about an inch down from the rim, so that is what I've filled to. In my glass that equals 500 ml. So now let's do some math:

If she is doing a 1:3 ratio that means 125 ml of absinthe (about 4 oz).

If she is doing a 1:5 ratio that of course means 100 ml (or just over 3 oz).

I usually average 1 oz of absinthe per glass, so if I were planning to have 3 or 4 glasses, I guess this would be the most expedient way to go.

Any thoughts? Did I mess up the math on this or miss something obvious?

Sounds about right, but I don't think that the ad was scaled for accuracy. Many times, the focus of an add will be magnified to focus attention and/or imply importance.

I agree Shabba, but the glass is unique. Have you seen anything similar ever used for absinthe? I don't have the new Absinthe Encyclopedia, so if Oxy has 12 pages of photos of these glasses then I apologize! :cheers:

I haven't seen one exactly like that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, it could have been a glass that was created (drawn only) specifically for the poster.

It's similar to an Yvonne style, but larger. A glance at the Verreries de Croismare shows that the largest Yvonne glass they had in the catalog held 40cl if I'm reading it correctly.

There is another style which I believe is called Tivoli that looks even more similar, due to the flat bottom where it connects with the stem.

Okay, I'll fess up...I drew the original.

Absomphesizing™ has always been my thing. :devil:

Seriously, I did have an antique, heavy, sturdily constructed glass of that exact shape, at one time, but I assumed it was more of a pilsener glass than one intended for absinthe.

I'd most likely chalk the artiste's rendition up to visually poetic license.

Mine is for pilsener too, honestly.

I agree the artist probably did make this up though. Or that girl is a flippin' lush! :devil:

Whoa...looks and loose morals, eh?

If she actually had some intellect, I wanna hitch a ride in that time machine of yours, next trip, Retro!

That does look strikingly similar, Shabba. It probably was an absinthe glass, after all, simply exaggerated for effect, as you suggested.

Sounds about right, but I don't think that the ad was scaled for accuracy. Many times, the focus of an add will be magnified to focus attention and/or imply importance.

But looking at the rest of the poster that Retrogarde's photo misses out, the proportions of the poster lady do not seem to be unduly magnified (although they did focus my attention AWAY from the absinthe).

Absinthe-Robette-52KB-324x438.jpg

And if you look at the size of the sugar in proportion to the rest of the glass, it must've been something like a 3oz dose, otherwise it would've been much too sweet.

One glass of absinthe, with a side of insulin, please!

Agreed. I hadn't noticed she was drinking anything until these guys made such a fuss.

Wow! That lady with the tits has a. Wow. A lady with tits. Wow. Tits. :twitchsmile:

Totally. Everyone knows that only the female Sea Monkeys have seventeen tiny breasts—males only have fifteen.

About the Robette girl: She's a fairy. She's small. Otherwise the sugar is about the size of a box of matches.

What's I've always found intriguing is the incredibly provocative pose of her hands.

I haven't seen one exactly like that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, it could have been a glass that was created (drawn only) specifically for the poster.

It's similar to an Yvonne style, but larger. A glance at the Verreries de Croismare shows that the largest Yvonne glass they had in the catalog held 40cl if I'm reading it correctly.

There is another style which I believe is called Tivoli that looks even more similar, due to the flat bottom where it connects with the stem.

I have a couple of big'uns I got from Ian many years ago, they are like the equivalent of those steak places where if you can finish the heart attack on the plate, your meal is free. With these glasses, if you finish your drink, you can pass out on my bathroom floor for free.

Damn straight, Shabba! :pirate:

Wow! That lady with the tits has a. Wow. A lady with tits. Wow. Tits. :twitchsmile:

You mean those pert little nubbins, T? You call those ti...

Oh, hell, I guess I'm just spoiled rotten. :devil:

You mean those pert little nubbins, T? You call those ti...

One poster. One label. Two fine examples demonstrating pert decorations are lovely decorations, indeed.

And again, the second lady in question lovingly holding her glass. I assumed that one was a torsade.

More homework for Retrogarde and all others with a scientific interest in the size of ... glasses:

Charlotte.jpg

Alan, you're an officer and a gentleman. :cheers:

And if you look at the size of the sugar in proportion to the rest of the glass, it must've been something like a 3oz dose, otherwise it would've been much too sweet.

One glass of absinthe, with a side of insulin, please!

French sugar cubes was (and are) fairly large. Twice the size of a normal sized Swedish sugar cube for instance. Also, back then it was quite common to add not only one, but two or even three sugar cubes to your absinthe...

but two or even three sugar cubes….

I wonder how much of it was fashion of the times and how much of it was taste. Clearly we’ve seen PB samples have aged wonderfully but I wonder if some of the lesser-known copycat brands had more harshness to them?

Maybe I should ask Retro to go back in time again to find out…