• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

So I've been baffled by the Absinthe Robette advert for a while now. It seems like such a big glass. So I thought I'd take a stab at just how big:

Posted Image

Yeah, my glass isn't exactly the same shape, but taking into account that the poster isn't life sized etc. I figure it at least is a place to start.

Since the poster lady hasn't finished filling her glass it's hard to tell where to stop, but the glass I am holding has a mark about an inch down from the rim, so that is what I've filled to. In my glass that equals 500 ml. So now let's do some math:

If she is doing a 1:3 ratio that means 125 ml of absinthe (about 4 oz).
If she is doing a 1:5 ratio that of course means 100 ml (or just over 3 oz).

I usually average 1 oz of absinthe per glass, so if I were planning to have 3 or 4 glasses, I guess this would be the most expedient way to go.

Any thoughts? Did I mess up the math on this or miss something obvious?
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

Sounds about right, but I don't think that the ad was scaled for accuracy. Many times, the focus of an add will be magnified to focus attention and/or imply importance.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

I agree Shabba, but the glass is unique. Have you seen anything similar ever used for absinthe? I don't have the new Absinthe Encyclopedia, so if Oxy has 12 pages of photos of these glasses then I apologize! :cheers:
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

I haven't seen one exactly like that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, it could have been a glass that was created (drawn only) specifically for the poster.

It's similar to an Yvonne style, but larger. A glance at the Verreries de Croismare shows that the largest Yvonne glass they had in the catalog held 40cl if I'm reading it correctly.

There is another style which I believe is called Tivoli that looks even more similar, due to the flat bottom where it connects with the stem.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Okay, I'll fess up...I drew the original.

Absomphesizing™ has always been my thing. :devil:

Seriously, I did have an antique, heavy, sturdily constructed glass of that exact shape, at one time, but I assumed it was more of a pilsener glass than one intended for absinthe.

I'd most likely chalk the artiste's rendition up to visually poetic license.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

Mine is for pilsener too, honestly.

I agree the artist probably did make this up though. Or that girl is a flippin' lush! :devil:
--Betina J. Wittels

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

Here's a copy of the page with the Tivoli glass I was mentioning. Third row down.

Attached File  Portieux_Absinthe_70KB.jpg   70.69KB   26 downloads

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

Whoa...looks and loose morals, eh?

If she actually had some intellect, I wanna hitch a ride in that time machine of yours, next trip, Retro!

That does look strikingly similar, Shabba. It probably was an absinthe glass, after all, simply exaggerated for effect, as you suggested.

#9 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

Sounds about right, but I don't think that the ad was scaled for accuracy. Many times, the focus of an add will be magnified to focus attention and/or imply importance.

But looking at the rest of the poster that Retrogarde's photo misses out, the proportions of the poster lady do not seem to be unduly magnified (although they did focus my attention AWAY from the absinthe).

Posted Image
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#10 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

And if you look at the size of the sugar in proportion to the rest of the glass, it must've been something like a 3oz dose, otherwise it would've been much too sweet.

One glass of absinthe, with a side of insulin, please!
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#11 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

The point is that NAKED WOMEN drink absinthe, not naked women drink ABSINTHE.

#12 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Agreed. I hadn't noticed she was drinking anything until these guys made such a fuss.

Wow! That lady with the tits has a. Wow. A lady with tits. Wow. Tits. :twitchsmile:

#13 Silent

Silent

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Advertisements really aren't always known for their accuracy.
"If you believe that your thoughts originate inside your brain— do you also believe that television shows are made inside your television set?" -- Warren Ellis

#14 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Totally. Everyone knows that only the female Sea Monkeys have seventeen tiny breasts—males only have fifteen.

About the Robette girl: She's a fairy. She's small. Otherwise the sugar is about the size of a box of matches.

What's I've always found intriguing is the incredibly provocative pose of her hands.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

You gotta cup tha...

nevermind....

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Sometimes a humongous absinthe glass is NOT just a humongous absinthe glass. :pirate:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#17 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

I haven't seen one exactly like that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, it could have been a glass that was created (drawn only) specifically for the poster.

It's similar to an Yvonne style, but larger. A glance at the Verreries de Croismare shows that the largest Yvonne glass they had in the catalog held 40cl if I'm reading it correctly.

There is another style which I believe is called Tivoli that looks even more similar, due to the flat bottom where it connects with the stem.

I have a couple of big'uns I got from Ian many years ago, they are like the equivalent of those steak places where if you can finish the heart attack on the plate, your meal is free. With these glasses, if you finish your drink, you can pass out on my bathroom floor for free.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

I'm game! And I'm sure 'somphe is too. :thumbup:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Damn straight, Shabba! :pirate:

Wow! That lady with the tits has a. Wow. A lady with tits. Wow. Tits. :twitchsmile:

You mean those pert little nubbins, T? You call those ti...

Oh, hell, I guess I'm just spoiled rotten. :devil:

#20 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

More homework for Retrogarde and all others with a scientific interest in the size of ... glasses:

Posted Image
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#21 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

You could tell us earlier that LCB is Pilsener under-cover to check mate the Czechs :devil:
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

You mean those pert little nubbins, T? You call those ti...

One poster. One label. Two fine examples demonstrating pert decorations are lovely decorations, indeed.

And again, the second lady in question lovingly holding her glass. I assumed that one was a torsade.

#23 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:00 AM

I believe so and it is whispering to her. I'll bet she returns the favor. *wink*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#24 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

More homework for Retrogarde and all others with a scientific interest in the size of ... glasses:

Posted Image

Alan, you're an officer and a gentleman. :cheers:
--Betina J. Wittels

#25 cowbwoy

cowbwoy

a wierd one

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

Tiny hands make my, uh absinthe glass look so big!
Gren mwe fret!

#26 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

And if you look at the size of the sugar in proportion to the rest of the glass, it must've been something like a 3oz dose, otherwise it would've been much too sweet.

One glass of absinthe, with a side of insulin, please!

French sugar cubes was (and are) fairly large. Twice the size of a normal sized Swedish sugar cube for instance. Also, back then it was quite common to add not only one, but two or even three sugar cubes to your absinthe...
Der blitze ist an der flachtmatuche

#27 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:43 AM

Thanks God that fashion has faded.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#28 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:09 AM

but two or even three sugar cubes….

I wonder how much of it was fashion of the times and how much of it was taste. Clearly we’ve seen PB samples have aged wonderfully but I wonder if some of the lesser-known copycat brands had more harshness to them?

Maybe I should ask Retro to go back in time again to find out…
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#29 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

What Boggy said!

#30 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

:sarc:

What a bunch of noobs. Someone should have told them how to drink absinthe properly.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association