Sign in to follow this  
Mayzandas

What Duplais is this?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it in several searches and my wife is starting to give me that "How much longer are you going to be on the Internet?" eye.

What is this Duplais Swiss Absinthe Verte that I am suddenly seeing? Is it a special product for the US?

S0684-2.jpg

Or is it this, with a different label:

0120_Duplais_verte_100web.jpg

Or something else?

That's a great question. I was under the impression that the U.S. Duplais release IS the same as the Duplais Verte with the psychedelic fish bottle art (especially since the U.S. label seems to reference awards that the original has won). I could be wrong though.

I hope you're right, GB. I'm a big fan of Duplais Balance. (I'm on my - what? - fourth? - bottle now.)

I haven't tried the Duplais yet, but I understand they are quite similar. Sure would like to buy something like that at the local Bevmo!

...slightly lowered abv.

Hmmmmm.

Okay, I see DrinkupNY gives 68% for the US version and LdF gives 72% for the "psychedelic fish" one. (Good one, GB!) Is that due to some US regulation? I know some states (like California) can't sell the higher content Everclear, for instance. But even so, 72% is below the Everclear 151 (=75.5%) we can buy here.

Perhaps a transportation issue? Seems that there was some conversation recently about shipping 70%+ alc., but I don't remember the details. Perhaps air carrier restrictions?

But even so, 72% is below the Everclear 151 (=75.5%) we can buy here.

Everclear and Clear Spring are the Grain Alcohols available at the Oregon Liquor Commission Stores. We are happy with our Public-Private hybrid system; it is being considered as the Cannabis purveyor should that be made licit here and taxed. (Does any Oregonian speculate we might be enjoying a genuine [unspent] "Coca-Cola" Nut/Leaf Beverage by 2023 ?). Upon becoming an Oregon Citizen twenty years ago, a pharmacist encountered whilst shopping informed me, in regard to a question on obtaining pure Ethyl alcohol for herbal extraction, that they pharmacists simply buy Clear Spring at the Liquor Store when they need any.

Our 'Clear Springs' is pure and smooth, an reminds me of Stolichnaya Russian Vodka in regards smoothness. Whatever they do to it, the nasty alcohols are completely removed and so the Grain Alcohol purified, perhaps by activated charcoal in a multi-stage process. So, if one could talk about "pure enough for a baby" -- as a group of Canadian railroad workers assured me of MacIntosh toffey there a half century ago -- Clear Spring would fit in that category.

It would surprise me greatly if Everclear, also sold at the State Store, were a lower proof than 190, and I speculate that lower proof version(s) might be designed to be sold in States which do not permit sale of the full 95% product, which is about as chemically pure as is practicable to manufacture, I am told. Wikipedia article on Everclear indeed states that the product is available in the two proofs, 190 (95%) & 151 (75%) and cite:

http://www.luxco.com/public/brands/specs/s...dname=EVERCLEAR

Yes, the internet also reveals that Clear Spring similarly is sold in either proof, q.v. Wikipedia, and that the wonder of such high purity is to be found in the absence of cogeners which results from their destruction as Alcohol (Ethynol) approaches 95.6 ABV, after which no more alcohol can be produced after 4.4% water is reached.

Wiki: "In the alcoholic beverages industry, congeners are impurities produced during fermentation. Congeners are responsible for most of the taste, aroma, and color of alcoholic beverages. It has been suggested that these substances also contribute to the symptoms of a hangover."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol), where also:

"It is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in some states of the United States, namely California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,[3] Nevada, New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. In some of these states, the 151-proof variety may be sold.

In Canada, it is sold in Alberta but not in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and most other provinces."

Absintheur M. Batson

No kidding. :wave2:

Anyway, according to what I was told directly from Markus, it was definitely due to newer shipping restrictions. This still begs the question as to how the 72% version is still available at all.

I've had the pleasure to taste both the EU and US releases. The EU was my favorite "go-to" CO for the longest time. While I can taste a slight difference between the two (by memory only), there really is no appreciable difference on a grand scale -- i.e. if it's one your shelf, get it. It pisses over Balance any day of the week, IMO.