Sacramento Bee: "Absinthe: Spirit and Mystique"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mayzandas

Mayzandas

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

"Absinthe: Spirit and Mystique" Sacramento Bee, Dec. 31, 2008, by Bee food and wine writer, Chris Macias. A little bit of history, thujone debunking, the mandatory Hemingway and Van Gogh tie-ins, etc., some cocktail recipes at the end. The article features Lounge ON20, the only place I'm aware of in Sacramento that serves absinthe. (I've added it to the "Absinthe in Cities" forum.) There's also a nice little video in the web page with the bartender at Lounge ON20 demonstrating the French Method and also mixing up an Absinthe Fizz. (The Fizz recipe is in the article, too.)

An okay article, all in all. I was a bit disappointed that Ted Breaux didn't get any mention for his pioneering work with the Jades and getting Lucid legalized. OTOH, the Wormwood Society is mentioned in several places, and Gwydion (Hiram) is quoted thrice.

Companion piece: "Liquid Assets" (reviews of Obsello, Kübler, and Grande Absente). Macias is new to the green fairy, suspects that Obsello is what real absinthe is supposed to taste like. (I haven't tasted this one, but I have the impression it's considered a bit on the minty side.) He likes Kübler, thinks it would "hit the spot on a warm summer evening." (Right on!) And he's a bit horrified by the color of Grande Absente: "Is this the stuff inside a Glow Stick?"

(BTW, the link to this article in the front page of the WWS main site is broken. Can someone fix it?)
"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?" - W. C. Fields

#2 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the link. It's a solid article, I think. And I should have stopped there, yet I went on to read the comments. Mistake.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the tip about the news links. I'm looking into it.

I think it's a really nice article and it's refreshing to talk to a journalist and have them actually pay attention to the story, rather than isolate random attention-getting bytes.

... and Ted gets his full share of ink. ;)

The Czech Blog Troll? Someone asked me if I was paying him. You can't buy publicity that good. He puts WS and me in some of the highest PR ranked pages on the web and then makes himself look like a moron. I love this guy!

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#4 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

After reading the above, I just had to go and look at the comments as well. Not terribly encouraging. <sigh>
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#5 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

The Czech Blog Troll? Someone asked me if I was paying him. You can't buy publicity that good. He puts WS and me in some of the highest PR ranked pages on the web and then makes himself look like a moron. I love this guy!

:laf:

Good point, and a good reframing--if folks come here to see how much crap WS is trying to sling about absinth(e), and they see how the history and concepts are laid out reasonably and sensibly, then this troll has helped change more minds than some of us! :cheers:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#6 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

I take your point, Hiram. I guess I was reacting to some of the vacuous comments from the "civilians" in the comment thread.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

Those civilians are all the same guy. Bank on it.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

I sincerely wonder what Bryan from Obsello thinks about the Czech blogger using his original comments to further the cause of Czechsinthe.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

I sincerely wonder what Bryan from Obsello thinks about the Czech blogger using his original comments to further the cause of Czechsinthe.

Hey Shabba,

To answer your question. FURIOUS!

I don't like being quoted out of context. At least its not "I created the internet", or "I can see France from my house" but it's still annoying.

That said I went looking for the comments. I don't see them this time? Did the news paper remove them?

If any one see's that guy quoting me out of context like that, please tip me off. I have contacted publications in the past to have the posts removed and in some cases posted my own "context statement" in the blogs. It really gets under my skin. Especially when he ends the whole rant with my name under it.

Cheers,
B.

:mbanana: (ok the banana has nothing to do with this, he is just to cool to leave out)

Edited by Obsello, 03 January 2009 - 01:15 AM.

-Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative -Oscar Wilde
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#10 Kyle M

Kyle M

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

Wish the link to the article was still active. :thumbdown:
C:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users