Greg’s Chili Con Carne Recipe

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

This recipe has been a big hit with anyone who has tried it.

Greg's Chili Con Carne Recipe

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground beef
1 lbs hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion chopped
2 medium green bell peppers chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Essence of Emeril
1/2-teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4-teaspoon cayenne
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste
1-teaspoon sugar
1 beer ( I used Budweiser Select)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 grinds of black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 can dark kidney beans with juice
1 can black beans with juice
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 cup shredded cheese, for topping

Directions
:

Brown the ground beef stirring to break up the pieces, drain and set aside. Same for the sausage if not in a casing. If in a casing remove the sausage from the casing by slicing the link long ways and peel off the casing. Once browned drain grease and set aside. Add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper and cook, stirring, until soft. Now add the beer, tomato paste, sugar, cumin, chili powder, essence, smoked paprika, cayenne, dried oregano, ground beef, kidney beans, black beans, and sausage to the pot. Stir well and bring to bubbling. Lower the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
See my DIY video projector with a 7ft wide screen at the address below!

http://www.lumenlab....?showtopic=2833

Artificial intelligence will never replace human stupidity.

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

There are no beans in chili! :shock:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

I'm concerned about the "used Budweiser." How shall we use it? I thought it tasted used before they put it in the bottle.

#4 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Used for deglazing the pan from browning the beef. Silly!

You have to get rid of it someway. *smile*

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

The alleged American Ale makes a decent simmer for brats in a slow cooker.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

OK, so I found a chili thread and here's my recipe that I've finally uncovered after a lengthy search.

Harry's TNT Chili: 3 lbs. Chuck roast cut into ½ inch cubes. 1 lg. Onion chopped, 4 Garlic cloves, minced, 1 Green bell pepper seeded stemmed and coarsely chopped, ¼ cup oil, 2 bottles beer, 1 can tomatoes 14 ½ oz., 6 tbsp. chile powder, 1 tbsp. ground cumin, 1 tbsp. Hungarian paprika, 1 tsp. Mexican oregano, 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. French Grey Sea Salt. Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is translucent. Add the meat and cook, stirring occasionaly, until the meat is browned. Stir in the beer, tomatoes, chile powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionaly, for 2 ½ hours. Stir in the green pepper and simmer uncovered for ½ hour longer. Cooking time may be adjusted along the way by either adding liquid or extending cooking time to reach desired consistency.

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

That looks like it would be some good eatin'. I like the slow simmering for two or three hours.

I told asked precious to get the slow cooker out of the garage yesterday. 'Tis the season for sure.

Cheers!

#8 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

My wife & I love our Crock Pot slow cooker. I've even used beer as an ingredient. Abs, not that I care for crap on tap but I believe Budweiser is an alleged American Lager. Just sayin'.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#9 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

2 days late for me, but there will be a next time soon enough...! :laugh: :thumbup:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#10 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

oooooo....I despise beans. I'm keeping this recipe! ;)

When I was little, my mom would take a couple servings out of the pot for me before adding the yukky beans. hehe

(yep, I'm still a little girl in some ways)

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Abs, not that I care for crap on tap but I believe Budweiser is an alleged American Lager. Just sayin'.

Well, duh, but...

I meant their alleged American Ale.

I wouldn't even cook (or unclog my sink drain) with their alleged American lager.

#12 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

I started on my chili last night at 2am, and it finished cooking around 6 this morning. Just warmed some up to eat. Friggin' fantastic.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#13 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

1 tablespoon Essence of Emeril

He's no Peter North.

BAM!

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Now there's a guy who always knew how to Absomphesize! :paperbag3:

#15 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

I've been searching for a recipe I haven't had the nerve to try yet. It's unusual in that it contains anise, fennel, and coriander. Anyone willing to try A Red Chili Nightmare let me know how it turns out.

#16 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

There's a little bit of redundancy in there.

Can't go wrong with Chocolate Milk. That makes all chili kickass.

Now there's a guy who always knew how to Absomphesize! :paperbag3:

Pre-louched as well.

BAM!

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Never been much of a blanche fan, though.

#18 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

Most are better than some of the rouges out there.

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

...™.

Unless you're actually talkin' 'bout absinthe, in which case, I agree. :devil:

#20 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,031 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:15 AM

I started on my chili last night at 2am, and it finished cooking around 6 this morning. Just warmed some up to eat. Friggin' fantastic.

Care to share your recipe, or at least the highlights?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#21 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

Chile and meat. :devil:

Really though, 3 lbs of chuck, cut into small pieces, 4oz of bulk pork sausage, about 4 tbsp of New Mexico chili powder, 4 tbsp California chili powder, 2 tbsp ancho chili powder, 2 tbsp chipotle powder, 2 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp oregano, cayenne to taste, salt to taste, tabasco to taste (I used chipotle). Also, about 3 tbsp diced green chiles, 3 tbsp minced garlic, 1 medium onion chopped fine. Can of beef broth, and can of chicken broth. I'm pretty sure that's all I used.

It's pretty easy, mix all the dry chili and cumin together in a small mixing bowl. Pour the two cans of broth into your big chili pot and turn on the fire, about medium high heat. Brown the meat in a large pan and add in a little of your spice mix, and don't overcook it (it's going to stew for 4+ hours afterwards). Put about 1/3 of the spice mix into the broth, which should be good and hot by then, and then the oregano. Give it a little stir and drop in all the meat. Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer. Using your drained meat pan, put a splash of olive oil and sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is slightly translucent. In the pot, put in some of the diced green chile and half of the garlic and onion.

Two hours later, drop in another 1/3 of the spice mix, the other half of the garlic and onion, and the rest of the diced green chile. All you should have left is the last 1/3 of the spice mix. Stew the chili for another 1.5 or 2 hours and finally drop in the last of the spice mix. Stew for at least another half hour.

Constantly stir throughout and add a little salt here and there, and a little tabasco at the end.

If you can find fresh ancho or chipotle chile peppers, use a couple of each and cut down a little on the dried spice. Make sure you get rid of the seeds. They will add a little more texture and a bit of freshness. Use them in the same way as the diced green chile.

And there it be. No fillers, no beans, no tomato, etc. Just stewed chile and meat. Obviously, chili is based on your tongue, so add or eliminate wherever you want. But try it first like that and see if it works for you. I'm having another bowl right this minute, on top of some basmati rice I just cooked up.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#22 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,031 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Thanks very much, Ron, it looks fantastic. I always feel honored when someone shares a recipe, and I will try it exactly as it is written.

Good eating! :)
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#23 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Made another batch of chili today: Murray's Girlfriend's Cincinnati Chili

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 pounds beef -- hamburger grind
6 bay leaves
1 onion -- large, finely
-- chopped
6 garlic cloves -- med, fine chop
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
4 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon red pepper -- dried whole or
1 teaspoon chile caribe
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons red chile -- ground, hot-mild
1 teaspoon cumin -- ground
1/2 teaspoon oregano -- dried, pref. Mexican
1 can tomato paste -- (6oz ea)
6 cups water
1 can kidney beans -- (16 oz ea)
1/2 pound vermicelli -- cooked
1/2 cup cheddar cheese -- grated
1 onion -- small, finely -- chopped
Directions 1. Heat the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat to the skillet. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.

2. Stir in the remaining ingredients up through the water. Taste and adjust seasonings. If the flavor is too sweet, add a small amount of vinegar; if not spicy enough, add a small amount of ground chile.

3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 4 hours. Add the kidney beans to the mixture 1/2 hour before serving.

4. Place a small amount of the cooked vermicelli in individual bowls. Spoon on a generous amount of chili. Top with grated cheese and raw onion or pass in individual bowls.~

#24 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Here's one of my faves, heavily inspired by a friend's recipe from way back, though modified to suit my tastes. It's quite good, hotter than the flames of Hell itself, and easy to make. Put some hair on your nethers and try it.

Global Thermonuclear Chili
(or, "Shall we play a game?")

• 2 lb beef, chili grind (a little over is fine - I've gone up to 3)
  • 2 Tbsp lard
  • 6 jalapeno chilies, chopped - seeds and ribs left in
  • 4 serrano chilies, chopped - seeds and ribs left in
  • 2 habanero chilies, chopped - seeds and ribs left in
  • 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
  • 2 cans tomato sauce
  • 1 medium white onion, chopped
  • 3-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt (adding more as needed, to taste)
  • 2 tsp ground chipotle powder
  • 1 tsp espresso ground coffee
  • 1/2 bar baker's bittersweet or dark chocolate
  • 1 22oz. Rogue 'Dead Guy' ale
  • (very optional) 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
Directions:

In a large stock pot, break up the ground meats and the lard, and heat until the meat just starts to sorta gray up on the outside. Add in your onion and your chopped chilies. Continue cooking until the meat is nicely browned.

Once the meat is browned, add your beer. This will foam a bit. Stir it up and wait for the foaming to subside. Once the foam is gone, add your canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring back up to a simmer.

At this point add all of your dry spices and your chocolate. If you're one of those yankees that mistakenly thinks beans belong in chili, this is where you'll add your beans too.

Bring that to a nice simmer, and let it simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Stir it occasionally.

Once finished, adjust for salt content. Proceed to melt faces like in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Edited by kaseijin, 21 January 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#25 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Holy moly. That recipe looks ridiculously fantastic. I wonder if I can use Morningstar Crumbles instead of meat and leave out the lard and still have it come out decently.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#26 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Not sure how that would turn out. But you are in luck! I was a vegetarian for several years before starting on the slippery slope of regression. This is my go-to recipe for a really damn good vegetarian chili:

Chipotle Black Bean Chili

• 6 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1.5 Tbsp whole cumin seeds
  • 4 minced canned chipotle peppers + 1 or 2 tsp of their sauce
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
  • 3 cans black beans, well drained
  • 2 cups veggie stock
Heat the oil up in a large pot and add onion, bell pepper, and cumin. Cook until onion is soft and lightly golden, about 10 minutes.

Add chipotles and their sauce, and stir for around 30 seconds or so -- just to incorporate well. Add beans, tomatoes (with their juices), and veggie stock. Bring up to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.

Simmer this all up until your liquid in the pot has reduced by half. Now, take a stick blender and mash it around in there, until roughly 2 cups' worth of beans in the pot have been mashed. (alternately, you can remove 2 cups, place in a blender, and then return to pot)

Continue to simmer the chili a bit to thicken, then adjust for salt and pepper.

#27 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

That looks awesome, too. :cheers:

I'll probably try that one pretty soon, then try bringing in elements of the Thermonuclear Chili each time I make it afterward. You have no idea how much of a black bean fanatic I am. Going with just the chipotles would please my girlfriend but I'll need to add some more fire to it.

At this point there's probably no going back to meat for me. The biggest reason I stopped eating it was that it makes me physically ill. And now, closing in on a year since I removed it from my diet, when I do find myself having to eat it now and then (like when I'm a guest at someone's table) it doesn't even taste good anymore. It smells great, but tastes bad and has a horrible texture.

Edited by peridot, 22 January 2010 - 11:26 PM.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#28 anonymous green peony

anonymous green peony

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Wow! They all sound yummy! Will definitely try these when cooler weather comes round!! Thanks for the recipes!! :thumbup:

#29 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

While starting some chili this morning I happened to find ICS Past Winners' recipes available. Ah research.

#30 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

used Budweiser."

As long as it is not "abused", maybe a real beer will do?

no beans

A really good chili con carne, I admit. Not that I am against veggies (some really do not belong). It is like I can understand what's the essence of olives (green-so so, but black?). Of course, there are those that dig them.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association