Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

Koruna Czech absinth

Yeah, some junkies sitting and talking coz they need new "oomph" since white fairy, taurine crap neat etc is so de modee:

"Would not it be great if you could have a drink like these that actually tastes good?"

Alright, so most of the things we drink do not taste good? Good to know.

"It should taste sweet and be smooth enough to shoot or mix"

We cater to everyone.

"I am thinking citrus!"

"Boosted with more than just caffeine-B vitamins, taurine, guarana, damianana*, ginseng!"

The devil could not thought up a better poisonous mixture. Renal failure, respiratory failure, heart attack in one. *Good to know they are pro's and know how to spell the ingredient they use.

"You'd wake up in the morning feeling refreshed even though you danced* until 4 in the morning."

*new synonym-drinking=dancing.

Although the shit is slightly alcoholic (35%), it still does contain alcohol and these loonatikk descriptions encourage drinking a lot or continuously of it just so :

"it would keep you in the flow"

So some alcohol mixed well with all these poisons including vitamins that DO NOT mix with alcohol at all is a very dangerous concoction, more dangerous to the health of its consumers than Jagerbombs, vodka with Red Bull, tequila with Burn, etc, etc. Even the makers of these "energetic" drinks clearly mention one MUST not mix them with alcohol, drugs, vitamins, etc.

I am disgusted :puke: :puke: :puke:

From Koruna's US importer's website.

"Czech connoisseurs have respected the superior quality of this traditional Bohemian recipe for more than 100 years. It is considered by most to be the best absinth available.

Koruna is the only genuine absinth in Australia that is made from all natural ingredients, has the maximum legal amount of thujone, contains no artificial colours or flavours, and contains actual wormwood ... It is fit for a king.

• The only absinth available that contains real Wormwood (artemisia absinthium)

• Maximum legal level of thujone (approx 9mg per litre)"

Koruna looks pretty unappealing; not something I'd put in my glass.

Plus all those bits of herbs would just get in my teeth... not a good look. :laugh:

"Czech connoisseurs have respected the superior quality of this traditional Bohemian recipe for more than 100 years. It is considered by most to be the best absinth available.

:twitchsmile:

From Koruna's US importer's website.

Koruna is the only genuine absinth in Australia that is made from all natural ingredients, has the maximum legal amount of thujone, contains no artificial colours or flavours, and contains actual wormwood ... It is fit for a king.

• The only absinth available that contains real Wormwood (artemisia absinthium)

• Maximum legal level of thujone (approx 9mg per litre)"

All complete lies and an OBVIOUS reference indicating this is King of Spirits. Do we have any idea if they've begun advertising yet? I can only imagine how full of bullshit their ads must be...

Don't go too hard on Kamal just yet. Give it a few days, please.

Brian speaks the truth. Just let it slide for a few days everyone, and we will have something to make Kamal reconsider veeeeery quickly. :devil:

All complete lies and an OBVIOUS reference indicating this is King of Spirits.

I'm still not even sure about that. I've dug deep and have thusfar found no connection. They said that they weren't the same products when we talked at the Tales as well. But it certainly begs the question: If it's not the same, how did they come up with the idea to immitate such a product?

I plan to have some more answers soon.

Is it that big of a deal if they carry this? I don't like to see it either, but it's not like Koruna is the only crap brand that DUNY sells. Why no fuss over Le Fee, La Muse, Pernod, and possibly Charlotte (I've only read reviews on that one)?

Because those are really absinthes? I don't care if someone carries a wide quality range, but when they carry faux or mislabeled products, the uninformed consumer is at an unfair disadvantage.

Because those are really absinthes?

Fair enough. In my own definition of what absinthe is, I don't include oil mixes, hence the confusion.

I've been wondering: were there any relatively respectable or accepted pre-ban oil-mix absinthes? Certainly, there exist some really awful distilled absinthes, so would the best oil-mix be better than the worst dist-swilled?

In my own definition of what absinthe is, I don't include oil mixes, hence the confusion.

And what do you base that definition upon?

In my own definition, apples are red. Real apples anyway.

I can think of one oil mix that would beat even mid-range distilled products.

Don't leave us hanging...what is it? For what it's worth, I don't think La Muse is that bad.

In my own definition of what absinthe is, I don't include oil mixes, hence the confusion.
And what do you base that definition upon?

I base my definition on my own personal experiences and research, just like everyone else here. I'm not claiming to be an expert. I've not studied nearly as long, or read nearly as much as many others here (yourself included). There's a reason I've stayed out of the thread about defining absinthe. I guarantee that there's nothing I've read on the subject of absinthe that most here haven't read as well.

That said, I've never found an old recipe for an oil mix absinthe. Does such a thing exist? I'd love to see it.

Lastly, when an official legal definition does get put into place, I'd have no objections to two classes of absinthe (oil mix vs. distilled). When only dealing with one class, oil mixes don't make the cut in my opinion. [DISCLAIMER: My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.]

In my own definition, apples are red. Real apples anyway.

There's no need to be a patronizing dick.

A substitute stays substitute no matter of the fanciful labelling, packaging, whatever.

Yet some were still better than most absinthes.

glassofherbsaint2.jpg

I'd drink this old stuff before a lot of other absinthes.

hmmm.jpg

But it certainly begs the question: If it's not the same, how did they come up with the idea to immitate such a product?

Why? would be an even bigger question regarding imitation. :laf:

I can think of one oil mix that would beat even mid-range distilled products.

Don't leave us hanging...what is it?

Something tells me "would" is the key word in Brian's comment, and he intended to do exactly that, the tease. :devil:

Yet some were still better than most absinthes.

Impy, you know which :devil: I meant, I would never consider Herbsaint of the old a crap.

I see Koruna is listed in DUNY's US absinthe section ...

Good news: this is no longer the case.

Bad news: DUNY now has a section for Czech "absinthe." Maybe DUNY is planning to take more ..

Or perhaps this is good news: Maybe DUNY will take St. Antoine (which does have a COLA).

Here is a pre-ban document validating that before ban in france, oil mixing did exist. I'll translate

maceration.jpg

Have 200 grams of absinthe composition dissolving in 80 liters of good tasting 180 proof alcohol, stir so that it blends well, then reduce the alcoholic level by adding 20 liters of clear water, which should bring the proof to 144

Once this operation performed, color the blended liquid by pouring 230 grams of color; be careful to blend the color correctly before pouring it on the perfumed liquid.

Stir everything and the 144 proof absinthe is thus obtained

The absinthe obtained through this process has been analyzed and found good by the laboratory of the city of Paris (May 16th 1889, n°1825)

The rest is information on how to obtain absinthe with lower proof by mixing.

Hopes that helps with the debate on oil mixing.

As far as I am concerned, nowadays I prefer distillated absinthe, but, well...

That said, I've never found an old recipe for an oil mix absinthe. Does such a thing exist? I'd love to see it.

There are plenty of recipes of oil mix absinthes in Duplais.

Edited by Dom Lochet