Father time of absinthe

St george Absinthe or Obsello absenta or mansinthe absinthe?

But I've yet to hear a quote where Manson misinforms about absinthe.
Seriously. Have you read this thread?

MANSON:

- absinthe is not an alcohol thing.

- It gets you strange it's an opiate sort of thing it's like the equivalent of THC in marijuana.

- I have a guy who sends it [thujone] to me in a dropper; I can put it in Kool-Aid, you don't even need the alcohol.

That's not misinformation?

If you look at any marketing material about the Mansinthe, I doubt you'll find anything about high-thujone, trippin-ballz or lighting stuff on fire.

Strange, that's exactly what I said.

That said, Markus and the Matter distillery haven't reenforced that notion at all, so I hold no grudges towards them one bit.

But I'm in agreement with T.

Let's move on.

BTW FTOA, if you are out and about in OC, you can get a glass of either Lucid or Kübler at Goat Hill Tavern in Newport, Blue Water Grill at the District, and Corner Office Sports Bar in Costa Mesa. I'm sure there are probably others but those are the establishments I've convinced to carry some so far.

I'm not really sure what can be learned in a thread like this that one could not glean from the review pages, but for what it's worth, I think Obsello is a good choice. It's not the best absinthe I've had by any means, but like Makers Mark bourbon, it's a good quality for a very reasonable price. The other two I have not tried, but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.

I actually make my Earthquakes with Maker's Mark...I think they're very tasty

BTW FTOA, if you are out and about in OC, you can get a glass of either Lucid or Kübler at Goat Hill Tavern in Newport, Blue Water Grill at the District, and Corner Office Sports Bar in Costa Mesa. I'm sure there are probably others but those are the establishments I've convinced to carry some so far.

Thanks, i was wondering if there any places out there,it seems kind of a rarity to find a store that carries absinthe.

If your out in newport or the oc we are having a beach party you will be able to spot it not to far from balboa its the brown glass house

One shot of it, and you’re out for the night. Three shots of it, you’re dead.

Apparently, I have died and been resurrected without even noticing.

We try to be fair and consistent.

As opposed to Fair and Balanced.

By the way, thanks also for 86-ing the Bill Shatner picture...

What he said. :thumbup:

Don't listen to those guys. Just don't. Shatner's Rocket Man will be played at my funeral.

Another vote for the Mansinthe. I haven't tasted the Obsello, but I'm on my second bottle of Mansinthe and also have the St. George. (I should probably try that again, now that it has aged a bit, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.)

The OP sounds like a newcomer, and Mansinthe is the most traditional of the three he asked about, closest to what a "real absinthe" is supposed to be. IMHO, it's best to start tasting the more traditional absinthes, to "calibrate" the palette, before venturing into more off-center types.

Besides, it's an excellent absinthe, plain and simple as that. Get past the Marilyn Manson connection and just taste it. I like it very much. One of my favorites. I can't tell you how happy I was to see it on the shelf at Bevmo. Finally, one of my favorites available here in the States! (Now if we could just get Balance!)

Get past the Marilyn Manson connection and just taste it.

I hate to backtrack just to address this, but I wanted it to be perfectly clear.

I'm fairly certain that everyone here who has voiced their opinion regarding not buying Mansinthe on principal has already tasted it, and I think they all gave the absinthe itself a good rating. But that's not the point.

What if KOSG tasted good? Should we back down and not care about the way it's presented to the public?

Mansinthe is the most traditional of the three he asked about, closest to what a "real absinthe" is supposed to be.

I take the view that the Obsello is actually fairly traditional in terms of its flavor profile. It may not be the finest absinthe on the market, but it's pretty good and a real bargain at $50 a bottle or so. I found it to be much less "minty" than expected, based on what I'd heard about it prior to tasting it.

Get past the Marilyn Manson connection and just taste it.

I hate to backtrack just to address this, but I wanted it to be perfectly clear.

I'm fairly certain that everyone here who has voiced their opinion regarding not buying Mansinthe on principal has already tasted it, and I think they all gave the absinthe itself a good rating. But that's not the point.

What if KOSG tasted good? Should we back down and not care about the way it's presented to the public?

Let me admit that I hadn't read this whole thread before I contributed my tuppence. (The OP asked about Mansinthe, Obsello, or St. George.) I wasn't aware of how much of the thread was spent discussing MM's music, personality, comments about absinthe, etc. vs. the quality of the product. I wasn't trying to resurrect a dead horse or anything. Or get anyone to change their politics.

Mansinthe is the most traditional of the three he asked about, closest to what a "real absinthe" is supposed to be.

I take the view that the Obsello is actually fairly traditional in terms of its flavor profile. It may not be the finest absinthe on the market, but it's pretty good and a real bargain at $50 a bottle or so. I found it to be much less "minty" than expected, based on what I'd heard about it prior to tasting it.

I appreciate your comment. Like I said, I haven't tasted the Obsello, but was basing my suggestion on what I've read here on the forums. I actually like a bit of mintiness in my absinthe - Monty is one of my favorites for times when I feel like a change.

I saw some Obsello the other day at Bevmo, but rather than buy a whole bottle just to try it, I may go down to Lounge ON20 in Sacramento where they serve it by the glass. (They also have Leopold Bros. which I am eager to try!)

then that would have to be taken into account.

So you would have it be that unscrupulous marketing, like what much of the Czechsinthe crowd was spewing since the 90's, would be supported because the product tastes good?

That kinda goes against the whole idea of the Wormwood Society, since our goal is to support purveyors that don't use that type of hype and to educate as many people as possible regarding the myths and the truths about absinthe.

Recommendation Policy

In order for us to deem a vendor worthy of recommendation, they must have demonstrated a history of reliability, integrity, customer service and satisfaction, fairness in pricing and marketing language, and offer a good range of quality products with a minimum of mass-market novelty items such as faux-absinthe products.

We specifically recommend against any vendor who places undue emphasis on thujone content, the mythical hallucinogenic or aphrodisiac properties of absinthe, or sells do-it-yourself absinthe kits.

Part of our mission is to educate the consumer and prevent them from being misled by businesses selling grossly inferior and incorrectly identified products at astronomical prices.

I saw some Obsello the other day at Bevmo, but rather than buy a whole bottle just to try it, I may go down to Lounge ON20 in Sacramento where they serve it by the glass. (They also have Leopold Bros. which I am eager to try!)

Sounds like a plan...I hope you find it to your liking.

So you actively misread my post, then, or just don't want to understand what I've said? I changed your premise a little by not only saying it would taste good, but also be correctly made. And yes, I think that *would* have to be taken into account. I wouldn't support its marketing strategy, but I would make a point that it was a great product. It's not, of course. But if it were, that fact couldn't simply be ignored.

But don't take that carriage too far off course, please. Mansinthe marketing is *not* about thujone. *Not* about lighting it on fire. *Not* about selling AA-coloured oilmix to the masses at 150$ a bottle.

then that would have to be taken into account.

So you would have it be that unscrupulous marketing, like what much of the Czechsinthe crowd was spewing since the 90's, would be supported because the product tastes good?

That kinda goes against the whole idea of the Wormwood Society, since our goal is to support purveyors that don't use that type of hype and to educate as many people as possible regarding the myths and the truths about absinthe.

So you actively misread my post, then, or just don't want to understand what I've said?

I understand what you said completely. And I didn't misread it either. I just don't agree.

The point is, regardless of how good a product is (which we've all said that Mansinthe is a pretty good absinthe), if the namesake behind the brand uses falsehoods and thujone hyping to further the success of their product within their fan base, then it wouldn't be something that should be endorsed by an association that aims to prevent that type of marketing.

Alandia makes some products like what you stipulate. But we don't endorse them because of their slant towards thujone hyping. Century is another one. It isn't too bad in regards to our rating system. Better than some other brands that don't hype. But it's all about the thujone content. So it isn't endorsed.

Even if it were Ted Breaux who made those same comments that we attribute to Manson, my opinion wouldn't change. The goal of the WS is to support those producers who represent absinthe in the most truthful manner possible, and who strive to educate the consumer base by dispelling the myths about thujone.

If KOSG were a traditionally distilled absinthe with decent aroma and taste, then that would have to be taken into account.

And if the Queen had balls, she'd be the King!

I changed your premise a little by not only saying it would taste good, but also be correctly made.

What if...

The goal of the WS is to support those producers who represent absinthe in the most truthful manner possible, and who strive to educate the consumer base by dispelling the myths about thujone.

I always thought WS was about awareness and education. I don't recall any WS pimping or endorsing of a product, outside of user dialogue and reviews. If that's the case then WS would be it's own hype machine that MM is getting pinged on, and, if true, anything pimped or hyped should cause people to question the reliability of WS.

As far as I know, I haven't seen Hiram endorse anything (I don't count ads), other than clarifying absinthe information (i.e. history, distillation process, ingredients, etc). So I'm going to continue to view this site as an awareness and education endeavor.

Kitsch Bar in Costa Mesa (Bear and Baker) also has a fountain on their bar. I think it's $10 a glass. I live right by Goat Hill. But if you SoCal'ers really want to try some absinthe's, show up at TDB's party this weekend. (See relevant thread). Woo Hoo.

And just in case anyone is keeping count, I do not like Obsello or St. George, and I do like Mansinthe - with a caveat, Mansinthe definitely needs a little aging.

I always thought WS was about awareness and education.

I was specifically talking about our policy in regards to the 'recommended vendors' section of the main page, which I quoted.

Our actual mission statement is more what you said, which is the first paragragh on the main page:

The Wormwood Society is a non-profit educational and consumer advocacy organization focused on providing current, historically and scientifically accurate information about absinthe, the most maligned and misunderstood drink in history.

Which it does.