Father time of absinthe

St george Absinthe or Obsello absenta or mansinthe absinthe?

Thus, I feel I should remind Manson's supporters that WS has not in fact campaigned against Mansinthe in any way.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel insulted by this comment. As far as I'm concerned, the dialogue was between members and not representative of WS, and to imply that I have (since I'm easily lumped with the pro-Manson crowd) taken it otherwise is insulting. I'm sure it was unintentional, but that implication can add another dynamic that shouldn't be in the discussion.

If I might interject, let's not let this turn into a pissing match. (Not a reference to Tayker and Marlow, per se)

Tayker, I'm certain you are quite right, it was unintentional.

Let's make an effort to keep the conversation civil and between friends. Thanks.

Thus, I feel I should remind Manson's supporters that WS has not in fact campaigned against Mansinthe in any way.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel insulted by this comment. As far as I'm concerned, the dialogue was between members and not representative of WS, and to imply that I have (since I'm easily lumped with the pro-Manson crowd) taken it otherwise is insulting.

No such implication was intended. I merely wished to underscore what you have correctly observed in your post: that this discussion was merely an exchange among forum members, and there is not (so far as I am aware) any sort of WS position recommending against the purchase of Mansinthe.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but that implication can add another dynamic that shouldn't be in the discussion.

We none of us can control what readers infer about our posts here. I hope you will accept my assurances that I make no assumption that you took this exchange as somehow representing the forum's editorial board's official position (which I have no connexion with in any case). I only sought to put the conversation in perspective; I think you will allow that it is at least possible that a casual reader could have taken this exchange the wrong way.

What offends me, Brian, is that Peter is trying to give that persona a credit despite the fact he has been giving absinthe bad reputation ever since and rebuilding the myths of drug-like allure of absinthe not only while pretending to drink it but during the launch of his own brand.

I'm curious how the absinthe interest has survived when the reasons for why it was banned was more common knowledge.

I know I am guilty in initially thinking it would've added another dimension to my artwork. However, and after I became more educated, I came away with a new fascination. Regardless of Manson's hype machine, which is where I got my interest from, I'm not going to assume that everyone who likes him has this borg-like mentality, that's like saying all hippies are dirty when I know a few who do take showers. :) I can see why people don't like the hype, but to think nothing good can come of it short sighted.

I may be the oddball, but I have more weird dreams with non-distilled alcohol of any kind than with distilled alcohol of any kind.

Thank you, Pierre, for the description of the Mansinthe-focused event. On that front, I'm glad it was used as a proper education. I do share others' disappointment at Manson's hype of the drink.

Smiley, it's okay to have a complex relationship with an artist whose work you enjoy. Kurt Cobain was briefly mentioned earlier; I adore his music, though think him an asshole for ending his life. Then again, reframing it as an opportunity to talk more openly and widely about depression specifically and mental illness more widely is something I hope has happened to some degree.

It is difficult to pull back the filters through which one sees one's life, though it is entirely worth it.

However, and after I became more educated, I came away with a new fascination. ... I can see why people don't like the hype, but to think nothing good can come of it short sighted.

Good point. In my slow and steady absinthe education, I did initially think some of the lore/myth/innuendo was true, but once I learned more, "the scales fell from my eyes" and what I found was even more fascinating and compelling, all backed up by a delicious beverage.

Edit: Apologies for the doublies.

That interview below is the only proof of Manson drinking Serpis, noteworthy is the traditional absinthe glass :thumbdown: what proves what a 'great' absintheur Manson is.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=StuMJcw01T4

What offends me, Brian, is that Peter is trying to give that persona a credit despite the fact he has been giving absinthe bad reputation ever since and rebuilding the myths of drug-like allure of absinthe not only while pretending to drink it but during the launch of his own brand.

I am just stating the facts about Manson's recent involvement with Mansinthe, based on my own personal experience and not just what I have Googled. I don't care what people think of Manson (I don't think much of him myself either way, and who cares what kind of 'great' absintheur he is? are we to expect that the world is going to reward us by how great of an absintheur one can become? it's booze! cool, history-soaked booze, but booze none-the-less), but the reality is that he is responsible for the creation of what is now one of the most authentic and best tasting absinthes presently available on the US market. Whether one believes this or chooses to buy it or not, based on whatever reason, is a personal choice. There are already far worse products on the US market today that promote thujone, burning, effects, etc. and this information is being repeated and taught to the public by distributors, bartenders, wineshop owners/employees and other 'respectable' people who don't have a reputation for shock and showmanship.

As far as the Serpis connection is concerned, I know it to be true from things that have really happened in the real world, so to debate about it, with someone who can only use the internet to come to his conclusion, is pointless...

Pointless is reading you. Actually it was yahoo, not google. I thought the brand you are behind (and getting favourable opinions as well) is Vieux Pontarlier, not Mansinthe, but what do I know-I am not paid for it.

absinthe...it's booze! cool, history-soaked booze, but booze none-the-less

Ha! This is definitely going on my list of favorite absinthe quotes.

There are already far worse products on the US market today that promote thujone, burning, effects, etc. and this information is being repeated and taught to the public by distributors, bartenders, wineshop owners/employees and other 'respectable' people who don't have a reputation for shock and showmanship.

Fair point...Manson is hardly the worst purveyor of absinthe-related twaddle.

And we condemn those products and the people that advocate that ridiculous behavior, too. Just because Matter made a good product for Manson is no reason to condone his behavior when it's counterproductive to absinthe education. I think anyone would agree, Mansinthe has been treated fairly in the reviews. We try to be fair and consistent.

Obviously we want this discussion to be educational and happy!!! :cheers:

Marlow, my avatar was from an old 80s cheese horror movie about killer puppet dolls. The cute little guy with the knife is called "blade", and the movie is called "puppet master". It was one of my favourite movies, growing up as a kid.

Manson, obviously is ignorant of:

1 - what he should and shouldn't say to the public

2 - fine-tasting absinthe

However, he does not hype tripping ballz; his absinthe is served traditionally, with a fountain, and with no fire. This is much more than can be said for other absinthes in america today.

YES SHABBA, (I'll answer your question) --> he uses words like "opiate" and "God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins. So it’s gotta be good!" and "Wormwood, when you distill it, makes this thing called thujone; it’s like the equivalent of THC in marijuana."

The first 2 of these 3 comments is him being MM and running his mouth, being what he postulates as "artistic", (come on, that "God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins" part?) ; the same could be said of the poets of the belle epoque; in no way am I comparing the two, but the same accusation could be made of Hemmingway.

The third comment here is quite ignorant; and it was also made two years ago; I know because I WAS AT THAT TOUR IN TORONTO. Slayer was there too.

We can hardly commend manson for doing his homework, but that information DID come from scientists. It was only up until recently that more and better thujone research was done.

Please guys, do not misunderstand me. MANSON IS A DOUCHEBAG.

I just don't think mansinthe should be avoided because of this. This is what this thread is about.

The third comment here is quite ignorant; and it was also made two years ago...

It was only up until recently that more and better thujone research was done.

The corrolation between THC and thujone and its effects on the brain was disproven way before that.

Thujone exhibits low affinity for cannabinoid receptors but fails to evoke

cannabimimetic responses.

by J.P. Meschler, A.C. Howlett

Published in Pharmacol Biochem Behav., March 1999

ABSTRACT

Absinthe, an abused drug in the early 1900s, has been speculated to activate the receptors responsible for marijuana intoxication (the CB1 cannabinoid receptor) (Nature 253:365-356; 1975). To test this hypothesis, we investigated oil of wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) the active plant product found in absinthe, and thujone, the active compound found in oil of wormwood. Radioligand receptor binding assays employing membrane preparations from rat brains containing CB1 cannabinoid receptors, and human tonsils containing CB2 receptors, demonstrated that thujone displaced [3H]CP55940, a cannabinoid agonist, only at concentrations above 10 microM. HPLC analysis of oil of wormwood revealed that only the fractions having mobility close to thujone displaced [3H]CP55940 from the CB1 cannabinoid receptor. [35S]GTPgammaS binding assays revealed that thujone failed to stimulate G-proteins even at 0.1 mM. Thujone failed to inhibit forskolin-stimulated adenylate cyclase activity in N18TG2 membranes at 1 mM. Rats administered thujone

exhibited different behavioral characteristics compared with rats administered a potent cannabinoid agonist, levonantradol. Therefore, the hypothesis that activation of cannabinoid receptors is responsible for the intoxicating effects of thujone is not supported by the present data.

Yes Shabba, I said we can't really say that manson did his homework.

I'm also sure he doesn't frequent forums like this, nor do I think that he keeps up to date in these matters, or even cares about his own "brand", which is really just a bottle with his name on it. We are agreed that he is NOT an absintheur.

This THC - Thujone equivilance thing, although out-dated and wrong, at least came from scientific sources, not from czechs like KOSG. His quote, while wrong, would have seemed acceptable years ago, and as I said, I don't think he cared enough to keep up-to-date on this info.

What I am trying to convey to you, sir, is that he NEVER said you would hallucinate or trip balls.

What CAN be said for him is this:

1 - His absinthe is decent, traditionally prepared, and authentic.

2 - ...

Well, I guess that is really all that can be said for him. But that was the point of this thread:

Mansinthe is an okay absinthe.

What I am trying to convey to you, sir, is that he NEVER said you would hallucinate or trip balls.

You're mincing words. I never said he claimed to hallucinate, but his comments about drinking absinthe can very easily be interpreted as having drug like effects, therefore, 'tripping ballz'.

Decent absinthe or not, there are better brands out there who don't have ANY misinformation. I prefer to stick to those. As a point of disclosure, I have 3 bottles of Mansinthe, and 2 bottles of the prototype sitting in my basement. But I won't be buying any more.

Marlow, my avatar was from an old 80s cheese horror movie about killer puppet dolls. The cute little guy with the knife is called "blade", and the movie is called "puppet master".

I guess the 80s were the decade of psycho killer dolls from hell. All in all, though, I'd say your avatar is cooler than Chuckie.

Thanks for the information.

By the way, thanks also for 86-ing the Bill Shatner picture...I was having flashbacks to The Transformed Man....

Maybe some interviewee will talk him into it, on William Shatner's Raw Nerve.

Like Nimoy, maybe.

And then maybe Shatner will get him to do his rendition of Bilbo Baggins.

And then, maybe, I'll run away screaming.

Peace has been restored and you just have to stop by and stir the pot, doncha! :tongue:

Seriously, enthusiastic discussions are invigorating and enjoyable as long as we don't let them escalate into misunderstandings and hurt feelings. There are real people on the other side of the monitor that given the opportunity, we'd probably enjoy having a drink with. I've said it before, I've never met a WS member in real life that I don't like.

I've said it before, I've never met a WS member in real life that I don't like.

Even if that person brings his kids to jump on your trampoline and mess with your poking sticks?!?! :wave2:

I guess the 'mess with your poking sticks' part sounded WRONG. It has to do with the fire pit!

Edited by LeRoy

I guess the 'mess with your poking sticks' part sounded WRONG.

Maybe just a little. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. *shaking head*

I agree. I've not met a single WS person in real life that I didn't like.

To you all, Cheers!

Decent absinthe or not, there are better brands out there who don't have ANY misinformation. I prefer to stick to those. As a point of disclosure, I have 3 bottles of Mansinthe, and 2 bottles of the prototype sitting in my basement. But I won't be buying any more.

I won't be buying anymore either Shabba, variety is the spice of life, but the point of this thread was which absinthe would be a good starter bottle, and mansinthe is good for starts, end of story, douchebag manson or not.

I hope I wasn't contextualizing your words, I apologize if this was the case.

You know... you could send those 5 bottles of mansinthe my way if you simply couldn't bear to drink them? I would only be too happy to take that bullet for you ;)

I'll pay for shiping????

Well, you don't have to. But I've yet to hear a quote where Manson misinforms about absinthe. If you look at any marketing material about the Mansinthe, I doubt you'll find anything about high-thujone, trippin-ballz or lighting stuff on fire. I rather see Mansinthe as bringing a _decent_ absinthe to those who are _likely_ to have ideas of setting it on fire or it having drug-like effects.