Father time of absinthe

St george Absinthe or Obsello absenta or mansinthe absinthe?

Father Time, read the reviews. Here, and at Fee Verte. Generally, they paint an accurate picture of what to expect from an absinthe. That's how I picked my first absinthes. Pay attention to the reviewer "regulars" and search for their reviews; someone vested in this interest warrants attention.

Pre-forum and reviews, (and intelligence in general), circa 2005 .... I bought Hills absinth for 94 dollars. I learned to do my homework the hard way. There's a lot of expensive Scope out there with the word "absinthe" on the bottle.

I recommend something that louches and contains grande wormwood. That's just me though. :tongue:

Both st george and leopold both contain grande wormwood and both louche... but ok

anywho....

St.George in my opinion is really good,the flavors of the herbs used make it its own and it taste fantastic,i am on my second glass haha

:cheers:

No need to keep score. We are here to help educate. While mansinthe is decent, there are better options out there that don't make those types of claims.

Education is good, so to enjoy Marilyn Manson people need to understand MM. All people see is the shock value, which is intentional. There's actually a layer of depth to what he does. However, people look at him and make quick assumptions - which is the point of the shock, to show how shallow people are.

People also need to differentiate interviews. Some he plays up as part of the shtick (usually for the less credible rags out there), and some he actually will have a level of sincerity to show how ignorant and "quick to judge" people are (those are the ones I prefer to hold on to as being more representative as to who he he is).

Is he Elvis? No. Is he Dylan? No. However, it's ironic to see people who like and defended "controversial" artists but can't accept the fact that there's another similar artist out there that pushes their comfort levels with the sole intention of making people think.

I would say that irony is the root, or inspiration, to what he does. Being offspring from the hippy movement, he also shows that those same hippies are no different than the people they rebelled against - peace and love were facades, and "trying to understand" was complete bullshit.

Tayker, where you been? Give me a call. We've got some things to discuss.

As for MM, I don't mind him at all as an artist. But that still doesn't mean I'll be his absinthe patron. If he and his circle wouldn't play it as a drug, then I'd reconsider.

I think people could easily enjoy MM as a performing artist without understanding him, just as someone could enjoy Pollack without understanding the artist. Understanding the artist may increase the appreciation but you don't have to have one to achieve the other.

I have a perfectly good understanding of MM (both the artist and the salesman). While I respect the artist's talent, I don't necessarily care for much of his art. Understanding MM did nothing to sway my personal feeling for his art one way or the other. I might say the same thing about Edgar Degas.

Regarding the topic at hand, Mansinthe may or may not be a good absinthe. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to separate the Mansinthe from the Manson. I enjoy other Matter products. The two things that irk me are:

As Shabba pointed out, I will not support anyone that sells their product with drug hype. Period.

The thought of a celebrity producing absinthe without sincere regard for the beverage and its history kind of pisses me off, too. It's like the drink has become part of his PR team creating more publicity and adding to the bad-boy image. I prefer not to buy into that. But that's just me. :cheers:

Tayker, where you been? Give me a call. We've got some things to discuss.

As for MM, I don't mind him at all as an artist. But that still doesn't mean I'll be his absinthe patron. If he and his circle wouldn't play it as a drug, then I'd reconsider.

It'll have to be in Feb. I just completed a 5 network infrastructure overhaul, and I have a Tampa trip looming which is relative to that network overhaul. I'm hoping everything will be complete by the end of January. : fingers crossed :

Manson holds the same contempt for his ignorant fans that he does for the ignorant people that write him off because of his shtick.

In interviews that I consider worthwhile, he doesn't portray absinthe as a drug, but he does talk up the overall romanticism - which I've read about on here and as sales pitches for respected products. If people can't separate the real from the image intended to keep him being discussed and in business (which I consider brilliant marketing) then they've just become part of the hype machine. To be honest, I consider the term "green fairy" somewhat a drug reference, which is what people are pinging Manson for, so I don't understand the dichotomy.

Regardless, I know I don't let Bob Dylan's crappy XM show keep me from being a subscriber, or a listener of that channel - that merger has me pretty peeved though. So if people don't want to try Mansinthe for the "drug hype" then they've become victim of his hype machine.

For me, and hype aside, I can understand the color can be off putting, but I would put Mansinthe up there with the Duplais verte - which is one of my favorites. I also know that my tastes are different from than the norm here.

Manson holds the same contempt for his ignorant fans that he does for the ignorant people that write him off because of his shtick.

Ah. Nice to know he doesn't hold me in contempt. Certainly, the feeling is mutual. :cheers:

Shabbs, I can understand why as an absintheur you would neglect admonishing MM; he plays up its allure and drug-like qualities. Part of his gimmick is to play up that stuff, obviously to shock people.

But again, he nowhere says that it will make you hallucinate or that you will trip balls. In one interview he likened secondaries to lucid dreams; I'd have to agree.

Lastly, nothing he has said has hurt absinthe's name. In fact, it would not be a leap to say that he has given what little attention he could to absinthe; absinthe NEEDS attention like this, especially in america, because its such a pricey and unique product that most people begin with a sad departure with czechsinth. And this departure is not really such, because it ends there, with crappy absinthe. MM at least had the sense to contact Matter and produce and authentic, drinkable product.

Probably not absinthe's spokesman or posterboy, but mansinthe is good, and manson, IMO, hasn't really spread lies or misinformation.

*cough* KOSG!!! *cough*

He's just not the kind of guy who keeps quiet about secondaries, and neither were the artists in absinthe's hey-day, wouldn't you agree?

Berating manson would be like berating Hemmingway and those others who spoke of the green fairy in such a way.

A poster boy? He'd get flushed faster than JMFranc. He has no love of absinthe but only the image to help him sell his wares. Mansinthe is there only to maintain the Eeee-vil image of another aging rocker.

There was this thread.

Demonstrating his in depth knowledge about all things liquor, here.

The first time I drank it was in New Orleans, in 1996, when I was making Antichrist Superstar. It was very undistilled, similar to moonshine.

Manson wanted to make it as strong as it could possibly be, so it’s got the highest amount of wormwood that you can have legally. One shot of it, and you’re out for the night. Three shots of it, you’re dead.
from here.

And it goes on and on and on...

I don't mind his music and some of his videos are really quite impressive but his understanding of his absinthe (or any other) is nil. He has done damage to absinthe's integrity evidenced through the "shots" by young dumbasses and the immediate dismissal by anyone that thinks, "Ah, Absinthe...that's the crap Manson shills. No thanks."

He should stick to rock n roll.

Father Time, read the reviews. Here, and at Fee Verte. Generally, they paint an accurate picture of what to expect from an absinthe. .. There's a lot of expensive Scope out there with the word "absinthe" on the bottle.

Good post, Smiley, but man, your new avatar is freakin' me out! What happened to the cat with the knife?

Turning to the subject of Marylin Manson, his ironic high-jinks and their shock value, and absinthe, I have the following thoughts:

Shallow though I am, I honestly do not write Manson off based solely on his image. I just think the music sucks. Of course, I'm not much of a metal fan (not since Steppenwolf, anyway), so perhaps much of the art is lost on me to begin with. However, our fellow Wormwood Society member Peridot has introduced me to metal of a more recent vintage which I did enjoy, so I flatter myself that I'm not utterly closed-minded.

I find a lot of Manson's antics annoyingly pretentious, as I've noted before, but that's a minor gripe I'll admit.

I do not believe Manson's references to absinthe's purported drug-like effects (and these references cannot be brushed aside simply by asserting that some interviews don't count) do the spirit any good whatsoever. As I see it, such references can only give ammunition to the unscrupulous marketers (especially in the Czech Republic) who sell thujone to the gullible. And they also give ammunition to modern-day Puritans who (count on it) will attempt to get the spirit banned again. Absinthe's future lies in its taking its rightful place in the mainstream spirits market.

Personally, I'm highly skeptical of absinthe's purported "secondaries." Other than numbing the tongue from time to time, and perhaps having mild stimulant properties, the drink behaves much like any other spirit, in my experience. It's just tastier (plus the lava-lamp effect is cool). Of course, many do claim "secondaries" are real. Perhaps this is a matter of differences in individual responses, but I'd like to see some empirical studies done to determine whether something akin to the placebo effect is at work here. For now, I remain open to the possibility of secondaries but nevertheless highly skeptical.

Okay, end of rant (for now). :)

Guys, I DO get it. Manson doesn't know shit about absinthe; his favourite brand is La Fee for chrissakes!! But he NEVER said it would make you hallucinate. He plays up secondaries because he thinks he's an "artistic" individual, and because he likes to shock america.

As for this quote: "Manson wanted to make it as strong as it could possibly be, so it’s got the highest amount of wormwood that you can have legally. One shot of it, and you’re out for the night. Three shots of it, you’re dead."

This quote was from evan rachel wood, not manson.

And again, guys, these quotes, though ignorant, are not wrong and do not hype thujone or ballz trippin. Everything he said COULD be said of others, even the poets and artists of the Belle Epoque, yet because manson's a douchebag, we rag on him.

Prove me wrong; show me exactly where manson says something WRONG.

Yes manson is an idiot; I still don't think he's done anything wrong.

your new avatar is freakin' me out!

Captain Kirk is BOSS. I'm a big trekkie, but only for the original star trek.

Personally, I'm highly skeptical of absinthe's purported "secondaries."

I'm not sure how much this will mean to the rest of you, but you have Smiley's word that there are secondaries. Its stronger with some brands, and I doubt that wormwood has much to do with it. It feels as if I am very much awake and alert and lucid; there is no hallucination, but rather an enhanced appreciation for otherwise mundane objects. Also, I find my thoughts very ordered and crisp, and I am able to articulate myself quite easily when drunk on absinthe. That is the best I can describe it. The feeling evades description, and is quite elusive. This feeling lasts for 45 minutes usually, and absinthe keeps me awake, while beer or vodka would put me to sleep. I find that I have quite vivid dreams whenever I drink absinthe as well.

It is possible that secondaries are subjective, and even that some people may not feel them at all, this would explain such resistance to the idea.

Make of this what you will.

our fellow Wormwood Society member Peridot has introduced me to metal of a more recent vintage which I did enjoy, so I flatter myself that I'm not utterly closed-minded.

Marlow, I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy metal! Many people are turned off metal because it is so culturally ... progressed, (I guess it is best to say), that it bears little resemlence to music at all. Nevertheless, metal, GOOD metal, is as impressive and epic as classical music.

Check these guys out:

Their masterful technical precision and raw riffs make manson look like a baby. Its all about atmosphere, and no one does it better than Immortal.

Lest we forget before Manson discovered La Pee, he was drinking Green Powerade and pretending it to be absinthe. Nothing what that scumbag said could be attributed to words of artists and poets of Belle Epoque. I would even make a very harsh comparison. Take Lautrec, van Gogh, Desbouttin, Bruant, whoever, how does Mr Wanker equal to their genius? Where his pretentious, childish, trendy twatness is to be considered artistry? Moreover, he is not even a true devoted alcoholic :devil:

Did Lautrec care for secondaries? Definitely, not. AFAIK he cared only to drink others under the table, Vincent needed just energy (the combination of alcohol and caffeine provides) to paint in the harsh sun of Arles, the others were drinking absinthe just for pleasure and fun. Poets were waxing rhapsodically about all kinds of alcohol (have you read Robert Burns?-he is tripping ballz on Scotch whisky in many of his works, oh snap!) as well as on wine (starting with ancient Greeks) and beer. But they were poets for poetry's sake.

Agreed, Boggy. There is no comparison between Manson and the artists of the Belle Epoque. Well, maybe Lautrec. ;)

Look, I don't dislike Manson or his music. I dislike him using absinthe's myths to forward his own evil image. It flies in the face of what WS is about: education.

And it does irk me when the little rich rocker who doesn't know shit or care a rat's ass about absinthe can get his stuff all over the place but our own absinthe experts are busting their asses (and putting their financial future at risk) for something they love. That's just business and I recognize that. I'm not trying to motivate everyone to boycott Manson. I'm just saying for me, "No, I will not perpetuate that image."

'Kay. Right here.

It gets you strange—it’s an opiate sort of thing, which is what makes it kind of like Jäger. It’s not the alcohol; it’s the other element, wormwood, which is in the Bible. God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins. So it’s gotta be good! [Laughs] Wormwood, when you distill it, makes this thing called thujone; it’s like the equivalent of THC in marijuana.

Tell me one thing that's right about that quote.

After a lot of speculation and old interviews, some recent facts:

It should be specifically noted that since Mansinthe has been released in the USA, Manson has done virtually nothing to promote it (or even mention it) himself, either positive or negative.

There is nothing in any of the US sales material that promotes drug-like aspects which could be attributed to Mansinthe, and sales people are specifically taught to explain the history of absinthe, how Manson got involved and the quality of the absinthe itself.

Manson had an art gallery show in Miami, where during the opening reception, Mansinthe was served and Mason paid no attention to it whatsoever. There was an absinthe expert on hand to answer questions and dispel myths surrounding absinthe, but the event, which could also be considered the first public US launch of Mansinthe, was specifically devoted to and focused on Manson's paintings:

http://eventphotoblog.blogspot.com/2008/12...ip-opening.html

Mansinthe was served ONLY by traditional drip, with spoon and sugar, prepared in Pontarlier glasses.

Some people got pissed because with the drip, it took too long to prepare.

No one pretended to trip from drinking it, most liked it.

No flame approached anywhere near the absinthe, either there, or at the Louis bar in South Beach, where the after-show party was held. The 'bartenders' (who seemed better dressed and mentally suited to be strip club pole-dancers), were taught two nights in a row how to prepare absinthe by traditional drip, but the process was too difficult for their little minds and thus the Mansinthe was prepared in bulk by traditional drip and then stocked and served from carafes.

Manson’s table had a four spigot antique fountain repro and Pontarlier glasses and branded leaf spoons.

No matches.

Manson’s favorite absinthe was Serpis, not la Fée.

I think I was the one who touched off this discussion way up thread by saying that I have avoided Manson's product largely due to my sense that Marylin is a...tiresome sort of person. Thus, I feel I should remind Manson's supporters that WS has not in fact campaigned against Mansinthe in any way. The product is up on the review pages, the reviews are there, etc. Most of WS's energies go into unmasking bogus "absinthes" and debunking foolish rumors.

The fact remains, however, that a lot of folks here, while grateful that Manson is apparently keeping his matches in his pockets, are nonetheless leery of, or even repulsed by, his remarks about absinthe as an "opiate" or whatever.

Be all that as it may, by all means, drink Mansinthe if you enjoy it! Remember, though, that with options out there like the Roquette, the 1901, the VP, etc, it's not likely that anyone is in any way cheating himself by not drinking it. To be sure, if someone gave me a bottle of Mansinthe, I might enjoy the taste of it, but that enjoyment would inevitably be leavened with an undertone of irksomeness, because, well, it's Mansinthe! I'm already annoyed by enough things that I don't need to drop 60 odd bones on something new.

From Smiley:

Marlow, I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy metal! ... Nevertheless, metal, GOOD metal, is as impressive and epic as classical music.

Don't get carried away. ;) I did enjoy a couple songs Peridot pointed out to me, and I don't utterly condemn the genre, but that said I wouldn't cross the street to listen to a modern-day metal performance. Give me a Delius violin sonata any time...

I will check out the link though.

Seriously, though, just to satisfy my curiosity, what was the image in your old avatar?

Manson’s favorite absinthe was Serpis, not la Fée.

http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/content/view/33/52/

http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/content/view/66/88/

Also, it was only you, Peter who claimed he drinks it:

We began with Serpis, whose name and vivid red color evoked something dramatic and medicinal “This is what Marilyn Manson drinks,” Schaf said.

http://www.seborabsinth.com/chronicles/abs...ker-03-2006.asp

If he had Serpis a few times, agreed, but his constant absinth was La Pee after his contract with Powerade expired.

Check these guys out:

Their masterful technical precision and raw riffs make manson look like a baby. Its all about atmosphere, and no one does it better than Immortal.

I'm going to have to take your word for it. This was a little too metal for me...oh, well.

Still, for a moment there I was having flashbacks to this. I guess there really is nothing new under the sun....

If he had Serpis a few times, agreed, but his constant absinth was La Pee after his contract with Powerade expired.

Also, it was only you, Peter who claimed he drinks it

I know what I know about it from direct sources and personal experience...choose your own reality.

Boggy, no offense, but La Fee and Sebor don't have the most truthful advertising and marketing arm. I wouldn't trust anything on either of their sites. Over the past two years or so, I've seen so many blatant mistruths and outright lies listed on the La Fee website, I can't even count them all.

This quote was from evan rachel wood, not manson.

And you don't think they work together on what to promote and how to do so?

And again, guys, these quotes, though ignorant, are not wrong and do not hype thujone or ballz trippin.

Already did. Several times.

I'm not sure how much this will mean to the rest of you, but you have Smiley's word that there are secondaries.
Of course there are. You get the same effect with a lot of other herbal liquors and teas. So what? You keep making it seem like we are all in denial of absinthe's secondaries. We're not.

You keep making it seem like we are all in denial of absinthe's secondaries. We're not.

Well, I am. :closedeyes:

Russian tea, though, that's a drink with secondaries! :devil:

And you don't think they work together on what to promote and how to do so?

Valid point, but they're also not seeing each other any more.

However, Twiggy is back in the band, and supposedly Wes Borland is the new guitarist - probably the only Limp Bizkit member I liked.

That interview below is the only proof of Manson drinking Serpis, noteworthy is the traditional absinthe glass :thumbdown: what proves what a 'great' absintheur Manson is.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=StuMJcw01T4

What offends me, Brian, is that Peter is trying to give that persona a credit despite the fact he has been giving absinthe bad reputation ever since and rebuilding the myths of drug-like allure of absinthe not only while pretending to drink it but during the launch of his own brand.

I personally do not give a flying fuck what he drinks, let it be distilled cow's shit, if that be trendy one day and feeds Mason's ego, but as an absintheur I am offended by his behaviour, his attempts at destroying the years of absinthe education we all should be in favour, and his poseurism, and his so-called art, better defined as "lack of any talent" Hey, wait. He is good at shocking people and the media, so one tiny talent he possesses.