Father time of absinthe

St george Absinthe or Obsello absenta or mansinthe absinthe?

I don't know whether Manson actually used the expression "trip balls," but I suspect Shabba was paraphrasing. I think it is true that Manson has at times played up the "dangerous" aspects of absinthe drinking. There was a recent(ish) thread on this topic, and the article in question is still on line.

Here's a relevant quote:

"but absinthe is not an alcohol thing. It gets you strange—it’s an opiate sort of thing,"

Less objectionable than the out-right thujone hype of the Czech marketers, perhaps, but still objectionable to some.

[EDIT] Whoops! I see that others have already weighed in...but the older thread is worth a look, regardless.

Come now Smiley. This isn't the first time you've lept before you looked. I wouldn't have formed that opinion without seeing numerous quote about it, would I?

Regardless of whether it's a good absinthe or not, if it's namesake talks about it like it's a drug, I won't give him my money. It hurts the absinthe industry by furthering the hype.

I agree, i don't support fakes :thumbdown:

but i think i will just get leopold

Leopold's.

Seriously

What we said. :cheers:

That rumminess from the Pisco base is almost begging to be turned into a Suisesse...but, not quite, he thinks, remembering the Jade experiment. :twitchsmile: ;)

St George

Mansinthe or

Obsello?

Leopold's.

Seriously

But Mansinthe will do in a pinch, I suppose.

to answer your question, Mansinthe.

But in the Real World, what Absomphe said. I'm gonna have some Leopold within the Hour.

My issue with Manson is the lack of originality. Iggy and Alice covered those bases when he was in diapers, and should be getting regular royalty checks from Manson with a note saying "thanks for the Career, guys."

Marlow, the ;) in your posts here screams through loud and clear, if you wanted to know!

<sigh> That must be why nobody takes me seriously.

I need a new emoticon...I know!

:euro:

Say, that's a mighty nice emoticon you got thar :fork: :twitchsmile: :fork: .

Leopold's kicks ass!!!

That rumminess from the Pisco base is almost begging to be turned into a Suisesse...

I think the rumminess makes it really freakin' tasty in a Tremblement de Terre. Even with mediocre cognac such as Henessy VS, it's nice and butterscotchy. I'll bet with a nicer cognac it's even...uh, buttescotchier!

Oh...what if one tried a Leo Bros. Tremblement with rum instead of brandy? Good thing I have no rum, or I'd be finding out right now.

I've not tried Mansithe (and don't really plan to if I have to pay for it) but between Obsello and George, I'd get Obsello unless you like herbal, then go with the George. I love them both. I just wish St George didnt look like dirty dishwater when it's louched. It not so purty.

I'm most anxious to try Leopold....;

Oh...what if one tried a Leo Bros. Tremblement with rum instead of brandy? Good thing I have no rum, or I'd be finding out right now.

Sounds like an interesting experiment, GB...I believe, if I had any rum on hand, I'd be doing the same.

BevMo does carry, but if you can't order any except by paying for shipping, then I for one recommend DrinkUPNY. If you're prepared to make a $99+ purchase, shipping is free. You could pick a bottle of Leo. Bros. and a bottle of Clandestine, Vieux Pontarlier, Obsello, Mansinthe, OR St. George to qualify :devil: (or any other combo of items, of course).

If you don't wanna go that route, you might want to compare BevMo prices and shipping with John Walker (bay area), who also stocks Leopold Bros.

Sorry if that didn't completely answer the question, but I hope it helps.

The other two I have not tried, but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.

I was, in my teens, and still am, a BIG manson fan. And I'll also be the first to say that he's quite full of himself, and a bit of a douchebag when it comes to activities that don't involve music.

But, celebrity? He hasn't done anything worthwhile in years. He's just an old playboy now.

I'm a big Manson fan as well, but I can understand the narrow-minded outlook because I have the same outlook for the monotoned over-rated stylings of Bob Dylan (who's always serious, and all his songs sound the same), Bruce Springsteen (I think yelling in music sounds better with punk), and Kurt Cobain (I can't have pity for someone who wanted something so bad and then rebelled against it ... he was a big loser).

Flip-side is, I came away with my opinions after listening to them and reading interviews.

I like Mansinthe, although the green can be off putting for some.

Kurt Cobain (I can't have pity for someone who wanted something so bad and then rebelled against it ... he was a big loser).

Though perhaps not quite as hapless as Pete Best....

Well, I guess manson did say some pretty ignorant things about absinthe, although it is a big leap to say that he "hypes" it, because I've read other texts where is a bit more educated, and it should be noted that he nowhere can be stated as saying that absinthe makes you hallucinate; he probably shouldn't be talking about secondaries at all, but they are there. And that bit about "thujone kool-aid" ... ugh ..., while bad for absinthe's rep in general, is characteristic of a narcissistic guy like manson. Still, mansinthe is a decent pick for americans right now, and manson's ignorant fan-base will help spread more ignorance which in turn will end up here, whereupon distinguished folk like us will be happy to bestow some much-needed schooling.

Shabba - 2

Smiley - 0

:)

Kurt Cobain (I can't have pity for someone who wanted something so bad and then rebelled against it ... he was a big loser).

Tayker, I always felt sorry for Cobain. He was conflicted and weak and had bad taste in women. Its so funny that Teen Spirit was their most famous song; it was a misanthropic stab at its very fan-base. It could be said of his character that he was at least aware of this hypocrisy and that he was full of self-loathing?

Good call, Father time. Leopold Bros. is nice and very floral, one of the best one can buy. St. George is definitely different, but I tried it for the first time recently and thought it was pretty good tasting in its own way. Hope you enjoy! :cheers: