Father time of absinthe

St george Absinthe or Obsello absenta or mansinthe absinthe?

So i am interested in these 3 and yes i have read the reviews ..... but i am a finicky person and don't really know what brand to get.

I would like to try all 3 but that would be a waste of money on my part,so what does everyone think

St George

Mansinthe or

Obsello?

I am sticking close to home and going to a bevmo once again,all help is appreciated and Happy holidays :cheers:

Boy, of those three, I'd probably go for the Mansinthe. I have a bottle of Obsello, and right now it's not on my faves list, a bit too spicy and vegetal for my taste.

I've not had the St. George, but everyone seems to say it's one that you're gonna have an extreme reaction to, either love it or hate it. From what I read, it doesn't feature the traditional flavors expected in absinthe (basil? WTF?), so I'd probably wait to see if anyone is willing to send you a sample of it before spending $80+ on a full bottle.

Just make sure you avoid the Le Tourment Verte that BevMo is always pushing. It blows.

I'm not really sure what can be learned in a thread like this that one could not glean from the review pages, but for what it's worth, I think Obsello is a good choice. It's not the best absinthe I've had by any means, but like Makers Mark bourbon, it's a good quality for a very reasonable price. The other two I have not tried, but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.

I've tried and still have some St. George and Obsello. Of those two I prefer the Obsello.

but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.
I'm with Marlow on that. *shrug*

The review section will guide you well. You could also find the "what's your favorite top ten" thread.

Good luck!

The other two I have not tried, but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.

I was, in my teens, and still am, a BIG manson fan. And I'll also be the first to say that he's quite full of himself, and a bit of a douchebag when it comes to activities that don't involve music.

But, celebrity? He hasn't done anything worthwhile in years. He's just an old playboy now.

I'm waiting for his phantasmagoria: visions of lewis carrol movie to come out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagori...f_Lewis_Carroll

That said, why would you avoid mansinthe? Its good. And although it caters to the same crowd that LTV and La Fee do, its authentic, traditional, and GOOD. Absinthe could, can, and does use his name, and it isn't hurting.

I don't like my mother, but I'll eat what she cooks, 'cause its damn good.

I hate that manson gets a bad rep because he is visually shocking to some people. More than a decade ago, he had half the teenagers in america under his sway, and the other half were christians who were so angry at him because they could do nothing about it. Now because he's old news, the same fan base is laughing at him.

Well, thats america for you.

That said, why would you avoid mansinthe? Its good.

I believe you, but there are plenty of other good absinthes out there. I doubt I'm missing anything crucial by indulging myself on this point.

I hate that manson gets a bad rep because he is visually shocking to some people.

For my part, it isn't that Manson is particularly shocking. I just think he's pretentious. <shrug> To each his own. I'll stick to my Jades, Roquettes, etc.

Oh, and I would argue that, has-been or otherwise, Manson is a celebrity, which is to say he's well known for being well known.

Both Obsello and Mansinthe are a good value for what they charge you at BevMo, honestly I'd suggest getting both and drinking them slowly. You'll find that nearly all absinthes improve after being open for a couple weeks, so instead of drinking one a time it can be advantageous to buy a few bottles, and slowly drink all of them.

St. George is very unusual. It has some interesting flavors, but could be described as a little over the top. I bought some back when there were only a couple absinthes available domestically, but now that there are other options, I don't think it's worth the $75 they usually ask for it.

I'm not really sure what can be learned in a thread like this that one could not glean from the review pages, but for what it's worth, I think Obsello is a good choice. It's not the best absinthe I've had by any means, but like Makers Mark bourbon, it's a good quality for a very reasonable price. The other two I have not tried, but I'll confess to having avoided the Mansinthe in part because I find Manson's celebrity somewhat annoying.

What can't be learned is you have experience members giving there input, sure you can read all the reviews but everyone's opinion is different.

Doing it in this manner gives you two advantages over reading the reviews.

1. Your chances of picking up a wrong bottle of horrible absinthe have now become dramatically less.

2. If you limit the choice of absinthe you see what everyone would go with.

At least that is how i feel. :cheers:

I've had two out of the three choices and I'd recommend Mansinthe. I surprisingly like it a lot more than I ever expected to. The Obsello is good, but has 'minty' taste I don't care for.

Doing it in this manner gives you two advantages over reading the reviews.

1. Your chances of picking up a wrong bottle of horrible absinthe have now become dramatically less.

2. If you limit the choice of absinthe you see what everyone would go with.

Don't get me wrong...I have no objection to this thread. However, based on the input so far, it seems to me that what we've learned is that "everyone" would go with either Obsello, Mansinthe, or St. George (or not St. George). ;)

That said, I agree you are more or less safe from picking up something genuinely horrible, whether you post a thread or read the reviews. Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers.

I heard the color of mansinthe isn't normal,does anyone know if they use artificial color or anything?

A common question surrounding Matter's products. I'm not convinced there's any merit to it.

Oh, and I would argue that, has-been or otherwise, Manson is a celebrity, which is to say he's well known for being well known.

Which hardly allows him to lay claim of being an absinthe expert, merely the money to commission someone else to do his work for him. That's pure conjecture on my part. I have no quibbles with him as a performing artist.

I'd say pick up the Obsello before the other two. I prefer to stay away from St. George until you've come to understand what traditional absinthe should taste like, and I prefer to stay away from Mansinthe strictly on principal. He's repeatedly stated how many times he's tripped ballz while drinking absinthe, which doesn't help to further the education of the masses. It's a decent absinthe, but that's beside the point. If his fans are buying it because they think they'll get high, then I'm not going to support that marketing.

That said, Markus and the Matter distillery haven't reenforced that notion at all, so I hold no grudges towards them one bit. Just towards the namesake.

As to the color issue, I'm curious about how the Matter distillery gets their absinthe to stay green, but I'm not questioning his trustworthiness. He's mentioned several times that it's a natural coloration, and I see no reason why I should distrust him.

I heard the color of mansinthe isn't normal,does anyone know if they use artificial color or anything?

It failed the sun experiment some time ago in Florida, so despite anything that is said, the proof is there.

It is, however, to choose one that you would for sure like as it is your preference and your taste. Thus, from these three, if I were you, I would get Leopold :devil:

Looking at the link again, as an introductory absinthe that would be a decent choice:

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&am...167279!1960

Ooh, if you can get the Duplais from the same site, I'd hit up that and the Obsello as my top two picks. If Leopold is also available, add that to the top of the list, which is where it should be.

I do know what a traditional absinthe should taste like,however i am also not afraid to try a new absinthe.

I am currently still drinking 1905 absinthe pernod fils. My other stock includes duplais,Kübler.

I still want to get a couple more bottles to fill up empty space in my cellar thus this thread

Well, now it seems that out of St. George, Mansinthe, and Obsello, the choices are Obsello, Mansinthe, St. George, not St. George, Duplais, and Leopold, which demonstrates once again that any given group of N absintheurs will have approximately N+3 opinions on any given subject. :cheers:

It failed the sun experiment some time ago in Florida, so despite anything that is said, the proof is there.

The proof is that it stays green. ;)

The color I saw of the Mansinthe was not (to my mind) a traditional natural color. It wasn't clearly artificial, it was just far too bluish.

I'm sure there are a number of ways of improving the stability of the color that would be called natural under every definition.

My bottle of Jade Edouard from Feb 2006 never went feuille morte in the two years I took to drink the bottle. It got a little lighter, but it didn't shift hue.

Well, now it seems that out of St. George, Mansinthe, and Obsello, the choices are Obsello, Mansinthe, St. George, not St. George, Duplais, and Leopold, which demonstrates once again that any given group of N absintheurs will have approximately N+3 opinions on any given subject. :cheers:

Marlow, the ;) in your posts here screams through loud and clear, if you wanted to know!

I prefer to stay away from Mansinthe strictly on principal. He's repeatedly stated how many times he's tripped ballz while drinking absinthe, which doesn't help to further the education of the masses. It's a decent absinthe, but that's beside the point. If his fans are buying it because they think they'll get high, then I'm not going to support that marketing.

Contextualization, conjecture, and ... not true, Shabba. Manson never said anywhere that he "trips balls". In fact, he's a genuine artist, (his art isn't great), but he appreciates absinthe and the belle epoque. If you can find data anywhere to back up this claim of manson getting "high" off absinthe, I'd like to see it. Yes, he talks about secondaries, but I believe he said something like "absinthe doesn't make me drunk, it keeps me awake." This is far from thujone hype, and what you call "repeatedly stated how many times he's tripped ballz while drinking absinthe". Manson went out of his way to go to a reputable distiller like Matter and make sure mansinthe was at the very least a quality authentic product, and is probably one of the better offerings in the US right now.

It's a decent absinthe, but that's beside the point.

What other point is there, Shabba? Its decent, but what?

Oh, yes he did:

http://www.revolvermag.com/content/marilyn-manson-and-slayer

MANSON No, I don’t mean I don’t try to get drunk, but absinthe is not an alcohol thing. It gets you strange—it’s an opiate sort of thing, which is what makes it kind of like Jäger. It’s not the alcohol; it’s the other element, wormwood, which is in the Bible. God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins. So it’s gotta be good! [Laughs] Wormwood, when you distill it, makes this thing called thujone; it’s like the equivalent of THC in marijuana. I have a guy who sends it to me in a dropper; I can put it in Kool-Aid—you don’t even need the alcohol.

What other point is there, Shabba? Its decent, but what?

You just quoted the point.

If his fans are buying it because they think they'll get high, then I'm not going to support that marketing.

'Nuff said.

Come now Smiley. This isn't the first time you've made an unfounded accusation. I wouldn't have formed that opinion without seeing numerous quote about it, would I?

Regardless of whether it's a good absinthe or not, if it's namesake talks about it like it's a drug, I won't give him my money. It hurts the absinthe industry by furthering the hype.