Sign in to follow this  
Bob Tessier

Pontarlier replica problem

I purchased two of these glasses from one of the best known vendors in the business a few weeks ago, and I am having a problem: even with the most careful handling and washing, many microscopic scratches have appeared on the surface of the glass. It's like the glass being used is soft, it scratches with the lightest touch. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have contacted the vendor and not yet received a response. Hopefully someone can suggest: 1. A way to wash them so they don't scratch any more, and: 2. A way to restore the glass surface.

Are you sure the glass itself is scratched? If you have any hard water film on it can look like it is scratched if there are marks on the on film. If it is glass it should not scratch that easily. Sounds crazy, but it couldn't be a heavy acrylic or something could it?

What are you using to wash them with? Hand-blown glass is often pretty soft and will scratch if you use an abrasive sponge.

Keep in mind, it's holiday season and retailers are pulling their hair out right now; if it's a reputable dealer, you get a response soon, I'm sure.

Thanks for the responses, Doctor and Hiram. They are real glass, not acrylic or anything similar. I thought about the hard water idea, but some of the scratches are big enough to be obvious and they don't change direction with wiping or polishing. The washing materials are hot, soapy water and a clean washcloth, followed by hot water rinse and drying with towels that are decades old and soft. No abrasives at all. I have worked with telescope optics for many years and am very careful with glass that I want to keep perfect.

The vendor is the one linked at Oxy's site, I believe they refer to themselves as Absinthe Frenchman. My concern in no way is meant to comment negatively on the company, I got very good service and am otherwise very happy with the products, which include a fountain and spoons. If there is something I need to do differently with the glasses I hope to learn what it is.

Thanks again.

I second thegreenimp's observation. I try to keep my glasses in a dust free environment (so that I can use them at a moment's notice), but after a bit they seem to need a wash regardless.

The only scratches I've noticed are at the bottom where I've stirred the sugar, but those are treasured battle scars! :cheers:

Be kind to your glasses and the blemishes will just become character. We all love a crystal clear glass but a well used glass is like an old friend. JMO

Ok I see my response last night disappeared somewhere.

My suggestion is to handwash using very gentle soap suds and to rinse any residue off the glasses and rinse them in vinegar and let them air dry. Vinegar will make the glass sparkle niclely and remove any surface oils.

Glass and Crystal restoration is very difficult and the results vary greatly and depends on the materials used to make the glass, the thiness of the glass and other variables.

Keep in mind that even a regualr sponge can be abrasive on some surfaces.

Handle and treat the glasses like they are Crystal.

Do Not machine wash.

No dishwasher soap.

No bleach containg products.

Light soap suds.

Rinse well.

Vinegar rinse.

Air dry.

Hope this helps.

I've often wondered what kind of glass was used in the replica Pontarlier glasses, they tend to develop an oily film when they sit in the cabinet for an extended period.

I have a few of those. There may be some still floating around, but they changed glass a year or two ago and as far as I know, all the ones being sold now should be normal.

I've often wondered what kind of glass was used in the replica Pontarlier glasses, they tend to develop an oily film when they sit in the cabinet for an extended period.

I have a few of those. There may be some still floating around, but they changed glass a year or two ago and as far as I know, all the ones being sold now should be normal.

Shows how it's been since I've bought a repro glass, I usually use one of those dusty old ones I have sitting around the house. :pirate:

unwrapped72dpicopy.jpg

Just an update: Oxy emailed me and said he would arrange for replacements. I am SO impressed with the service from him and his organization. Guarantees repeat business from me, that is for sure. :thumbup: