Sign in to follow this  
Clark

Green Fairy Absinth? (Mexico)

A friend of mine picked me up a bottle of this when he was in Mexico recently. I did a search, but did not come across a review of this. By the looks of it, it seems to be a "true" absinthe. Their website indicates that it is made from artemesia absinthium. Anyone had this before that can comment on it?

Zowie! There's a lot of neon green on that website!

OK, a couple of things, Clark.

First, Welcome to the Wormwood Society. When you have a chance, Go here so we can give you a proper welcome.

The little cute fairy in the upper left-hand corner is the same gif. that was in the first absinth(e) I ever tried, Czech Absinth Strong. It was dreck. I dunno about this Mexican stuff. They talk sort of a good game but the "Green Fairy Mix" is a major red (er, green?) flag.

You know there are legal and good choices available in the US now, doncha? Kick back, do a little reading and have fun here. :cheers:

I used to think I really hated "The Sound of Music."

The website linked above has removed all doubt.

As for the product, I find I share T73's skepticism, for whatever that's worth.

A friend of mine picked me up a bottle of this when he was in Mexico recently. I did a search, but did not come across a review of this. By the looks of it, it seems to be a "true" absinthe. Their website indicates that it is made from artemesia absinthium. Anyone had this before that can comment on it?

Wow, Clark. I started to go through the website, making notes of all the misinformation, inconsistencies, puerile innuendo, and just plain cheesy marketing, and thought "Why am I doing this?" Instead, I'd like to direct you to this website, because this is what real absinthe and a class act looks like. Please, listen to these other guys here, as well. Absinthe is the most fascinating beverage I have tried in years (and I have tried a few, and I have some years), but the likes of Absinthe Mexico would NOT be where I would advise anyone to start.

Reading this website thoroughly WOULD be a good place to start.

"High quality absinthes are always distilled rather than produced from herbal essences..."

"Since 1994, Absinth México elaborates the liquor using the most strict standards of quality, because original material (essences, herbs and 100% natural mixtures)..."

That is the silliest and most cheesy absinthe ... "commercial" I have ever seen. I enjoyed it. And the site couldn't resist sneaking in that Wilde quote. Definately a red flag; at best it is going to be crapsinthe.

And what are those silly little bottles with caps, absinthe vex? Looks more like an absinthe cooler to me.

My favourite part of the site:

"Indeed, for certain Impressionists painters, a shot was as essential as the paintbrush and canvas."

Anyone else ready to trip some ballz and get "creative"??

Jeez, I have to rely on myself for inspiration sometimes....

That is the silliest and most cheesy absinthe ... "commercial" I have ever seen. I enjoyed it.

Me too, if I didn't think the uninformed would take it seriously.

"Indeed, for certain Impressionists painters, a shot was as essential as the paintbrush and canvas."

Anyone else ready to trip some ballz and get "creative"??

Oh, my achin' ballz!

I think this product is actually Czech Strong, because the name of the actual product appears to be "Strong Absinth Mexico" (a close read of the label reveals the Strong moniker).

I am intrigued by the concept of prepared absinthe in a bottle, like the Absinthe Mix that they sell. I doubt that this one will be any good, but it's quite a marketing gimmick.

How about a double container that you can pull the pin and louche away, mobile like! Kind of like that bomb in "Die Hard With A Vengeance". That way it's not just all ready... you get a little entertainment. I think this could work... no khidding. BTW, will PM you with the address to send royalties if you get this working!

Hi Clark! Thanks for stopping by!

I find it interesting that the site did have some at least semi-accurate info mixed in with the B.S. But recommending the fire ritual pretty much guarantees it's not good. We have this :no-czechs3: beautiful animated emoticon for a reason ;) .

However, I'm morbidly curious. Just my 2 cents, but what I'd do in your shoes is go try 3-5 known authentic brands, then come back and try the Absinth Mexico. I'd be curious to see how you rate the stuff then.

How about a double container that you can pull the pin and louche away, mobile like! Kind of like that bomb in "Die Hard With A Vengeance". That way it's not just all ready... you get a little entertainment. I think this could work... no khidding. BTW, will PM you with the address to send royalties if you get this working!

I actually see a three-part bottle - the top holds the water, the middle contains the sugar cube, the bottom holds the absinthe... And we'd need to have a bypass operation for those who don't like their absinthe sugared...

The bottle on the shelf would be particularly top-heavy, with a 3- or 4-1 ratio. And, considering the specific gravity of absinthe is lighter than water, it's even more of an imbalance. But hey, we're smart enough to figure that out... perhaps a wider base for the bottle?

This could work, fingerpickinblue, this could work... ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasnt too sure what to make of the overall website hah. As for the local selection is is pretty much nil where I live (Canada). So this is the best I am going to get for the time being until its gone hah. I have had tried a couple other brands a couple years ago, but I dont remember the brands off hand.

Edited by Clark

I actually see a three-part bottle - the top holds the water, the middle contains the sugar cube, the bottom holds the absinthe... And we'd need to have a bypass operation for those who don't like their absinthe sugared...

The bottle on the shelf would be particularly top-heavy, with a 3- or 4-1 ratio. And, considering the specific gravity of absinthe is lighter than water, it's even more of an imbalance. But hey, we're smart enough to figure that out... perhaps a wider base for the bottle?

This could work, fingerpickinblue, this could work... ;)

Yeah, thought of the sugar thing, too, while I was driving around today. Imbalance?... no problemo. How about a cool package that's merchandised with the water on the bottom (that way the absinthe is up top, with prominence), and on the back side the instructional print is upside down, so when you turn it over to use it, it reads thataway.

I'm thinking "Marteau To Go"!

As for the local selection is is pretty much nil where I live (Canada). So this is the best I am going to get for the time being until its gone hah.

Don't give up hope, Clark. Canada is the home of Taboo. While it has received mixed reviews, no one would argue, it's heads and tails better than anything from Mexico. Other options from Europe have also cracked the Canadian market. Like your neighbors to the south, the absinthe world is just beginning to open up for us. :cheers:

Oh, did you know you're not the only WS member from Regina, the city that rhymes with fun?

As for the local selection is is pretty much nil where I live (Canada). So this is the best I am going to get for the time being until its gone hah.

Don't give up hope, Clark. Canada is the home of Taboo. While it has received mixed reviews, no one would argue, it's heads and tails better than anything from Mexico. Other options from Europe have also cracked the Canadian market. Like your neighbors to the south, the absinthe world is just beginning to open up for us. :cheers:

Oh, did you know you're not the only WS member from Regina, the city that rhymes with fun?

Yeah, now that Ive done some research on the subject, it does look good. This purchase was a whim kinda thing, I said grab me something while you're down there. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah, now that Ive done some research on the subject, it does look good. This purchase was a whim kinda thing, I said grab me something while you're down there. Thanks for all the help!

Well, let us know how it tastes...but in the meantime, the Mexican fairy has been penciled in just below Opuntia bigelovii on my list of things not to grab while south of the border.

;)

This purchase was a whim kinda thing, I said grab me something while you're down there.

All our friends ever get us is tiny plastic Eiffel Tower thermometers.