10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric S.

Eric S.

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Normally I will only smoke during the cold, and today was a brisk 26 degrees, so needless to say I was back on the wagon. Can anyone recommend a really good/tasty RYO tobacco? All the ones I've tried over the past few years have been fair (Bugler gold) to utterly horrible such as Top rolling tobacco.

Also, I like to do blends, such as adding damiana and wormwood to my smoke and it does add a whole new dimension to the flavor profile. But even with the delicious additions, the Bugler is still tasting terrible. :thumbdown:

#2 thetripscaptain

thetripscaptain

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Also, I like to do blends, such as adding damiana and wormwood to my smoke

Another good herbal smoke additive is White Sage (Salvia apiana). Normally used as an incense, but can make a great tasting tea and/or smoke too. One of the teas from The Republic of Tea has White Sage as the base flavor.
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh
Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced. - Terence McKenna
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

#3 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

I always thought Drum nice and mild, but I was a Top and Bugler roller for many, many years. Damn if I haven't been thinking about getting back into the game lately.
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#4 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Also, I like to do blends, such as adding damiana and wormwood to my smoke

Another good herbal smoke additive is White Sage (Salvia apiana). Normally used as an incense, but can make a great tasting tea and/or smoke too. One of the teas from The Republic of Tea has White Sage as the base flavor.

For a wide selection of various herbs, etc., check out www.Azarius.net . (I'd advise you to steer clear of the Salvia Divinorum...)
:twitchsmile:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#5 Abs

Abs

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Out of financial necessity I bought a hand tube machine and have been trying various brands of tobacco. A 6oz. bag of Gambler pipe tobacco (red label) has a good robust taste --- less the 6 or 7 dollar investment into the machine the tobacco and tubes figures up to about $10 a carton.

#6 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Roll yer own, when there's no one listenin'

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#7 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

http://www.rollingpa...cy-Jays-Absinth

#8 Abs

Abs

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'm doing this to save a bit of change - you're probably not --- http://www.peterstok....com/cig_ps.htm --- these go for about $9.00 for a 35 gram bag at your local smoke shop. I've tried 3 or 4 - none of them are bad; all are superior to domestic filtered cigarettes.

#9 ripper911

ripper911

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

I see that this is a slightly older post, but I would like to add this.  I have been rolling my own for a little over a year now, I started with the cheaper brands, then American spirit, then bali shag.  I found some Peter Stokkebye one day and I have never looked back, I buy either the Amsterdam or Norwegian shag in cans and while it does cost more than bugler it is still cheaper than buying manufactured cigarettes, and it tastes much better!

If you are rolling your own cigarettes or even if you smoke commercial cigarettes, you owe it to yourself to try the Stokkebye line.  I prefer the shags!

#10 derhussl

derhussl

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I jsut attended a rolling academy that taught you how to roll your on cigar. Was very interesting not that I can now roll my own I am stuck buying I just dont have the gift. However they were making a video of the class so If I can I will post a link and share with you guys.

#11 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Please do!  I have an antique press I'd like to get som use from.  I rolled a couple of my own cigars last year from tobacco I grew the year before; I pretty much failed in the esthetics department, but the tobacco was excellent and a great smoke.  Of course, I was just winging it.  

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association