Ken Hallenius

Vieux Pontarlier - What's The Word?

The VP is a really fine absinthe, but my guess is that if push came to shove, Pacifique would be your desert island pick between those two.

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes! You are Absomphelutely right! Remembered how heavenly Pacifique was but this glass really brings it home.

After a couple weeks of daily glasses of each and Duplais verte the VP seems to be the one i reach for first. The Pacifique tends to be the smoother? but dammit the VP is rockin'. I really dig them both but can see the VP being the one i would buy more often. So as of today i must retract above statement and say VP would be my desert island choice. But i would be grinding my teeth the whole time having to choose just the one. I'd probably try to cheat and take both.

Edited by Songcatcher

VP is one I really like. It's very sweet to me. Just like candy. When in the mood for sweet, it hits all the right spots. (this coming from someone who's never used sugar, on any absinthe)

I was going to add a bottle to the DUNY order I just placed...but they were out of stock.

VP is one I really like.
ME too.
I was going to add a bottle to the DUNY order I just placed...but they were out of stock.
I noticed that too. Thats why i order from CC. They didn't have the MOL last time but they usually have everything else in stock

I'm coming back to this one today after a few years away from it....

I can tell the similarities between this and the new rocquette which leads me to believe that they changed the base alcohol on most of their products.

the mintiness I remember is still there but I'm getting this big huge punch of eau de vie ... but then again the bottling date on this is pretty fresh (L1215) so maybe with some time to sit that might fade a bit more ? but still, I didn't know they changed most or maybe even all of their products like this which is just a taste that doesn't agree with me

either way I dont think I'll be grabbing more products from EP

Is it possible for an absinthe to go bad? I received a bottle last week and have tried it three times, now, but really don't like it. It has a musty, moldy flavor, as if the water-herb water solution was left over a long, hot weekend before thrown in the still. Has anyone else noticed this with the latest batch?

I have always heard that it is possible for spirits products, as well as wine, to be contaminated with TCA, commonly known as "cork taint". You might just have an example. The classic paradigm is "smells like a basement, tastes like cardboard". If you want to know more, just do a search and read some of the return articles.

Because I have probably what amounts to a lifetime supply of absinthe lying around here, in general I am not buying these days. But if I were, I would probably be very wary of those produced by this distillery until I had heard ongoing reports of far more consistent good quality than I have been hearing for some time now. This is the first time I have posted about this issue, because I'm not one to run with unsubstiantiated rumor or accusations, however at this point I've been hearing of these issues too much and too frequently for quite a while, probably two or three years now.

Any good vendor, whether it's the producer or a re-seller should be willing to make you whole if you are not happy with that bottle. I'd encourage you to look at Stefano's comments in the page 10-11 area of the Sauvage thread. I couldn't agree with him more wholeheartedly. It's about time the absinthe community wakes up and realizes they have choices, and that they have the right to expect everything they should get for what is not a trivial amount of money spent. For Christ's sake, we need to quit handling these problems like we're holding a bag of bad weed bought on a "no deposit, no return" policy. I also agree with Gwydion that we have a long way to go in changing the perception of absinthe being some kind of novelty rather than a legitimate spirit product. And I think one essential element to this change will be the kind of consumerism that applies to any legitimate product in the marketplace.

I completely agree that people should feel free to complain about receiving an inferior or 'off' bottle, but if complain is all you're going to do, it's not going to make much of a difference.

As long as people continue to buy crapsinthe, fauxsinthe, or whatever your pet name for shit in a bottle happens to be, distillers will continue to make it. Bitching will get you only so far. If you're not willing to back your mouth and not give them your money, you've accomplished practically nothing.

I have always heard that it is possible for spirits products, as well as wine, to be contaminated with TCA, commonly known as "cork taint". You might just have an example. The classic paradigm is "smells like a basement, tastes like cardboard". If you want to know more, just do a search and read some of the return articles.

Because I have probably what amounts to a lifetime supply of absinthe lying around here, in general I am not buying these days. But if I were, I would probably be very wary of those produced by this distillery until I had heard ongoing reports of far more consistent good quality than I have been hearing for some time now. This is the first time I have posted about this issue, because I'm not one to run with unsubstiantiated rumor or accusations, however at this point I've been hearing of these issues too much and too frequently for quite a while, probably two or three years now.

Any good vendor, whether it's the producer or a re-seller should be willing to make you whole if you are not happy with that bottle. I'd encourage you to look at Stefano's comments in the page 10-11 area of the Sauvage thread. I couldn't agree with him more wholeheartedly. It's about time the absinthe community wake up and realize they have choices, and that they have the right to expect everything they should get for what is not a trivial amount of money spent. For Christ's sake, we need to quit handling these problems like we're holding a bag of bad weed bought on a "no deposit, no return" policy. I also agree with Gwydion that we have a long way to go in changing the perception of absinthe being some kind of novelty rather than a legitimate spirit product. And I think one essential element to this change will be the kind of consumerism that applies to any legitimate product in the marketplace.

I never imagined that absinthe could also go corked. I thought that the high alcohol content would prevent that. That is why I assumed it may have been a result of the production process. I have sent an email to the vendor, Astor Wines, and will report back on the results.

I can't imagine that Astor won't take care of you. If they have good processes in place they will just push this back up hill to the distributor, then it will go to the importer/supplier, and eventually back to Pernot if everyone in the food chain does thier job. If someone doesn't it will fall in the lap of whoever drops the ball. If so, that's not your fault. You purchased a bottle of what was supposed to be sound booze. You have a right to expect it to be exactly that.

BTW, my guess at TCA contamination is just that; a guess, based on your description. The problem could very well be some other process flaw. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Absinthe isn't supposed to have a "musty, moldy flavor". Something is obviously wrong with that bottle, and you should be made whole. The retail beverage industry, in general, is very good about taking care of these kind of problems, and it should be no different with absinthe.

I purchased a bottle of this from Astor Wines at the start of the month and received it yesterday. I had a glass and had no issue with it, from the perspective of it being bad or "off". It's not as good as the Jades I've tried, but then that is what I expected anyhow.

I don't know if yasbean's bottle was from a bad batch, and mine came from a new one, or if it was a storage issue, but either I got lucky or, perhaps, the issue has been dealt with, at whatever end on which it originated.

So far in my limited experience VP is a fine absinthe, quite pleasing to the palette, but so far I favor Jade CF Berger over most of what I've tried. Just a matter of personal taste.

Having just set up my fountain it occurs to me that I have perhaps not been quite fair enough to View Pontarlier, having had only two glasses of it. That's hardly enough to judge it against 8 other absinthes in any conclusive way. So I'm going to sit down with 3 straight glasses of it right now. Film at 11:00....